Microsoft Launches Silverlight 5; Could Be Last One

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]amdfangirl[/nom]SO wait, what actually used Sliverlight?[/citation]
I work at a public library. I've seen an online institution's website require Silverlight. I couldn't remember the name though. Plus, I clicked on some website not too long ago that required Silverlight, but I think it was a Microsoft website.

Cy-Kill

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
The two sites I read the most -- MaximumPC & Tom's -- are only putting out this news today, SL5 launched last week on December 9th...!

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
[citation][nom]__-_-_-__[/nom]only microshit websites.[/citation]
So much hate there. How has Silverlight or Microsoft for that matter offended you?

mott555

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Silverlight is actually pretty common for internal LOB-style applications, Microsoft has quit marketing it as an RIA tool for general Internet applications. It is quite alive in the business world though. I would know, I'm a Silverlight developer :)

It feels like the media is *trying* to kill Silverlight by convincing people that it will be dropped. This scares management, but we've heard nothing of the sort from Microsoft themselves. So please, don't report this stuff until there's something to report!

mott555

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Silverlight is actually pretty common for internal LOB-style applications, Microsoft has quit marketing it as an RIA tool for general Internet applications. It is quite alive in the business world though. I would know, I'm a Silverlight developer :)

It feels like the media is *trying* to kill Silverlight by convincing people that it will be dropped. This scares management, but we've heard nothing of the sort from Microsoft themselves. So please, don't report this stuff until there's something to report!

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Because we don't need another "flash" interface sucking up resources, requiring updates. Not seen a light that needs it. Let it die.
Flash can be buried with it.

mightymaxio

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
Netflix uses silverlight. I dont have a beef with what ever a company develops, people need to chill and relax a bit instead of constantly bashing someone elses free product. If you dont like it dont use it, no ones forcing you to use it!!!!

nukemaster

Distinguished
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]Because we don't need another "flash" interface sucking up resources, requiring updates. Not seen a light that needs it. Let it die.Flash can be buried with it.[/citation]
Anything the renders graphics/plays videos/sound ect will suck up some resources. Despite what many say even HTML 5 takes resources.

Never had any problems with flash in years. Sure it was a resource hog when used wrong back in the day(But how well would a P133 handle html5).

Until HTML5 is the same across browsers(you know those apps/games that only work on Google chrome[not that chrome is a bad thing] yet html5 is supposed to be universal), it is not ready. Hell, hit full screen on HTML5 youtube to get a full browser window video not full screen(once again not the same across browsers).

Would you have rather let the internet stay they was it was in the early days? Animated GIF menus/videos you need to download to watch? maybe embed quick time for movie clips? Midi files for music?

Silver lining to to all this....No facebook :)

Here come the thumbs down(or "dislike" if you will...)

G

[citation][nom]mott555[/nom]Silverlight is actually pretty common for internal LOB-style applications, Microsoft has quit marketing it as an RIA tool for general Internet applications. It is quite alive in the business world though. I would know, I'm a Silverlight developer It feels like the media is *trying* to kill Silverlight by convincing people that it will be dropped. This scares management, but we've heard nothing of the sort from Microsoft themselves. So please, don't report this stuff until there's something to report![/citation]

You're a dev. What's so hard about a vertical sync? I'm clueless and need to complain a bit. ;)

Netflix for sure, Comcast's xfinity tv web player has been converting all their media from flash to silverlight as well over the past year or so.

I don't care which one they all settle on using, just implement some sort of vertical sync. HD video on the web sucks until they square that away. They're broadcasting at 24fps, afaik, and nvidia keeps optimizing their drivers for flash, but still no work on silverlight, or the tearing issues with fast movement scenes.

Cy-Kill

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Does anyone remember Microsoft's Chrome from about '97 or '98, Universal used it on their horror site, not sure what other sites used it at the time, but like Silverlight it was supposed to compete with Flash; heck, you can even say Chrome was a precursor to Silverlight.

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
Silverlight isn't a bad platform, just because you've never heard of it doesn't mean it doesn't have it's uses. Nor does it mean there aren't things it does well.

Sounds like some people hear have been drinking the "Occupy Flash" koolaid.
It's not the language/runtime environment/etc. It's the people that code for it.

All this clamor for HTML5... You've got to be living in a dream world if you don't think that if it's picked up by adverts as the medium you won't experience the same terrible issues. Barely functional bad code is still barely functional no matter what it is written in/for =-p

Status
Not open for further replies.