Microsoft Kinect: Games and Video Chat Revealed

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Kinect has got to be the dumbest name choice ever. Natal sounded cool, and intriguing. Natal was a really good name. But Kinect, bah.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]azcoyote[/nom]So the camera can differentiate the movements of 2 or more people at once... Um... I can imagine a couple of movements involving 2 people that SOMEONE out there is gonna try... The question is how long it will take before Vivid wants to release a "game" on the XBOX. LMAO[/citation]Instead of DDR, FFR? :O

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]shulya[/nom]How do you for from "Natal" to Kinect?...[/citation]
It was a project name. How do you go from Cypress to Radeon 58xx, or from Revolution to Wii? You sir, are a nerd in name only.
[citation][nom]sidran32[/nom]Seems like an underwhelming first look. Hope it gets better![/citation]True, but everyone said the same thing about the Wii too. Of course, the critics were partly right, as the Wiimotes aren't good for everything. Kinect, just like the Wiimotes, won't be every thing to every person.

Furthermore, it won't work for every game. I think the developers understand this better now, and you'll probably see most hardcore 360 games still using the controller as the primary input, maybe with some optional Kinect motion/voice input.

In other words, I don't all 360 developers forcing you to use motion controls for *everything* (even crap that doesn't make sense), like many Wii titles do.

mkrijt

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
I never wanted to own an XBOX, but now I might get one....this looks pretty awesome (I'd never thought I would say that about a console, let alone one from microsoft)

bearracuda

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
Why would they change the name to make it sound worse? It sounded cooler as natal, and it didn't look like somebody with downs did the spellcheck.

Status
Not open for further replies.