Microsoft May Have Confirmed Dual-Screen Tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.

mavanhel

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
YES!!! Exactly what us students need! Now you can have a text book on one half and notes for the corresponding page on the other!

Emperus

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
Now that the device is expected to turn up, the issue should be more focused on the methods/ideas to use it rather than discussing about the need.. After all its all about the future tech..

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
I am truely amazed that in this day and age we have engineers that dare to create devices with these capabilities. To think in the near future everyone could have a dual screen tablets, hell I could easily fit one of these in my pockets. I never liked tablets mostly because of the lack of a keyboard, but you easily use the lower screen as a keyboard. With all that being said, the big question I think we need to ask ourselves is:

Can is play Crysis?

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Something about this just "feels" right. Not sure about Windows CE 6, though, but the hardware design is a winner and will be copied.

tsnorquist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
I agree with triplanetary, if it's anything like that video that was out last year - this tablet will be fantastic.

I hope they add a pressure sensitive screen; that would be amazing for us artists and photobugs.

I could see a great potential for education, medical, and commerical use as well.

filmman03

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
guess apple didn't think of that one; or did they and a lawsuit with m$/apple will be taking place soon? hahahaha

i think the real question we should be asking here is; (no, not the stupid crysis joke) but rather, can it multi-task? bye bye ipad.

fracture

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]mavanhel[/nom]YES!!! Exactly what us students need! Now you can have a text book on one half and notes for the corresponding page on the other![/citation]

Or like a real book and have pages on the left and right sides. This I can see using, but not the iPad.

ThisIsMe

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
It will most likely be loaded with some derivative of the newer version of the new Zune OS or the Windows Phone 7 OS. Hopefully they will not be going backward with this. This way they can get their app store going stronger and give you access to all the music, movies and now e-books that they will offer with the newer version of the Zune software that will be getting a little overhaul of new feature this year already because of a possible new Zune and the definite Windows Phone 7 launch.

(fingers crossed)

jnjkele

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2005
MS really has a device with potential here. I was intrigued by the iPad (all jokes aside) and the possibilities it holds, but this device has even more potential than the iPad does.

So, is it just the bash-apple-happy crowd that frequents here that prevents such ideas as interactive textbooks, interactive children's stories, note-taking capability (some of which are mentioned here to great huzzahs) from being discussed in context of this device but not the iPad? Multitasking is also key. I just wish media handling was more cohesive in a MS ecosystem, so I didn't have to put up with Apple headaches. That's what keeps me on my iPod, cohesive media management.

In the end, this thing looks cool - let's all cross our fingers that MS doesn't hose the effort before it can get off the ground.

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
This could be the answer to people who want the feel of a traditional paperback book but want it in an e-reader format, let alone all the fun of opening email on one screen and web on the other, or tabs on different screens, or the "screen" on one screen and the "keyboard" on the other screen. Lots of possibilities. Those who would scoff, remember some people scoffed at the idea of multi-monitor desktops not so long ago.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
Awesome, Tegra 2. The iPad's Apple A4 processor reportedly uses the much less powerful Cortex A8 reference design, whereas the Tegra 2 uses TWO Cortex A9 cores at 1GHz.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Yeah, I'd get one. Hell of a lot more useful than an iPad.

Use it like a PDA, excellent calendar/appointment book, media device, netbook, reading multipage documents/books, and all the other stuff in that demo video.

G

Students, huh? Well I'm 54, not a student -- although I am a web developer/designer -- and I'd buy one in a heartbeat. So would my wife, a writer.

JohnnyLucky

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
[citation][nom]mavanhel[/nom]YES!!! Exactly what us students need! Now you can have a text book on one half and notes for the corresponding page on the other![/citation]

Now that sounds interesting! Text and notes would match up!

Status
Not open for further replies.