Microsoft Exec Bets Dilbert-creator $1000 He'll Like WP7

Status
Not open for further replies.

TEAMSWITCHER

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
The iPhone is not a seriously flawed device. I do agree that the on screen keyboard leaves much to be desired, but a slide out key-board can add a significant amount of bulk. A phone is a very size restrictive device, I doubt an optimal solution even exists.

rajeshsundaram

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
It is not the OS, blame the manufacturers who adds a poor battery and lousy processors to the phone. Infact these stuffs are called Android Phones regardless of the manufacturer. And for the manufacturers faults the OS developer takes the punch in face.

Does anyone say" my iOS phone"?? no they just say "my iPhone".

Does anyone say "my samsung android, my HTC android, my Motorola Android"? No, they just say "my Android phone". Poor Google.

pinkfloydminnesota

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]TEAMSWITCHER[/nom]A phone is a very size restrictive device, I doubt an optimal solution even exists.[/citation]
How about voice recognition software? Thought recognition software? Limited imagination some?

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]rajeshsundaram[/nom]It is not the OS, blame the manufacturers who adds a poor battery and lousy processors to the phone[/citation]
But an OS that constantly bombards the CPU and RAM will therefore use more power, so the OS can be responsible.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]pinkfloydminnesota[/nom]How about voice recognition software? Thought recognition software? Limited imagination some?[/citation]

Right, because I want a phone I have to talk into working. Or any device that reads my thoughts at all...

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]rajeshsundaram[/nom]It is not the OS, blame the manufacturers who adds a poor battery and lousy processors to the phone. Infact these stuffs are called Android Phones regardless of the manufacturer. And for the manufacturers faults the OS developer takes the punch in face.Does anyone say" my iOS phone"?? no they just say "my iPhone".[/citation]

But *IT IS* also the OS. Remember, Android is based off Linux... I believe iOS is more designed ground as a Phone OS then Migrated to iOS for tablets and iPods.

Most Android phones have HUGE screens.. and they still want to make them bigger. Look at the Galaxy II with 4.3" screens or Dell's 5" phones?! My 4" Samsung is painfully too large that drains power.

Give Apple credit for marketing and market position. I refer to my phone as an Android, Samsung for a type. But my iPad is an iPad... everything else is a tablet from XYZ.

PS: I run a Windows7 Style launcher on my Samsung Android... makes the phone far more enjoyable to use,

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
As an Android phone user... I must admit, I'm impressed with WP7 operations. I still don't like some aspects of WP7 in the background and how it handles memory cards.

But WP7 is very easy to work with, which is important when using a 4" screen device.

I added a WP7 Launcher to my Android, replacing the default interface... I love it. Yet it doesn't even have half the functionality. Some people are working on that, making WP7 style widgets.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]rajeshsundaram[/nom]It is not the OS, blame the manufacturers who adds a poor battery and lousy processors to the phone. Infact these stuffs are called Android Phones regardless of the manufacturer. And for the manufacturers faults the OS developer takes the punch in face.Does anyone say" my iOS phone"?? no they just say "my iPhone". Does anyone say "my samsung android, my HTC android, my Motorola Android"? No, they just say "my Android phone". Poor Google.[/citation]
Agreed. I bring this point up everytime someone tries to berate Google for "closing down android" whenever they put in restrictions about phone quality, marketplace access, etc... If Samsung, HTC, Motorolla, or that nerd in his mom's basement don't like a decision Google is making, they are FREE to take the android source code and develop their own OS. Of course, if they make changes, they are NOT allowed to call it Android, and they probably won't have access to Google's Marketplace (for those hundreds of thousands of apps).

Firefox is open-source, but if you compile your own browser, you are not allowed to call it Firefox. Ubuntu Linux is open source, but you can't call your modified OS Ubuntu. Yet cell phone makers put android on sub-par phones, manipulate the interface with Sense or Motoblur, and STILL CALL IT Android. They should be so lucky. If Google wanted, they could force the "Android" name to only be used on vanilla Android builds. Imagine Samsung trying to sell you their latest Galaxy 3D cell phone running the powerful "Linux-based Samsung Phone OS!!!" Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Think about it this way, a computer running Windows is referred to as a PC. Your average person doesn't say "I need a new Windows Computer", they say "I need a new PC". If Windows is slow, it's probably not Microsoft's fault, it's probably your fault for trying to run Windows 7 with 256MB of RAM on a P3 800MHz processor. Don't go crying to Microsoft because the computer you bought from "Discount PC Manufacturers" was too crappy to run the OS installed. Just as you shouldn't go complaining to Google when LG puts Android 2.3 on a 600MHz processor with only 256MB ram and 256MB flash storage, buy a better phone next time.

Android is just software, it only runs as well as the hardware you put it on. With IceCream Sandwich, Google is finally taking back control over the hardware aspect. If you're going to call your phone an Android Phone, Google is going to make sure it's capable of running Android. If you don't want to follow Google's product specifications, take the source code, call it something different, and sell your crappy phones, good luck getting a good customer base.

TheCapulet

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
[citation][nom]fanofdilbert-notadams[/nom]As much as I like the Dilbert Series, Scott Adams is a complete loon so there is no reasons to respond to what he says or even read his blog. He does good comics but academically and socially he is a lost case: http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula [...] _learn.php[/citation]
Lol, so you don't like him because an atheist blogger complains about him all the time? Get back in line, sheep.

70camaross396

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
I have been running a Samsung Focus with WP7 for about 3 months. I love this phone. the number one complaint most people have about thier phones is that it has crappy reception or the volume is not loud enough.

I think that a the number one priority of a smartphone, reguardless of the OS, should be the ability to make high quality phone calls. everything else is secondary. all of the current WP7 phone do this well. unlike the iphone4. All of the Nokia and Samsung phones are great sounding phones and the reception has been great. I am really looking forward to a WP7 phone from Nokia.

My second priority in a smartphone would be Texting / Email. All of the current touchscreen phones do this poorly. For someone like me that has big fingers, it is hard to work the small touch screen keyboards on some phones. The Samsung Focus and my previous Dell Streak, have work ok for me, but the screen on the Streak is to large for a phone. dont even think of putting a Streek in you pocket. it wont fit.

The Best WP7 phone for email and texting i have used so far is the Dell Venue Pro. Unfortunatly it is locked to T-mobile. I have had no problems AT&T, unlike most iphone users and really dont want to switch companies for a phone. I really hate the exclucivity agreements that phone companies are forcing on hardware venders. It is like buying a car and being told you can only fill up at a 7-11.

silver565

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
This is why Microsoft have done well(In my mind anyway).

They've made minimum requirements that manufactures have to meet. Pretty good requirements too!

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]rajeshsundaram[/nom]It is not the OS, blame the manufacturers who adds a poor battery and lousy processors to the phone. [/citation]Actually the software has a huge impact on battery life. From everything I've seen, WP7 gets excellent battery life.[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]As an Android phone user... I must admit, I'm impressed with WP7 operations. I still don't like some aspects of WP7 in the background and how it handles memory cards.[/citation]It handles the memory cards like that for a reason, and personally I like it. I can understand why some people might dislike it, but it just appeals to me, and I don't even own a WP7 device. I constantly run into people that don't know what to do when their internal memory fills up on a phone. Get a decent sized memory card and move apps to the it? Oh but then they've got photos, movies, music, all sorts of trash to move. It gets old helping people juggle storage between internal memory and memory card.

With a WP7 device, you buy a nice big memory card, slap it in there and it merges with the built-in memory. One big storage drive, no user intervention required. If you've got 16GB internal and you slap in a WP7 compatible 32GB card, you've got 48GB of main memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS