Microsoft May, May Not Consider A Bid for Yahoo

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

What a stupid purchase. Seriously, Yahoo has been on it's way out for about 10 years now. Their search business is in terminal decline, and it uses Bing for it's result anyways, which loses MS 1 billion+ dollars every quarter. I can't imagine what benefit there is to one grossly mismanaged company buying another grossly mismanaged company who is also their customer.

MS buying Yahoo will work much like Yahoo buying Geocities. In 5 years, they'll be shutting 'er down and writing off the loss on their taxes. By then, Apple will be buying MS, and Android and Ubuntu will be duking it out for being the dominant desktop OS.

keczapifrytki

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
BREAKING NEWS: I also may or may not be placing a bid for Yahoo.
OTHER BREAKING NEWS: 2012 may or may not be the year of the armageddon.

G

Why doesn't TH just stick to reporting actual confirmations instead of wishy-washy rumors? Or at least strong rumors. "May, May Not" lol, what is this?

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Don't see why it would be necessary to acquire Yahoo!. They already have a search engine agreement.

But then again, Yahoo is a whole lot cheaper now than before.

G

More rumour, slow news week

I'm more interested in the $20 billion price tag for Yahoo. What does Yahoo do/own these days that makes it worth $20 billion?

Goldengoose

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
Why get yahoo? It's an underdog with no way of getting back on top. It would be like me buying the local butchers which has a large Supermarket next door - just not viable.

xtremeways

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011
[citation][nom]stuart72[/nom]More rumour, slow news weekI'm more interested in the $20 billion price tag for Yahoo. What does Yahoo do/own these days that makes it worth $20 billion?[/citation]
all the idiots that use yahoo as their home page maybe ?

phishy714

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
I think yahoo has the largest email-based population. More people have an email through yahoo than any other provider. Also, I think it is the most home-page'd site on the internet as well. That's a crap ton of advertising, so yeah 20 billion sounds about right..

also.. I may or may not have a burger for lunch today, according to the source of course.

Yuka

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
Alibaba (the Chinese website) was interested in Yahoo! as well...

If MS wants to improve Bing fast, then it better buy it before those guys.

Cheers!

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Yahoo finance is actually pretty good. And a lot of people have yahoo email. Not sure how that equals $20 billion though. I could see maybe a few hundred million, maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.