PC shutdown issues / gasping for air on shutdown

Feb 22, 2021
Hi all!

I joined so I could ask this question, which I could not find on the forums. That being said I am unsure how I would characterize the problem, so I may just have been looking in the wrong places.

I recently opened up my computer to install a wifi card, and ever since my PC refuses to fully shut down. It will go through the motions of shutting down windows, shutting off the monitor, and finally turning off the fans. It will wait for approximately two seconds before powering up the fans for a couple of seconds (power light on, monitor off), and then powering them down. It will painfully repeat this cycle to no end. The front power button does nothing during this time, and the only way to get it to stop is the power supply's switch in the back.

I thought it could be an issue with the network card, so I replaced it with similar results (shut down with no issue once, then refused to shutdown ever since). I believe this happens as well if the computer goes into hibernation, so I have disabled this setting.

Have you run into anything similar before? What would you recommend looking at?

Edit: added some system information below.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.19041 Build 19041
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name [Wheezing Old Man]
System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model B360M-D3H
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU Default string
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz, 2808 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 6 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. F4, 19/04/2018
SMBIOS Version 3.1
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
BaseBoard Product B360M D3H-CF
BaseBoard Version x.x
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State Off

Only thing I can think of would be some sort of WakeOnLAN setting. Any kind of network activity and your system resumes power. If you remove the WiFi card, the system shuts down normally, correct?

-Wolf sends

P.S. Also, might I direct you to our sister-site forums: Tom's Hardware Forums - Systems. We're more hardware related over there, but we'll see if we can get you sorted out here first.

Feb 22, 2021
Only thing I can think of would be some sort of WakeOnLAN setting. Any kind of network activity and your system resumes power. If you remove the WiFi card, the system shuts down normally, correct?

-Wolf sends

P.S. Also, might I direct you to our sister-site forums: Tom's Hardware Forums - Systems. We're more hardware related over there, but we'll see if we can get you sorted out here first.

Thank you! I have moved the thread over to Tom's Hardware Forums - Systems.