Microsoft, Bungie Get Sued Over Halo 3, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

festerovic

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
wow what a dumbass. To have the expectation that software is flawless in 2009 is ignorant.

MSFT will settle out of court for a new controller and a lag switch.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I think his X-Box was just overheating, probably because he was playing the game 18+ hours a day. Not that it was Halo 3's fault, but I remember the heat issues with the first gen were pretty severe. I also remember people complaining about the inefficiency of 3rd-party coolers, when they should have been complaining about the XBox itself. Oh well, you buy Microsoft, you assume they're gonna screw you over somehow.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
You know, I go back and forth on these lawsuits. On the one hand, I side with captaincharism who referred to these guys as, "ignorant losers trying to make a quick buck." On the other hand, companies get into the practice of releasing beta-test quality software as RTM with the attitude of, "We'll just release a bug-fix for the problems that come up." In that case, I think it's good that they get spanked every once in a while to remind them that this is not an acceptable business model.

ricardok

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
jellico, even tho MS may release some (most) softwares with bugs I fail to see how one Halo 3 copy would freeze just his console and no other. Seems to be a 2006 console that is failing but it hasn't RROD yet. Why not just claim a warranty for the 360? It's cheaper..

@shrex maybe he is his own attorney and he is taking legal classes.

mustwarnothers

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
The biggest problem with these trivial lawsuits is that the average human being picked for jury duty tends to be a total dumb ass.

If a case makes its way to court, jurors picked at random quite often award massive settlements to human beings so idiotic and devoid of common sense that it's surprising they can feed themselves on a daily basis without being injured.

Yet, time and time again, these people walk away with millions of dollars, all the while driving up Insurance Rates for the rest of us.

G

never had a problem you know you why. cause i have a ps3 and they dont do that.

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
Come on, if it was freezing and other games were fine, try exchanging for another disk. This suit should be thrown out on the account that he is an idiot of the highest caliber.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
I'd consider Halo 3 one of the cleaner titles to be released. I've had far buggier games in the past. Played through the entire campaign in one sitting (As did many other people I'm sure) without problems, this guy just wants some easy money.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
why not just try to sue over ODST bans :) that'd make a little more sense. m$ is effectively tampering with your console when they do that and not allowing you to use your online content you buy.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]njkid3[/nom]never had a problem you know you why. cause i have a ps3 and they dont do that.[/citation]

Yeah. PS3's only have problems with dying blu-ray drivers. Not that those are really necessary. Only had to replace my PS3 twice.

kentlowt

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
[citation][nom]shrex[/nom]how much do you think that guy is spending trying to sue them[/citation]
I will cost him nothing but a retainer fee. The lawyer does the work for his cut of the lawsuit settlement. Yet microsoft will spend thousands on lawyers and research just to answer the lawyers discovery questions and make the the first court appearance. Yes it is that messed up...

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]RicardoK[/nom]jellico, even tho MS may release some (most) softwares with bugs I fail to see how one Halo 3 copy would freeze just his console and no other. Seems to be a 2006 console that is failing but it hasn't RROD yet. Why not just claim a warranty for the 360? It's cheaper..@shrex maybe he is his own attorney and he is taking legal classes.[/citation]
Hey, I agree with you. It's far less trouble to get your Xbox serviced, or to exchange your copy of Halo 3. But, for some people it's all about the reckoning (or the money, in the case of frivolous lawsuits).

As for the cost of attorney fees... well, if he can find a lawyer who thinks the defending company will settle (which is what most of these ambulance chasers are looking for; they really don't want to end up in court), then the case would be taken on contingency. Basically, if he wins and the company pays a settlement, the lawyer takes a third off the top, then the legal expenses sans the lawyer's fee will be deducted, and if there's anything left he'll get his payday.

This is why lawyers make so much on lawsuits and the victims get so little. One of the main lawyers who sued the DOW-Corning over health problem supposedly caused by breast implants made over a billion dollars in fees from the class action suit. It bankrupted DOW-Corning not once, but twice. The victims received between $10,000 and $250,000 each. In 2006, having found no evidence that silicon breast implant cause ANY health problems, the FDA once again approved them for use in elective breast augmentation surgery. The scumbag lawyers, however, don't have to give back any of the money from their fallacious and frivolous lawsuits. You gotta love our legal system!

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
However, Halo 3 does not function with the Xbox 360, and to the contrary, attempted use of Halo 3 consistently causes the Xbox 360 to 'crash,' 'freeze' or 'lock up' while the game is being played.

My Halo 3 was a launch disk, never had a problem. My Xbox was a launch model, didn't have a problem. Must have been a widespread problem for sure...................

The legal system is way overdue for an overhaul!

Status
Not open for further replies.