Microsoft Confirms 64GB Zune HD, Price

Status
Not open for further replies.

aethm

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
Nice... if I was in the market for an upscale MP3 player, I'd give this a serious look. I've always liked the Zune and would buy this hands down over an iPod. Just to be different of course :)

Ehsan w

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
I got my iPid 32gb, and I'm quite happy with it.
Don't get me wrong, I actually hate everything else apple makes, including the ipad...
But I don't think me or my friends would even want anything else now.... They're just too late.

rmmil978

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
So this will be the same exact device, just more memory? I owned the 32 GB version for one day. I was debating Ipod Touch or Zune HD endlessly and I ended up going for it considering the OLED screen. But after actually using it, I decided it just wasn't for me. I decided on getting the Touch after all, but then I got a DROID...which kinda made it a moot point. A major overhaul of the Zune HD probably won't happen until next Fall. If they correct a few issues I might pick one up.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
20-hours of HD-video into 64GB? Is that scaled for the Zune screen? If so, it won't be so high-def when I display it on my TV, which sorta makes it non-HD-video, doesn't it? I mean, thats 2GB/hour, which isn't even DVD-quality video. And if they compress it, at what point does the compression cancel out the HD-ness of it?

I just never thought of it before, but I don't like the way those numbers add up. HD means HD, not up-converted HD.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]20-hours of HD-video into 64GB? Is that scaled for the Zune screen? If so, it won't be so high-def when I display it on my TV, which sorta makes it non-HD-video, doesn't it? I mean, thats 2GB/hour, which isn't even DVD-quality video. And if they compress it, at what point does the compression cancel out the HD-ness of it? I just never thought of it before, but I don't like the way those numbers add up. HD means HD, not up-converted HD.[/citation]
Ok, so apparently you can edit comments posted on Tom's Hardware, but not Tom's Guide? Strange. Anyway, its 3GB/hour, which is better than DVD, but no where near Blu-Ray, so I'm not sure how HD this really is.

G

hellwig - i have gladiator and a few other films at 720p (which is what the zune outputs i believe) and they are 6gig roughly so i suppose they're working it out at 3gig/hr like you said which is still in hd, just not 1080p....and they can reduce the quality of sound as i doubt you can hook it up to a decent dolby dts/hd receiver. i would like to try a zune but as microsoft wont sell them over here i can only guess and look at the pretty pics :(

SirCrono

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Owning a Zune HD (16 GB) i can account that the HD video is 720p when outputted to a TV, it's compressed obiously, and just FYI, good compression does not decrease picture quality (at least not noticeably), crappy compression on the other hand, well, that's another story.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
I have an ipod touch, and im sorry but Microsoft needs to just give up this battle and focus on Xbox. They will never get have the broad freeware platform to become as powerful a tool... unless it runs windows.

Kraynor

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
Need worldwide sales... I've been keeping myself happy with a 16gb card for my phone waiting on a 64gb one of these babies. Very tempted to just import one.

thedreadfather

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]20-hours of HD-video into 64GB? Is that scaled for the Zune screen? If so, it won't be so high-def when I display it on my TV, which sorta makes it non-HD-video, doesn't it? I mean, thats 2GB/hour, which isn't even DVD-quality video. And if they compress it, at what point does the compression cancel out the HD-ness of it? I just never thought of it before, but I don't like the way those numbers add up. HD means HD, not up-converted HD.[/citation]
It's not upconverted when you plug it into the dock. I mean I guess it is comparatively upscaled from 480x272 to 1280x720, but the 720p video resolution doesn't change, only the "monitor." It's the same concept of watching a 1080p video on a 1280x1024 monitor: it's still HD video, but it is downscaled to fit the resolution.

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Personally, I'd only be interested in an MP3 player sporting Creative's X-Fi Crystalizer effect. That pretty much means Creative Zen only for me at the moment... (You should notice I care little for its video functions - I'd be happier without them as it'd cost less.)

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
My wife got me a Zune HD 32GB for my birthday back in February, and I've been extremely happy with it. The sound quality is great. Controls work well and are easy to get used to. HD radio is awesome! Internet access is pretty slick, and it's nice to have a wifi enabled device that fits in my pocket. Apps are still wanting, but that will come in time. Battery life is fantastic! About the only thing I would change is that I would allow for a user defined equalizer instead of just presets. But I can live with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.