Microsoft Kissing Windows Mobile 6 Goodbye

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I want to go with the Win 7, but am completely put off by the facecrap integration being so tight and central to contacts..

Am using winmo 6.5 on touch pro 2, bit slow and painful at times but it works, I will wait and see, little peeved as phone still in contract and support for os ending, yeah that sucks! But WinMo as Smartphone Os must die !

Cant stop looking at android to be fair!

G

the easy way for microsoft to get rid of the burden of solving bugs..I believe that this will happen to WP7 also....

Rosanjin

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006
[citation][nom]chickenhoagie[/nom]I wish I could be there to stab this beast straight in the heart with a flail..die mobile 6..you dirty slut[/citation]

Flail.........blunt instrument.........didn't want to respond, but couldn't help it. : /

Having moved from a Samsung Omnia with WinMo 6.1 to a Droid X with 2.2, I wonder how I managed to put up with all of the usability deficits that particular hardware/os combo created. It's like finally getting ibuprofen after a 2 year headache.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]kistonewa[/nom]Microsoft abandoned me; therefore, I will abandon them for my next phone[/citation]
This is assuming of course that when you get to the end of your contract and look for a new handset, if MS had kept solid updates you would still have use WM6 for the new phone.

Which is blatantly not true.

You would have gone WP7, Android or iOS because those are the only real choices.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
It's sad to be a developer when MS doesn't even care to fix their buggy developer system. A short upgrade cycle will make things worse for consumers.

G

WinMo 6.x is a great work platform. I don't know where everyone gets hundreds of dollars to blow on the phone, on the monthly bill and all the games known as apps.

WinMo 6.x tethers my laptop usb or wireless, it integrates perfectly with exchange, it has office documents native, it has tons of games if you want them. It multitasks, the surfing is a challenge at times, but it is there. It has a facebook app. I don't know why people hate it. I see the apple religious movement, and the people crying about android draining their batter in a couple hours. The WinMo will go all day with plenty of use.

Too bad WinMo 7 was not more of a business platform, or had a pro version. Of course MS is trying to get the Apple users, but people don't change religions that easy, and the business users are trying to make a go of Android, but the phone has to be plugged in regularly, and hacked to do what WinMo 6.x did.

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
[citation][nom]jaksun5[/nom]I was given an android phone for free by my carrier 6 months ago and the truth is I still use my old WinMo6.1 phone, the reasons why are numerous.The old phone does everything I need for my work's Exchange server, has all the connectivity options that my new phone has (WiFi, HSDPA, A-GPS), GPS doesn't rely on a data/mobile connection like google maps does, on my email I can read a lot more on one screen with my crappy looking windows font than Android allows me to see with all it's graphical bling, same goes for ebook reading with Freda connected to Feedbooks, rather than having Aldiko or the Amazon reader. Opera Mobile browser is a saving grace for this phone since the built in IE blows dog.The screen sucks compared to most new phones, but I have a hardware keyboard on my unit. Also because the phone is a bit old and been thrashed, I'm not too fussed about it (although it's been dropped on concrete about 50 times and still works). Realistically the only thing I'm missing is the apps, and after spending a month or 2 using the Android phone, they really are mostly games which don't interest me that much. It's a shame that WinMo phones don't have more modern apps available to them, and that it appears as a developer community we are reliant on a big Apple or Google to create an app friendly ecosystem. It's a step in the right direction going partly open source as Google have done, but I was hoping the old Sharp Zaurus may have got more traction with it's linux based OS. In fact I'm not sure why the community wasn't more software/app focused, the only difference I can see myself (and i'm not a developer so feel free to correct me) was that by creating an 'app store' and making it 'cool' people could sell apps for a reasonable cost (1-2 bucks) and still make money. I remember people asking me to pay 30-60 bucks for an app when I first got my WinMo phone and I thought that was ridiculous, needless to say I bought nothing. Was it this stalemate that failed the old WinMo platform? Food for thought...[/citation]

the reason that you prefer the windows mobile phone still is because every free phone carriers offer are basically garbage! I was a win mobile user and had PPC6700, PPC6800 mogul, then touch pro/touch pro2 before trying the Evo and i just couldnt imagine that anyone wouldnt prefer the android based phone over win mobile 6.X unless its an under powered phone. In all honesty i wouldve probably stayed with windows mobile if version 7 came out quite a few months earlier

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
The WM6 interface is carried over from the first versions of Windows CE. The basic interface worked fine when that was all that we had, and we were running it on PDA's and comparing it with the Palm OS. But deep underneath there were parts of the OS that never did work- just try connecting to a Wifi network for instance. And the GPS on my WM6 phone never did work right, supposedly crippled at the OS level. My phone was promised an upgrade to WM6.5 for a very long time, and the release date kept getting changed with no explanation. Nobody even knew if it would fix the existing problems. I finally had enough and went with a smartphone where everything ACTUALLY WORKS!

G

If you feed a dead monkey, it´s still dead !

So this is the plan, if something has to get fixed, phase it out. Hm, why does this smell to me like Vista ;)

G

Currently own Samsung Omnia II on VZW. While I absolutely love the phone I am sick of the OS. MSFT should just give up. They don't 'get it', they never will. My next platform will be Droid, sticking with Samsung.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
So this is the plan, if something has to get fixed, phase it out. Hm, why does this smell to me like Vista

Absolutely no comparison between Vista and WM6. I can't think of a recent product in the computer world that compares with WM6, or any product I've considered buying that is not computer-related. Compared to WM6, Vista is the best computer product ever produced.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]Rosanjin[/nom]Flail.........blunt instrument.........didn't want to respond, but couldn't help it. : /Having moved from a Samsung Omnia with WinMo 6.1 to a Droid X with 2.2, I wonder how I managed to put up with all of the usability deficits that particular hardware/os combo created. It's like finally getting ibuprofen after a 2 year headache.[/citation]
To be fair the Omnia 1 was kind of a dog from the start. My Omnia II is a 6.5 device preloaded with Opera Mobile. Far from perfect, and still dated compared to newer phones, but it's a much better phone than the first Omnia. Honestly I haven't really had any issues with it. I wish it had a faster processor and more RAM - but I say that about everything, my PC, my laptop, etc.

As to what I'll replace it with... either Android or WP7. Maybe I'll wait for a nice Ice Cream Sandwich or a juicy Mango before I make up my mind. Either way, I'll miss having USB and WiFi tethering with no monthly fee.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
I use windows mobile 6.1, it works ok but the browsers available suck.

opera mini works extremely well but it is not compatible with all sites.
Opera mobile 10+ offers better compatibility but it is very buggy and the bugs most likely wont be fixed.

IE sucks all round

skyfire is no longer being developed and their servers now block windows mobile 6.x and lower from connecting (this used to be one of the best browsers in terms of functionality, the early revisions actually had full flash support and allowed you to even play flash games, but they scaled it back to just flash video in later revisions, then further again got rid of flash in favor of a real time transcoding service which users can pay for to view flash.

I don't need much of smartphone, ( I still use a dell axim x51v pocket pc), for more functionality, I use a laptop.

When windows mobile 6 gets completely left behind, I will move to android.

May get a archos 43 or something

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
The main downsides with windows mobile, is no disk caching/swap space. So for example on windows mobile, you can run multiple apps, but if you were doing something important while multitasking, eg using msword to type something using a small bluetooth keyboard (I do this in class, I have resco recorder recording the lesson, while I use msword and a small bluetooth keyboard to type up any additional notes.

the problem is that If I wanted to look something up and mistakenly open opera mobile instead of opera mini, to make space, windows mobile will randomly closed another opened app, (eg I risk losing the work put into ms word, or resco recorder)

Other mobile os don't do this, or if they do, they either save the state before closing the app, or give you an option, while windows mobile will simply close background apps with out asking you, causing you to lose unsaved work.

A perfect mobile device will be one that can overcome this limitation by using virtual memory, if your device has 16 GB of storage, why cant the OS use like 512MB or a 1GB of it as virtual memory.

virtual memory may be slow but would you rather have a program go slow when moved to virtual memory, it will get moved back into system memory when you start using it again, or have it suddenly close and you lose unsaved work.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]WinMo Lover[/nom]Too bad WinMo 7 was not more of a business platform, or had a pro version. Of course MS is trying to get the Apple users, but people don't change religions that easy, and the business users are trying to make a go of Android, but the phone has to be plugged in regularly, and hacked to do what WinMo 6.x did.[/citation]
Mango should deliver more office integration and hopefully tethering without the *#hacks

subaru41

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
I have the HTC LEO HD2 which came with Win 6.5. I have been running Android Nand for a long time now. I am just waiting for the right time to upgrade to the Galaxy 2 or something better.

G

I have been loyal to WinMo for more than a decade. It has been a disappointing one way relationship!!

Status
Not open for further replies.