Microsoft Launches "Elevate America" Campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

The laying off of 5k people is a valid point, but I applaud the idea of this nonetheless.

A Stoner

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
What America needs is more manufacturing, bigger manufacturing, and more of our resource rich lands opened up. IT is nice and all, but it is not going to keep America safe.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]A Stoner[/nom]What America needs is more manufacturing, bigger manufacturing, and more of our resource rich lands opened up. IT is nice and all, but it is not going to keep America safe.[/citation]

I would agree with you there. This is still a good initiative, but the US will continue to grow weaker because we manufacture less and less.
Americans refuse to get their hands dirty. Even people without a job are "too good" to apply for certain jobs. I know a guy who refuses to do anything but IT jobs and he hasn't worked for 3 years now (bums off his wife). I tried to help him out but since he hasn't held down a job nobody wants him.

If I was faced with loosing my house I'd pick up trash first. Oh but it must be all these immigrants stealing US jobs (strong sarcasm implied)

Fact is, instead of demonizing immigrants, let them do the jobs they're willing to do that too many people refuse to. We demonize companies for taking jobs out of the country, but the fact remains they can't hire people at a competitive wage because people are "too good" to work for a reasonable wage and demand full benefits and $20+/hours. That's great and not a bad thing to have but the fact remains it's not cost efficient. I say if they're willing to do the jobs lazy people aren't and at a competitive wage I say open up the borders, start producing products again and everyone prospers. People seem to forget this same crap happend for the Italians, Germans, Irish, Chinese...... We're all immigrants.

This has been my off topic rant.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I agree with pei-chen , if companies wont hire anybody during the crisis, then theres no point in this program. When economy goes up again , then this would be good.

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
with all the layoffs and Windows Vista/7 you sure it's not

Microsoft Launches "F*ck America" Campaign

Microsoft Launches "F*ck The World" Campaign

Microsoft Launches "F*ck Our Customers" Campaign

Microsoft Launches "F*ck The People" Campaign

Microsoft Launches "F*ck The Gullible" Campaign

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
[citation][nom]Pei-chen[/nom]Kick out all those H-1B Indian and we'll talk. No point in elevating American if American company won't hire them.[/citation]

Wait that's not fair. It's not that Microsoft doesn't want to hire American workers, it's just that American workers just don't want these jobs, so Microsoft and other companies are forced to import and train foreign workers at tremendous cost to them. ;-)

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]What America needs is less corporations that send jobs overseas wrapping themselves up in the flag for marketing reasons.[/citation]

it works... made in america label = made oversea or made here by foriengers. the only thing about the made in america label is sold in america / bought by americans.

G

Oh please, the 'Americans don't want to do these jobs' argument is tired and very false. The real situation is:

1) Those jobs pay terribly, IE not enough to support an entire family, and in some cases even a single person.
2) Employers want immigrents because they can treat them horribly because they either don't know their rights, or are too scared to speak up.
3) Employers can pay immigrents less then minimum wage as many are 'under the table,' and again do not know their rights or are afraid to exercise them.

I live in California, and here $20 an hour ($2400/m after taxes) would maybe get you a mid-level apartment ($1500/m), a decent car ($300/m), pay utilies ($100-200/m), and leave you with about $400/m to live on, and I didn't even count gas, insurence, and any unexpected expenses. This is also for 1 person, god forbid you have a family. Try doing that on $8 an hour.

Outsourcing to India, China, and all those other countries is done for 3 reasons:

1) They pay people less then 25 cents an hour
2) They avoid much of the regulation designed to keep workers and products safe
3) There is little to no incentive to keep the jobs here (IE a tax or penalty for moving offshore/importing goods)

Hiring immigrents here in the US is basically the same thing as above, just not in another country.

My point is, the cost of living has increased far, far, far faster then the average income. Advancements in computers and automation have only reduced expenses for companies, yet they still keep charging more, and that money does not go to the employees, nor does it go to the customers in the form of reduced costs, it go straight to the top 1% of the population who just can't get enough.

G

tenor77, you should read mikesaysgetreal post carefully and slowly

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
[citation][nom]jsloan[/nom]Wait that's not fair. It's not that Microsoft doesn't want to hire American workers, it's just that American workers just don't want these jobs, so Microsoft and other companies are forced to import and train foreign workers at tremendous cost to them. ;-)[/citation]
I am sure if MS hire and pay American engineer and programmer good salary, enrollment at college will increase. It is not like people are going for a finance degree now.

lordfisch

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
[citation][nom]Pei-chen[/nom]I am sure if MS hire and pay American engineer and programmer good salary...[/citation]
Actually MS is known as one of the highest-paying companies in the industry (for their engineers).

Status
Not open for further replies.