Microsoft Lists Kinect at $149.99 Officially

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wheat_Thins

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
[citation][nom]Grims[/nom]"Gamers will need 175 MB of memory"Do you mean hard drive space?[/citation]

He is referring to the individual that bought arcade editions that do not have hard drives. They will need 175MB free memory on their memory cards if they intend on using it. $150 just seems way to much for this. Input lag is horrific, just watch the E3 presentations from either MS or Sony.

http://gamersyde.com/stream_child_of_eden_e3_press_conference_gameplay-15810_en.html

Watch his movements, then watch the input lag time to get to the screen. Do not want.

halcyonnn

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
[citation][nom]Grims[/nom]"Gamers will need 175 MB of memory"Do you mean hard drive space?[/citation]

No memory is sort of correct. Keep in mind the Arcade systems do not have a hard drive, but they do have 256 MB of memory. If we really want to get technical, I guess the best term would not be memory or hard drive but storage. That would cover both users with and without a hard drive.

tsnorquist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
This could really help physical therapy patients and exercise routines.

I wonder if health care would subsidize this as they have in the past for Wii Fit?

captainnemojr

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
[citation][nom]thegreathuntingdolphin[/nom]$150 is not unexpected and is not a bad price for what it is, especially if you buy the 360 Arcade "S" Kinect bundle for $300 or the 360 "S" Kinect bundle for $400.[/citation]

Or you could get a Wii for $199 with 2 games and buy some more games with the savings. Seems like ~$50-75 would have been a better price-point for it.

wolflive

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
[citation][nom]tsnorquist[/nom]This could really help physical therapy patients and exercise routines.I wonder if health care would subsidize this as they have in the past for Wii Fit?[/citation]

From what I've herd you need to be standing in order for the system to detect you. So it could help some but if your not standing your out of luck.

IM0001

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
Definitely some exciting new tech. Both the X360 and PS3 took the original Idea of the Wii and went their own way with it. Its awesome how the X360 uses only the cameras to get movement and from everything I have seen, it will do it quite well, and the PS3's is going to be different but IMO much more accurate since its based on similar tech that CG movies get their motion capture from.

The main problem I see with all these technologies now is how it is forcing people off their butts to get up and play their games which isn't a bad thing. The PS3 is going to be a bit more grown up for shooters and such, but the X360 definitely has a middle ground if it can pull off some driving and those adventure games as well as fam games.

Overall it is an exciting time IMO for anyone interested in fun motion capture gaming. The Wii started it, and the other big 2 are running with the original idea. Nintendo will do something in the future to bring them back into the game for sure.. IMO they do need a hardware boost before it will happen.

thegreathuntingdolphin

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
Or you could get a Wii for $199 with 2 games and buy some more games with the savings. Seems like ~$50-75 would have been a better price-point for it.

Except that the Wii only has 1 controller and 1 nunchuk. So add another $50 for the extra controller and add $20 for another nunchuk and you are at $270 for two players (which is the norm for the system). I would rather have the 360 and Kinect for $30 more. At least it has both regular, modern games and has great media extender options.

$50-75 would be a better price point for it
Ya, in our dreams. For that matter the Wii should be $100 since it is a glorified Gamecube. Alot depends on how much the Kinect costs to manufacture which is rumored to be between $70 and $150 (which does not include the cost of R&D for the project). $100 would be the perfect price for consumers in my opinion.

I believe the Kinect will debut at $150 while supplies are limited and then will drop to $100 next spring or early summer (unless sales are strong at $150). Supposedly there are two camps at Microsoft: Those that want to sell it for $100 and those that want to sell it for $150. They are planning on doing both right now ($150 by itself, $100 bundled in with a system).

thegreathuntingdolphin

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
Shouldn't this article be titled:

"Microsoft Lists Kinect at $149.99 Officially, Unofficially"

OK, jokes aside, I am getting a bit annoyed that Microsoft will not "officially" release the price yet go and release the price on their own store... They do realize that doing so is really officially releasing the price, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.