Microsoft May Cut SkyDrive Support for iOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

It seems that Apple is starting to fight every available company they coop'ed before ... Like Google(maps), then Samsung now Microsoft. Funny... That didn't happen that much under Steve Jobs. Now everything is $$$$$$$$$ and they just want to milk everything around them...
Reminds me of another company Electronic Arts, which will do anything for profits making the games from stellar to mediocre crap just to earn more $.

heliosai

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
Can't they simply remove subscription sign up from the app and tell them to sign up online? Seems pretty simple to me.

hate machine

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
[citation][nom]heliosai[/nom]Can't they simply remove subscription sign up from the app and tell them to sign up online? Seems pretty simple to me.[/citation]

From the article.

"Microsoft has even offered to remove all subscription options from the iOS app so that it's not generating any revenue, but Apple has refused that as well."

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]weierstrass[/nom]Welcome to Apples closed platform. Deal with it or leave.[/citation]
Eventually, that is exactly what people will do - leave
If companies were countries they would realise that even with national disagreements it is better to have co-operation and respective free trade, Apple is acting like North Korea or Iran and being totally xenophobic
As the next generation of devices they produce have no hardware from Samsung, no software from Google or Microsoft, all they need to do now is piss off Facebook, Valve and IBM and we could see a truely desolate future for Apple.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Normally I would say rules are rules... and no matter how stupid the rules are, you should follow them or leave.

But then I got to this part of the article:
"Microsoft has even offered to remove all subscription options from the iOS app so that it's not generating any revenue, but Apple has refused that as well."

Now that just changes everything. Apple just became a money-grubbin' punk.

Trying to like you Apple, I really am... 'cause your products are fairly decent. But your business practices are disgusting.

G

Greed greed greed.
And completely anticompetitive on a Platform that has all but a Monopoly on apps.
That is why Apple should be prosecuted. Unlawful abuse of Monopoly power.

pacomac

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
I think this article is not telling the full story. Dropbox had exactly the same problem and Apple finally accepted their app once the subscription sign up was removed. I've had my apps rejected on several occasions, but usually for good reason. Apple aren't that unreasonable!

dudeabides123

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
[citation][nom]silma[/nom]Greed greed greed.And completely anticompetitive on a Platform that has all but a Monopoly on apps.That is why Apple should be prosecuted. Unlawful abuse of Monopoly power.[/citation]
I completely agree! How can anyone compete with Apple when to be on their platform, you have to give them 30% of whatever it is you get? Imagine if on your windows computer, any digital goods purchased MS got 30% of. Valve wouldn't be able to exist. Nor would other ebook/music/video services.

Allowing Apple to operate this way sets a dangerous precedent. Whose to say that MS won't do it in future versions of Windows, or android too. Then the only providers to digital content will be the ones that provide the OS.

[citation][nom]digitalrazoe[/nom]Simple.. just don't use either product.[/citation]
As a user, that's fine. But as a content provider, you are losing a huge market share which could equate to a business or service ending in failure.

With phones and tablets taking up such a large market share and being used as the main computer for many, they should fall under many of the same rules and regulations that operating systems fall under. The EU won't even let MS use IE as the default browser on their same OS. How Apple gets away with these practices is incomprehensible. I hope these practices brought to an end soon.

G

Sorry Apple, I remember years ago when Microsoft basically kept you in business. You must have very short memories there. As a company your morals are suspect at best. What's the saying, "Don't forget the people who helped on the way up." I do have a sort of grudging respect for the way they have hauled themselves up from the brink but that is wearing thin. As I said at first, if not for Microsoft, you may not be here now.

dudeabides123

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
[citation][nom]dudeabides123[/nom]Whose to say that MS won't do it in future versions of Windows, or android too.citation]
And actually, both are already starting to do this.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]Irokis[/nom]It seems that Apple is starting to fight every available company they coop'ed before ... Like Google(maps), then Samsung now Microsoft. Funny... That didn't happen that much under Steve Jobs. Now everything is $$$$$$$$$ and they just want to milk everything around them...Reminds me of another company Electronic Arts, which will do anything for profits making the games from stellar to mediocre crap just to earn more $.[/citation]because steve job got enough hype + creativity to continue to do milking. Now that he is gone = the hype is facing = apple is fading.

Electronic Arts could continue to milking without hater if they actually make every single game masterpiece.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]ivanto[/nom]If Microsoft cut iOS support, I'm forced to cut SkyDrive "support" and switch away.[/citation]
Problem is without SkyDrive support there will be no Office for iOS and if Apple wants to be very successful in the business sector they will need Office since Windows Phone and Android will be getting it. Just like when Apple was about to go down and had to admit they needed Office and Microsoft's help they need it just as much now. MS Office is a hugely powerful program that can make or break decisions by businesses to use your product and without it Apple will start losing that area.

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]pacomac[/nom]I think this article is not telling the full story. Dropbox had exactly the same problem and Apple finally accepted their app once the subscription sign up was removed. I've had my apps rejected on several occasions, but usually for good reason. Apple aren't that unreasonable![/citation]

Love how you give a proper example - Dropbox
You develop apps and give first hand personal experience..

Yet you got voted down... Please realize reason doesn't work on tom's forums when it comes to Apple. It's not your fault, hell even when Apple does something right, these guys continue with the ranting...

Status
Not open for further replies.