Microsoft Preps Big IE9 Ad Campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustinPadinske

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
I have used IE 9, Opera, Chrome, Mozilla and Safari. Personally I use Opera for the majority of the time, but I go back in forth between the rest for all sorts of different sites and IE9 has always worked incredibly well, IE8 and below seemed to have given Microsoft a bad name especially if you have been on 9gag.com(meme site) but it is responsive and the default interface is appealing.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
I agree IE 9 is a SIGNIFICANT improvement over previous versions of IE. However IE just doesn't have the feature set that Mozilla, Chrome, Opera, and even Safari has regarding plugins, extensions, bookmark sync, etc. All of these features I've now grown accustomed to having. So much so it becomes a pain not to have those features.

acyuta

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
I have always relied on IE8 and IE9 for reliable downloads. Chrome and FF may be faster but IE9 has caught up. Had been using FF from 4-10b for most of 2010, but somehow FF now causes my display GPU (GTX560) to crash once every few days. So it is back to Chrome and IE9. Office browsing is on FF and IE9, but home on chrome and IE9 now.

phamhlam

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
IE9 is in the same level as the other browsers. The ability to pin sites to the taskbar and get a nice icon at the bottom makes it great. It is quick and clean. I just want to see the internet and not some stupid toolbars. IE10 will be better with Windows 8 and the new ecosystem Microsoft is making.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]JustinPadinske[/nom]I have used IE 9, Opera, Chrome, Mozilla and Safari. Personally I use Opera for the majority of the time, but I go back in forth between the rest for all sorts of different sites and IE9 has always worked incredibly well, IE8 and below seemed to have given Microsoft a bad name especially if you have been on 9gag.com(meme site) but it is responsive and the default interface is appealing.[/citation]

i have the same, minus safari, and i use firefox most, with some chrome, and opera and ie are just there, in case firefox or chrome cant handle a web page.

[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]I agree IE 9 is a SIGNIFICANT improvement over previous versions of IE. However IE just doesn't have the feature set that Mozilla, Chrome, Opera, and even Safari has regarding plugins, extensions, bookmark sync, etc. All of these features I've now grown accustomed to having. So much so it becomes a pain not to have those features.[/citation]

better browser, worst ui they ever had though.

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
then they'll have to start another one for IE10
not saying IE9 is bad or anything (chrome is)
i usually use opera (on windows), sometimes IE and i use Firefox on ubuntu

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Can't keep pandering to XP users, if that's the case you may as well make IE9 compatible with Windows 95.Time to move on.[/citation]

Agreed. Thats kinda the reason there isn't more 64bit software out. Companies keep pandering to those FEW whose computers might not support it.

I mean come on now pretty much EVERY cpu thats in the wild is 64 bit and even the XP die hard crowd can get that in 64 bit flavor. Sometimes companies need to just say "look its over with. move on or get left"

in_the_loop

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
Worst possible timing for Microsoft when Ie9 really tanks in the latest web browser comparasions. It did really bad in the latest web browser grand prix here at toms, for example.
It is only losing ground and will contine to do so, if they don't come up with something drastically better.

busuan

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
"Switch to IE9, because it's awesome, and free too! O, you may want to upgrade your OS first to Windows 7 and we offer a low, low price of $129 even before a 10% discount."
Sure, people always fall for that...

Northwestern

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Can't keep pandering to XP users, if that's the case you may as well make IE9 compatible with Windows 95.Time to move on.[/citation]
Windows 95 died long ago.

Windows XP still has a huge part of the OS market.

XP isn't dead yet.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]twu[/nom]IE9 is terrible slow running on my I7 with 16GB rams. IE8 and Firefox hell lot faster. Junkie.[/citation]

Then your computer must be seriously messed up, if you have that much power and ie9 runs like crap.

jakjawagon

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2010
At least each version number of IE has been significantly different. I probably wouldn't be able to tell without checking which version of Firefox I was using if it was 4 or above.

randomizer

Distinguished
[citation][nom]tical2399[/nom]Sometimes companies need to just say "look its over with. move on or get left"[/citation]
If you ran a multi-billion-dollar corporation you wouldn't be thinking along these lines. You don't snap your fingers and alienate existing customers until you absolutely have to. Slow and progressive persuasion is how it's done. A lack of IE9 on XP is one such move.

XP isn't going to go away any time soon. At least in the business world it will stay around for as long as the business world wants it to.

Status
Not open for further replies.