Microsoft Files Patent for "Inconspicuous Mode" on Phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

christarp

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]Could be useful...but needs to be on Android. Why couldn't Samsung have thought of this.[/citation]
cause samsung doesn't think of anything

contentsmayvary

Honorable
May 28, 2012
Prior art exists, such as:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.GriggSoft.TheaterMode&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5HcmlnZ1NvZnQuVGhlYXRlck1vZGUiXQ..

abbadon_34

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
What's so hard about using your phone with the sound turned off? Or turning the brightness down? Or maybe just watching the movie your paid for? I don't get it.

G

lol @ that hack job of an app. An app to dim the phone? And a _future_release_ of the app will include profiles? For a phone that ALREADY has user-settable profiles?

I hope whoever wrote that is making money from fools, because to plop that app out there for free is to make a fool of the author.

fnh

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012
I thought the dimmed screen feature on my Samsung Focus was already an 'inconspicuous mode'. Though an ability to match volume levels to ambient levels would be most welcome.

contentsmayvary

Honorable
May 28, 2012
@Xperiabaddphone: Yeah, looks like a crap app. That's irrelevant. I bet it still works better than the NOT YET EVEN EXISTING feature for which MS has applied for a patent. :)

See, the point is that there is prior art for the proposed feature, but I guess all you heard was a whooshing sound just now?

G

Prior art does account for "quality" broadly defined. Don't know what patent process you're referring to here.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
Motorola Smart Actions can do this and I'm sure there are a few other Smart Actions like programs that have profiles that can do this as well, nothing new.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
"...and possibly even brightness detection to allow auto-switching into the mode."
So, if your phone is in your pocket (not a very bright environment), you miss your notifications because the sound was muffled?
That's gonna work out great.

chill1221

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
Can people really not sit through a movie without the need to get on their phone? That's kinda sad if you think about it...

classzero

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]Could be useful...but needs to be on Android. Why couldn't Samsung have thought of this.[/citation]
Samsung will copy, er I mean innovate this.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
@Chill1221
The young folks today often feel the need to be connecting to each other non stop. Weird but it's the world we're in.

@Classzero
Samsung's version would likely be able to differentiate between being in a pocket and being in a dark theater.

Status
Not open for further replies.