Microsoft Just Bought 800+ Patents from AOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

ang1dust

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010
Dang, I am surprised they just don't do what Apple does. Infringe patents and hope they don't notice because its cheaper to ask for forgiveness then it is to ask for permission. Am i right?

vilenjan

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
doesn't surprise me, aol was one of pioneering company when ti came to early web usage, so it would make sense that they hold a good deal of patents related to various web based applications.

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
What does AOL do anymore?
[citation][nom]ang1dust[/nom]Dang, I am surprised they just don't do what Apple does. Infringe patents and hope they don't notice because its cheaper to ask for forgiveness then it is to ask for permission. Am i right?[/citation]Companies seem to be building up a defense against patent infringement. The lawsuits seem to be used as a weapon nowadays

bhaberle

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
AOL is now the owner of content publishing sites that get revenue through ads. they also have their own advertising system that generates them revenue too.

dilharo

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
Why patents bought from one company to sue another not called patent troll..??
microsoft making history here....while all govt is after poor google!!

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]dilharo[/nom]Why patents bought from one company to sue another not called patent troll..??microsoft making history here....while all govt is after poor google!![/citation]
MS making history? They aren't the first company to do that and won't be the last either. They can't be called a patent troll until their intent is shown, MS has done their share of suing based on patents but they have also allowed a lot of free use without licensing before as well. Maybe this is protection patents or defensive patents or maybe they will go full troll and attack everyone we don't know yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.