Microsoft Details Next Xbox Live Dashboard Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
The online feature is always the strength of Xbox360 (though we have to pay to use part (if not most)of the cool stuffs).
Good job MS.... now... please spend more time and money to make the hardware part as good and as "reliable" as the Xbox live experience...
well.... nobody is perfect... I guess....

Kill@dor

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Wow, not a bad way to imporve the XBOX 360 experience. I personally like the party system, although it still has a lot of improvement needed. Flipping through a lot of screens is a downer...but on click invites will work well in the update.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
I think almost everyone would rather see a hardware update than a software update. This model is getting pretty old now.....I know they wanna get their mileage out of it, but they didn't exactly cling on to the original xbox for even this long.

Lets see a new model! (and I don't just mean a bigger hard drive)

reddragon72

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Ok well here is an issue that will come up for debate... the on demand games are yours to keep, ok how much are they? and if you get banned for any reason and I mean any reason you will loose those games cause you know they will be DRM'd to your tag and can only be played once you connect online. If you are banned from Live you can still play all your cuurent games you have, they cannot block you from local play, but the on demand games will be lost, and I think that is a major ripoff, considering anyone can get anyone banned, just by putting in bogus complaints about them...

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
This is good news. Everyone that complains about the $50.00 a year access fee need to go eat crow.

I don't have a problem paying for this fee since it obviously gets me newer and faster updates.

Sony can't even hold on to HULU!!!

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
This is good news. Everyone that complains about the $50.00 a year access fee need to go eat crow.

Remember though, you do not have to have XBL gold to get updates. People like me who mostly play single-player RPGs download demos and updates without Gold membership.

maigo

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
I don't really like the dashboard, its just the thing that gets in the way of me playing a game. You CAN play music when ever you want, so that's cool

skittle

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
Why dont they update the media capabilities instead... Im sure they are plenty of us xbox owners who would love to finally have 5.1 aac support and possibly the Matroska container.

giovanni86

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
The hardware is there stop whining. I give it another 2 or 3 years before a next gen console is announced. And i like it that way, give me plenty of time to enjoy this console. From the looks of it there is no NEED for a new console anyways. There is no dramatic difference in graphics or the amount of CPU power needed in games today. The updates look great, i am looking forward to them all on my Xbox. Xbox 360 has the best dashboard hands down, beats the crap out of PS3's.

Sicundercover

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
[citation][nom]skittle[/nom]Why dont they update the media capabilities instead... Im sure they are plenty of us xbox owners who would love to finally have 5.1 aac support and possibly the Matroska container.[/citation]

Ill second this. You know how much of a pain it is to convert .mkv to wmv its a nightmare but Ive finally gotten it down to a tight workflow.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]scook9[/nom]I think almost everyone would rather see a hardware update than a software update. This model is getting pretty old now.....I know they wanna get their mileage out of it, but they didn't exactly cling on to the original xbox for even this long.Lets see a new model! (and I don't just mean a bigger hard drive)[/citation]

i dont think a total overhaul would be nessicary

maybe a die shrink of the cpu and gpu down to 45 nm (it started at 90 nm and currently is at 65 nm) , then over clock them some as teh new die size would alow more speed with less heat , add about 25-50% more ram to teh system , and that would really knock thigns up on what the xbox 360 could do , but in genral leave the basical hardware alone because a new system is not warrented right now in teh economical times
as for lifting older 360's up to this they could make a ram batch taht plugs to the front side memory stoarage slots but make the syste,m use it as system ram older ssytems might not be able to do newer games in 1080 p but they woudltn avhe a problem dealling at 720 p this way

waffle911

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
[citation][nom]giovanni86[/nom]The hardware is there stop whining.
[/citation]

Well, maybe, but TBH it's pretty unreliable. That's the real problem, is longevity. The heat issues point to a product released way before it was ready. I have a bunch of old consoles spanning back to the original NES, and they all still work (though the NES is finicky as it always has been). If I'm lucky, I can't count on my 360 lasting more than a few more years, which conveniently, is about when the next one is expected to come out. And being stuck with "officially approved" HDD's and wireless adapters is worse than any Apple product that I know of. Heck, the PS3 doesn't care what HDD you put in it, but he 360 requires you to buy the ultra-outrageously-overpriced and under-performing HD that they say will work with it. It's a 2.5" SATA drive inside that cartridge, for crying out loud! I want to be able to actually use the feature of ripping games to the HD so the loud and too-hot optical drive doesn't need to be working ovrertime to kill the whole system, and I want the benefits of faster loading times that come with using the HD for game storage. But the 20GB my system came with ain't gonna cut it, and I don't feel like paying $90 for an under-powered 802.11b wireless adapter. Sure, there are other options for the wireless (an eternal WiFi bridge setup as a network adapter, but seen as an Ethernet LAN connection) but the HD is a ripoff. I can get a good 320GB 7200RPM SATA drive that can fit in the XBOX for $80, but I have to pay $140 for an "approved" 120GB 4200RPM SATA drive. I can pay $55 for the equivalent 5400RPM SATA drive, and it'll be faster. So why not just put in a larger, cheaper third-party drive? Because Micorsoft put in a special firmware key that rejects non-MS-branded drives. You can spoof it for some drives, but nothing larger than 120GB, and it has to be a specific model as well.

[citation][nom]giovanni86[/nom]There is no dramatic difference in graphics or the amount of CPU power needed in games today.
[/citation]

Only because, for consoles, they only make the game as good looking as the hardware can allow. If they had better hardware to work with, they'd use as much of it as possible. Even though the 360 wowed me with it's graphics, it wasn't long before I could pick out all of the problems with it's rendering engine. Across the board, it seems like no-one can figure out how to make colors, lighting, and textures consistently accurate or glitch-free. The PS3 games do a much better job with this, and I'm willing to bet that there's a little more going on than just the developers' effort in paying attention to detail, and even Gran Turismo 4 on PS2 does significantly better than Forza 2 in these regards, even with less polygons.

[citation][nom]giovanni86[/nom]The updates look great, i am looking forward to them all on my Xbox. Xbox 360 has the best dashboard hands down, beats the crap out of PS3's.
[/citation]

Well, I can't speak much of the PS3's dashboard, but I can tell you I prefer the old XBOX dashboard over the cluttered, confused "NXE" dashboard. The "OXE" was much more user friendly. Turn your console on now, and what does it do? It puts the marketplace up front and center. It wants you to get distracted and buy things. And what happened to things like dashboard themes? things like that that people already payed money for that were ruined by the NXE. And I liked it even better before I connected to XBL and got bombarded with advertisements before actually even playing a game. Hell, I'd take the Wii's homepage over the NXE any day.

Status
Not open for further replies.