Microsoft Bombs Antivirus Tests Yet Again

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Wagenseil

Senior Editor
Apr 11, 2014

This is exactly right.

Paul Wagenseil

Senior Editor
Apr 11, 2014

This is right too. I can't stress enough how important separating admin tasks from daily tasks is to maintaining security.

Paul Wagenseil

Senior Editor
Apr 11, 2014

EMET is a great help, but it's not easy to configure. How many home users are going to set it up on their machines?

Paul Wagenseil

Senior Editor
Apr 11, 2014

To rehash what an earlier poster said, how do you know you're not infected? Efficient malware never tells you it's there.

If you'd rather not pay, I recommend Avira Free Antivirus. It's almost as good as the best paid offerings.

Paul Wagenseil

Senior Editor
Apr 11, 2014

Because Tom's Guide is aimed at the consumer, we didn't report on AV-TEST's separate business-AV round of evaluations. You can find that here, and Sophos and Trend Micro (which was also part of the consumer round) are both on it:
http://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/business-windows-client/

Paul Wagenseil

Senior Editor
Apr 11, 2014

AV-TEST evaluated both, as we noted in the story.

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
The interesting thing is that before MS included MSE/Defender in Windows 8 it always used to score very highly.

Now that it's baked into Windows...it scores very badly in all these 'independent' tests.

Hmmm you'd think some folks would have a vested interest in it scoring badly...

Paul Wagenseil

Senior Editor
Apr 11, 2014

You may be right, but I can't remember it ever performing well. Take a look at this evaluation roundup done on Windows XP in December 2010, in which Microsoft Security Essentials come in near the bottom: http://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/windows-xp/september-2010/

koss64

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
No mention of how many false positives the anti virus programs give, I would imagine that the table would be up sided down, also MSE scores the highest for useability, which is why I use MSE, hassle free and ease of use.

I've used Kaspersky for years, and the only times I need to even go near the software is when I want to. The firewall is very smart about my needs, and for those times when I end up getting ads with driveby kits in them(in spite of adblock), it pops up to let me know that some piece of @#$% just tried to screw with me and failed, then slides out of sight.

I guess, I can see that when I do delve into the menus it can be a little circular maybe, but we're all adults here, we can click on things that sound like they're what we're looking for. So usability is a bit of a crock, imo.

It's all well and good that so many people here seem to think that security essensials is all you'll ever need and all, because who clicks on dumb stuff anyways, but while you can exclusively use a browser with scriptblock and adblock and never see a compromising link in your life, you cannot guaruntee the same for your spouse/children/parents/relatives.

There are ignorant people using the internet, and they would like to continue being able to do so without needing to get a certification in itsec. Stop claiming that MS Defender is all you'll ever need since you're only serving to mislead people into thinking it's a viable solution.

I take it then you have never gotten a support call at 9:00pm from a frantic user who cant browse because Norton decided to randomly block port 80 or an entire campus not being able to browse the internet because Endpoint(yes Norton again, sorry but they have been a thorn in my side most of my adult life) starts blocking the server and random clients from browsing the network and internet. While I agree that enterprise solution may require more than Widows Defender it cannot come at the expense of the sanity of the people who use the computers and the people who have to support them.The solutions at the top very often have steep user requirements and have the stability of a Jenga tower built by a novice just waiting to collapse.

Paul Wagenseil

Senior Editor
Apr 11, 2014

Do you have them both installed? If so, uninstall one of them -- not a good idea to run two separate AV products side-by-side.

ddt529

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
Proprietary software vendors will tell you a different story. Some of those high scoring AVs on this list render those apps unusable. Personally, knowing how to safely navigate the web and access email does far more to prevent infections than any robust AV suite will. I use security essentials on win7 and defender on win8 with malwarebytes as a secondary manual scanner. Cannot remember the last time I got a virus. Also let's talk about ransomware such as cryptowall. A lot of the AVs don't even detect it. Yeah...I'll pass on this evaluation.

chittychitty

Estimable
Mar 30, 2015
Because Bitdefender is first on the list, I downloaded a trial version of their antivirus to give it a shot. The first thing it tried to do, before the software was even installed, was to uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials! If I was a casual user they may have even gotten away with it, but I run other software that prevents sneaky moves like that.

I don't trust Bitdefender, and now I don't trust av-test.

Paul Wagenseil

Senior Editor
Apr 11, 2014

That's exactly what the Bitdefender software should be doing. You don't want to have two different AV solutions running on the same PC, as such a setup would create a substantial performance hit.

I had a relative on my wife's side who was having problems. The computer was essentially unusable and I was asked to take a look at it. Having been down this road before, I asked if she was using AV and malware software, and she said yes, Defender / SE.

I keep 30 day trials on a CD that I took over there and installed one of those mentioned here .... it took several passes but it found over 1200 infections. After that I still had to remove 3 or 4 of them manually.

Kadathan

Honorable
Mar 25, 2013
@Jacknaylor This is my experience. People who say "Defender is all that's necessary! I have it and I never get malware!" Are being naieve. It means you don't click on stupid links, fake buttons, and you know how to safely navigate. It doesn't mean your stock, free AV is the best thing ever, it means you're being safe. Unfortunately many people don't have the experience or knowledge to be safe on the net, and sometimes even the safe people end up exposed some way or another, and in these cases windows defender isn't enough. If you're going around recommending only defender, stop doing that, you're putting people at risk for absolutely no reason.
It's like telling someone else they don't need a helmet because you ride a bike all the time, and never fall off of it or hit anything, so they must also be super good at it and it's completely safe. What's right for you may not be right for others or right at all.

Alpha3031

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013

If you're going for a on demand scanner, Malwarebytes is definitely very good, and the on demand part is free. For normal use a thirty day trial is nice and all, and good for convincing someone to buy it, but a computer usually needs AV for more than that. :)

Paul Wagenseil

Senior Editor
Apr 11, 2014

Malwarebytes is great if you're already infected and you need to remove things. But it won't do much, if anything, to prevent infection in the first place.

The nice thing is that since it's not really antivirus software, it won't interfere with the real thing. The optimal setup is to have serious AV software to block infection, and Malwarebytes to scan weekly or so (it'll pick up the non-malicious things that AV software often ignores, like browser hijackers). And then, of course, account segregation, EMET, etc....

Status
Not open for further replies.