Microsoft Begs Users to Stop Using IE6

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hey poor countries like China the people probably cannot afford a new computer. They are probably using Windows ME or something. What Microsoft needs to do is just stop supporting it.
Then who really cares what people do. Apple stopped supporting early versions of Safari. That does not stop people from using it. But eventually web sites stop working properly and users get the hint.

G

Does it matter what browser people use as long as its a recent one. I just don't understand why you would not??

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]If FF didn't' crash all the time with flash I might use it. Chrome? please... Chrome, Opera, etc etc won't ever even get 1% market share.[/citation]
Wow, I had to reread your post several times to believe what I just read. One moronic statement after another. I was unaware that FF browser comes pre-built for rendering Flash. LOL 1% market share for Opera and Chrome? I don't even have to mention that because others covered that...

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]hunter315[/nom]Im glad they are trying to get people to move away from IE6, its old, broken, and non standards compliant. Any software or web pages that requires IE6 to work was built by a moron who wasnt writing good code, IE6 required you to break several rules to accomplish some things which caused FF and others not to work with that page because they followed the rules. IE6 and IE5 were the worst ideas for internet browsers ever and came pretty close to screwing the internet in some cases.[/citation]
I couldn't agree with you more! As soon as I could I stopped supporting IE6 development...

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
don't get me wrong, the new ie9 browser is nice but why would a company force people to the people to stop using a program...they have so much money, they can keep supporting ie6...wtf microsoft?

Nakal

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
I know where i work, we still have some proprietary web front ends that only work with IE6.. wish the devs would get off their collective asses and fix the glaring issues

Nakal

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]If FF didn't' crash all the time with flash I might use it. Chrome? please... Chrome, Opera, etc etc won't ever even get 1% market share.[/citation]
PEBKAC, and LOL

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
After hearing about how MS is begging people to stop using IE6 - I feel the need to set up a few VMs that run nothing but IE6

cpatel1987

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
You know, if your not going to upgrade to IE 8 for free with windows xp, thats your problem. Theres other browsers out there of course, if you don't like the speed of IE 8, at least do it for security and update purposes and use Firefox or Chrome for speed.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
my bet is it is windows 98 user who can not upgrade their IE6 and are not rich or computer savy enough to go out and buy a new os. it's sad but i see it alot among the poor and the old, and you know how old people hate changing more then once a decade after 60+ years of change. makes me wonder how obama got elected...oh yeah free health care for seniors -.-

jisamaniac

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
I'm going to take a stab at this since Douglas doesn't know anything about IE security. In short IE6 has been hacked and re-hacked idk how many times. IE7 and 8 have major security updates that prevents much of the mal-ware and spyware out on the net from entering into users systems's simply by upgrading their IE.

Even if one doesn't with to use IE and wish to use a different browser, great! But it is still imperative to upgrade the service for background system tasks that require IE. This will help many people to over come their virus issues.

Lastly, we don't use IE 6 bc it's ten years old! >

G

you really have no clue.. thats going to the author of this crap article. damn noobs....

G

if the author would not be a complete noob he would know why MS wants the people to stop IE6.
most webdesigner beg for years that IE6 support will be dropped.

there are several websites about this topic.... the author must live in a cave.

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
Older versions of windows (9x, Me, NT) are dependent on IE6 for their updates.
MS had offered update packs for offline use for these operating systems, but does not offer it for newer operating systems.

Might bring us into trouble in a couple of years, when users want to update their 10yrs old Win 7 installation and MS discontinued IE9

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
[citation][nom]alextheblue[/nom]"The anti-IE6 campaign is almost comical at this point. Microsoft, if you are offering a great browser for all users, they will happily drop IE6. Seriously."Interesting stance, you're pinning the blame on Microsoft? There are already plenty of better browsers out there, but for some reason they can't or won't upgrade. That isn't Microsoft's fault. They already offer IE8 for WinXP users, and while it is far from perfect, it is much better than IE6. Then there's Opera, Chrome, and Firefox.Perhaps there's another force at work here. Maybe you could talk to one of your Chinese counterparts, in between their state-sponsored police beatings. Perhaps they're running low-spec Pentium 1s or perhaps late-model 486s (DX4 anyone?), and only visiting Chinese sites tailored for these low grade machines and ancient browsers.[/citation]

And, it was a lot easier to have pirated copies of software that support ie6.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]pjmelect[/nom]A way to get rid of IE6 would be for Microsoft to release SP4 for Windows XP which includes IE8 as well as all of the updates to date.[/citation]As long as the browser part is not mandatory. Like a check box or something. Because there are some corporate machines that are stuck on IE6 for compatibility purposes, and it would cost too much money to convert that software to something more modern. So mandatory would mean that these machines never get SP4 installed, even if it contains other enhancements.

Regardless, I don't think integrating it with a SP will actually do much. Think about it, if they're capable of downloading and installing SP1-3, they're capable of installing IE8 or another browser. They're choosing NOT to for some reason, or they're too incompetent to download any service pack. So bundling IE8 with SP4 wouldn't solve this problem. Not to mention that such bundling would probably get them in hot water with the EU again!

Anyway, maybe these IE6 users in China are on a 2400 baud modem and only use it for telnet, IRC, and text-only email. So they don't really need a service pack or a real browser.[citation][nom]ProDigit10[/nom]Older versions of windows (9x, Me, NT) are dependent on IE6 for their updates.MS had offered update packs for offline use for these operating systems, but does not offer it for newer operating systems.Might bring us into trouble in a couple of years, when users want to update their 10yrs old Win 7 installation and MS discontinued IE9[/citation]
Wait since when is Win7 dependent on IE9 for updates?

Status
Not open for further replies.