Microsoft Exec: Windows Phone Outselling iPhone in China

Status
Not open for further replies.

outlw6669

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
After using both iOS and WP7.5 Tango, I can say that WP7 is defiantly a better OS.
Even with somewhat basic specs, the OS is butter smooth, intuitive and very usable.
Unfortunately I have not yet had a stock Android device (read: Google Nexus device, I am staunchly against the multitude of skins in the market) to compare with either; maybe when Jelly Bean is released...

G

ICS FTW!

After using all three, I resort back to Android, new HTC One is awesome!

gavenr

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
the problem with the windows phone is the marketplace. I am currently using the WP7 and there is just not enough to keep up with android and apple. The free game selection is terrible. Also i would like a app for my bank account and other things i use throughout the day. I hope it gets more popular so it can be up to par with androids apps.

G

Did they mention Android phones outsell Windows Phones in China too?

Northwestern

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
The three things you should focus on when questioning a smartphone OS is Performance, Usability and App Market. As obvious, iOS has the largest App Market with Android trailing behind. However Android has a lead against iOS with usability, but is not performance friendly. WP7.5 can best both in performance and usability, but you are dead last if you want a good App Market.

With that said, Microsoft should work on it's market over everything else if they want to gain some ground outside China.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I don't understand the obsession with the number of units sold. Sure, it's important to place some emphasis on it, but when Apple takes in nearly 75% of the smartphone profits across the world, what use is "number of units sold", really?

What all companies should be focused on is to take profits away from Apple, not just dumping thousands of cheaper handhelds into the market and calling it a day, all the while not making that much money to begin with.

G

[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]What all companies should be focused on is to take profits away from Apple, not just dumping thousands of cheaper handhelds into the market and calling it a day, all the while not making that much money to begin with.[/citation]

It's a typical defense mechanism that the numerous MORON Android trolls on this site use to convince themselves that Android isn't a garbage platform. Congratulations on your millions of free boost mobile / cricket / us cellular android phones; market share does not equal profit.

outlw6669

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]What all companies should be focused on is to take profits away from Apple, not just dumping thousands of cheaper handhelds into the market and calling it a day, all the while not making that much money to begin with.[/citation]
I think that by buying into an alternate ecosystem (Android/Windows marketplace vs Apples App store) and by blocking a sale to Apple they are taking profits away from Apple.

As a side argument, if another company is happy with their profit margin when not gouging their customers, why should they raise the price on their devices?
Just because a phone is expensive does not mean that it needs to be in order for the company to turn a respectable profit.
Besides, decent quality at a low price is nothing but good for the consumer by driving competition.

tomrippity02

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
[citation][nom]droidmadu[/nom]It's a typical defense mechanism that the numerous MORON Android trolls on this site use to convince themselves that Android isn't a garbage platform. Congratulations on your millions of free boost mobile / cricket / us cellular android phones; market share does not equal profit.[/citation]

Why do I as an Android user care how much money the companies producing my phone make? All I care about is the OS experience.

Secondly, and more to the point of the poster before you, by giving away the phones or offering phones and a lower price, they ARE taking money out of Apples pockets. Less market share for Apple means less profits as well...

And generall speaking, market share DOES equal profit. If they have twice the market share of Apple, it does not necessarily mean they are making twice as much money, but they are making more money than they would be with less market.

If Android were really a "garbage platform" it would have never taken off the way that is has these past few years. I really enjoy iOS and I think WP7 is great, but I love my Android. Not just the software, but also the hardware. Phones are more than just the software that resides in them. If I don't find the screen and camera satisfactory, I wouldn't purchase. I will reconsider iPhones if/when they come out with a 4+ inch screen.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Ummm, I dont think Chinese consumers are as gullible and faithful as the hype-dazzled MSM managed iSheeple. Windows phones offer a more open and user controlled experience than any of the handyourwallet iJail phones put out by Apple. Windows has gone from having a negative rap on issues of proprietary controls, to being a beacon of freedom-- perhaps the greatest achievement of the con-artist backroom dealer Mr Jobs, ( some would say, besides defrauding his faithful zombies).

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
the problem with the windows phone is the marketplace. I am currently using the WP7 and there is just not enough to keep up with android and apple.

I doubt what you are saying. Windows Phone 7 Marketplace Hit 50000 Apps in Dec of 2011. And most banks have issued banking apps for the Windows phone.

spookyman

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
thats because you can hack the Windows Phone. I bet some enterprising Chinese hacked it to be able to chat without the government monitoring them.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]spookyman[/nom]thats because you can hack the Windows Phone. I bet some enterprising Chinese hacked it to be able to chat without the government monitoring them.[/citation]
i think you are referring to the us government, lol....sad but true, what's more sad is that most people still think the US is still the land of the free

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
Just two points I want to make...

First I don't care about who is buying what. I care about what 'I' am going to buy. If this article had stated that the current most popular handset being sold was an original iPhone, I would not rush out to try and track one down. THAT action is the essence of following the crowd.
I want a handset, OS and market place as an all round package that is best for me... and me alone.

My second point is more about the comments here about MS's marketplace. They have stated many times in previous press releases and articles that they are developing (and have already started rolling out to app developers) a simple, unified app development kit and are planning to flood their new marketplace when Windows Phone 8 (Apollo) launches later this year.

Lets not forget that WP7 was a completely new OS and in some way a test bed and the current updates (Mango/Tango) are preparing the OS for a fully supported user experience when WP8 is launched.

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]i think you are referring to the us government, lol....sad but true, what's more sad is that most people still think the US is still the land of the free[/citation]

America was never 'the land of the free'. That is a misnomer and is misquoted... The white settlers said it was 'free land'...

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
[citation][nom]droidmadu[/nom]It's a typical defense mechanism that the numerous MORON Android trolls on this site use to convince themselves that Android isn't a garbage platform. Congratulations on your millions of free boost mobile / cricket / us cellular android phones; market share does not equal profit.[/citation]
Market share is still important if you want profits. Visibility of your product drives sales and well as how much you can sell it for. Microsoft is currently trying to get into the game late, so it is pretty big that they gain market share.

tomrippity02

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
[citation][nom]schizofrog[/nom]America was never 'the land of the free'. That is a misnomer and is misquoted... The white settlers said it was 'free land'...[/citation]

Eh? Land of the free... home of the brave...

Hard to misquote a song so popular ...

ehenry818

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
I have not used a windows phone, so I am not sure about the overall experience. If windows phone is doing well and has a good amount of apps, why doesn't MS use that as its tablet platform? MS has tried for years to produce a decent tablet and phone. Why not keep the 2 markets separate?
I think what MS should have done is enhance windows 7 experience. I think what would have been nice, is multiple desktop you can swipe between with even with a track pad. Instead of doing away with the "Start Button" they could have done something like android with clicking a button and have icons come up, or even folders like android. From what I have seen of the metro interface, it just seems so crowded on the screens.
I love windows 7 and feel, if they incorporated features of a tablet into in for laptops and desktops that would have been a great reason to upgrade to windows 8.
Oh another cool feature which would have been cool, is if they have multiple screens, they could allow different profiles for different screens.
That would work great if the pc is powerful enough. For me I have a powerful desktop running as a htpc. I would love to have a screen for the kids, a screen for me, a screen for connecting remotely too. Etc. If MS did something like that for windows 8 and took there windows phone and made it very simple for people to connect to one of the desktops, I think that would have really helped them break into the tablet market.
But ohh well, I will continue to buy my android tablets, as windows tablets are just lame.

Status
Not open for further replies.