Microsoft Licenses ARM CPU Technology

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]tipoo[/nom]Mobiles yes, consoles no. None of ARM's current designs are anywhere near as powerful as the processor in the 360, and that was launched years ago. I find it very unlikely that their next console will be less powerful than the 360.[/citation]

Licensing the architecture doesn't mean they're going to make an identical processor to what is available at this time. Just like licensing the x86 architecture doesn't mean you're going to make an 8086. They'll make a better chip for sure, taking advantage of the ARM's lower power requirements. At least, that would be my guess.

G

"As it stands now, the Xbox 360 relies on a central processor to do most of the work. This approach generates a concentration of heat that takes its toll on the heatsink--it expands and contracts until it eventually shorts out the system by touching one of the chip's contacts. The next console will need to address this issue, as a faster CPU will only make matters worse."

WHAT!!!!

SERIOUSLY!!!!

Do some research man !!!! Heatsink touching chips contacts WHAT ARE YOU ON ABOUT!!!

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
More complaining about the XBOX... I have had mine for a while with one only of my XBOXs breaking down.
That does not mean I hate my XBOX. I have learned to keep it in the open so it has proper ventilation.

azcoyote

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
Hmmm... If they make it as follows I will take it...

Tablet smaller than iPad
Phone built right in
BlueTooth support and ability to charge a headset of USB
Windows 7 Tablet or Phone
32GB SSD
USB Ports that support EVERYTHING (keys, HDD, DVD, etc)
HDMI port
FM Radio
IR Port on Front
Wifi N/G
Wimax and/or 3G/4G capable internet carrier independant
Outlook/Word/Excel/Powerpoint
Automatic tools for Windows Home Server, Media Center Extenders, RDP, etc

With the right design team (aka no one involved with the Kin, or Courier), MS could kick the tar out of Apple... It would be expensive to make but people would buy it if the OS and hardware rocked.

It's a dream at least....

Stardude82

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
Not that interesting really. Microsoft already uses PowerPC chips in the XBox, the same chips which powered Apple for so long. I'm thinking this might be for a Zune Phone.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]When they said that this may be in the next Xbox, I think they meant it as a supplement to the processor to reduce its workload.[/citation]With the way CPUs are going, I doubt it. The 360 already has three full PowerPC-based cores. Who knows how many we'll end up with in the next Xbox.

They are likely going to be designing a chip for use in either mobile or embedded systems. If it's a mobile Xbox, I'm hoping they'll use a SGX543MP16. :p

fyasko

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
[citation][nom]lauxenburg[/nom]ARM chip in an Xbox?....hmm................................[/citation]

yes but can it play crysis 2? *thumbs down*

TheKurrgan

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Everyone seems to be missing a key point... They licensed the arch its self.. meaning, they can do whatever they want with it, including improve upon it with a whole different style chip based on the ARM arch. This could give Microsoft an advantage even over Apple, who must use the arch unmodified, and with the kind of money microsoft can put into r&d, i'd not be surprised to see some pretty sweet Windows Mobile hardware, albeit I would rather see Android on that same hardware, but thats beside the point.

G

Maybe they will finally create a windows compatible operating system for ARM, so you can run your Windows Apps on ARM based computers, netbooks, or cellphones!

That'd be the bomb!

Status
Not open for further replies.