Microsoft Kin Cut Ballmer's Yearly Bonus in Half

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
The CEO paradigm needs to be sorely gotten rid of. You have one fat pompous idiot at the top collecting boatloads of cash that would better serve the company by spreading it among the areas of the company that work hard and make the most difference or at least on ways of improving the product.

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
[citation][nom]lukeiamyourfather[/nom]Who said it was about the work being done? Jumping in early and taking the risk is why he get's a bonus.[/citation]

That's the problem with this Capitalisitic society. They value risk more than the actual work done. And if you think about it, if less work is done, how could there be more money? Things don't balance.

zachary k

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
to all who are saying "oh, he makes so much money, i dont make that much money, booo hooo", he worked hard to get where he is today, make tough decisions, and deal with a lot of crap, just because he sits in an office all day does not mean he does not work as hard as the people on the assembly line, mental labor is just as hard as physical labor, just look at his hairline.

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
[citation][nom]warezme[/nom]The CEO paradigm needs to be sorely gotten rid of. You have one fat pompous idiot at the top collecting boatloads of cash that would better serve the company by spreading it among the areas of the company that work hard and make the most difference or at least on ways of improving the product.[/citation]
I second that! +1

G

I imagine that his cost of living is comparable to mine.
The pad rent for my old 40 year trailer costs me 325 a month plus taxes.
His cost of living is probably enormous. I bet the upkeep cost of his house is in the thousands per month.
Rich people have a lot of costs. If you have a large outdoor swimming pool the cost of heating it can be astronomical. A simple thing like a BBQ with friends probably costs a few thousand as well.
I bet just the insurance for his car is more than my annual income. ($5500 per yr)
So all in all the man needs a lot to pay his costs so quit knocking his well earned wealth.

dustcrusher

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2010
[citation][nom]jellico[/nom]If you feel you're worth more, then get another job or start your own business. But don't whine about the success of others...[/citation]
I think Lewis's point was that when the number's that big, even cutting it in half isn't much of a penalty. I doubt Ballmer's losing a lot of sleep over it.

The Kin was a specialized featurephone and with a $10 data package it would've done alright. They were better than most of the featurephones Verizon had at the time (I know that's not saying a lot). Problem is, the Kin was positioned as a full smartphone instead of an in-between device, and customers realized this and opted to wait for the next buy-one-get-one deal.

If nothing else, the cloud storage portion sounded like it was done really, really well.

G

I think Lewis's point was that when the number's that big, even cutting it in half isn't much of a penalty. I doubt Ballmer's losing a lot of sleep over it.

Actually because the number is that big it is that much of a penalty. He is now out 33 Ivory Back Scratchers!

levin70

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
Ballmer is the beneficial owner of in excess of 408 million shares of microsoft stock. At over $24 per share, that puts his net worth, before taxes in excess of $9.8 billion USD. I don't think he will miss the $670,000 bonus. In fact, i doubt he would notice it.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
Kin itself was doomed to fail since WP7 was pretty much announced upon Kins release. While the social aspect of Kin is nice, most people want something more that does more than just social networking. WP7 will do what kin does plus games and everything else a smart phone does.

I don't think they have to worry about tablets either. A lot of the testing shows that Windows 7 is capable of running on decent tablets. Should spice the markets up.

bhaberle

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
[citation][nom]jellico[/nom]If you feel you're worth more, then get another job or start your own business. But don't whine about the success of others. Once you get into the mid-to-high six figures, your compensation is based on the fact that you make several times that (or create value equivalent to several times) for the company. Just like actors and pro-athletes... no one is handing them a lottery check. They get huge salaries because they MAKE a crap-load of money for someone else. If you feel like you can do better, perhaps you can; go and find out.[/citation]

Geez buddy... someone is a little too serious. He is STILL getting a huge bonus regardless of how you cut it. You aren't even considering the fact he gets stock options, etc.

Antimatter79

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
For Ballmer, it's not about the money at this point anyways. Being a hyper-driven, extreme A-type personality means that the principle of the fact that the Kin failed hurts him way more than the "measly" $670,000 bonus ever would.

G

riiight so Balmer's halved bonus is about equal to me doing 10 years work...

G

He probably got a 200% raise in bonus before, now his bonus is back to it's original level...
Overpayed monkey!

levin70

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
[citation][nom]bhaberle[/nom]Geez buddy... someone is a little too serious. He is STILL getting a huge bonus regardless of how you cut it. You aren't even considering the fact he gets stock options, etc.[/citation]

Actually, no he doesn't. Neither Ballmer nor Gates particpate in any of Microsofts Equity comp plans. They don't exactly need to. As i stated above, given his net worth, the bonus is the equivalent to your boss giving you a 3 cent bonus. I don't think you would care one way or the other about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.