Microsoft Mobile Marketshare Declines After WP7 Release

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xerroz

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
I really like some of their phones and especially the OS, it's very slick. Too bad I'm stuck with a 2 year contract so I can't switch (I tried). My neighbor recently got a WP7 and I was pretty jealous, it looks very very nice

rhangman

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
To put things in perspective, Samsung sells more Bada phones than they do WP7. Depending on sales of the other manufactures, that could make WP7 the 5th OS; behind Android, iOS, Blackberry and Bada.

muzikcontact

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
According to Market Research company Kantar World Panel windows phone 7 has grown from 1% of the US marketshare to 2.1% in the last 12 weeks ending 10th July. For those who thinks WP7 is going south no its a great OS its gonna keep rising as predicted by the IDC.

Apple stole from both Android and Windows phone 7 for Iphone 5 but when all is said and done wp7 will be a God awesome OS when mango drops. Even the the tech bloggers who have Iphone5 beta is saying they are finding it hard to go back to Iphone wp7 has surpassed both in beauty and functionality with Mango cause everything is integrated into the phone. wp7 Mango is super awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP9HlGB7Sy8&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmB87qdwVWc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMd7Eb-QikA&feature=relmfu

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Typical of Toms Hardware to compare oranges and bananas!

First the OS share clearly includes everything from Phones to Pads (look at Apple "OS share" at 26.6-percent but they "only" have 8.9-percent of the phones and since they are the only producer of their phones it proves the os part is from all kind of devices). MS produces only a phoone os today so does their market share really decreases in that sector or is it gaining momentum? Its like saying Brand A single product lost market share of their product but only when we combine Brand B's several products. Its clear the "journalist" dont like brand A.

Toms Hardware seem to be on a steady decline, hardware reviews are great but the news section leaves more to be desired for each day that passes!

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Purely for the sake of competition, I hope that WP7 starts doing better. I've read some people here have had good experiences with it, but I don't know a single person that owns one. People that I know are about 50% iOS (mostly older/technically illiterate), 50% Android (younger / computer savvy).

G

The issue is not whether WP7 is good or not, many great OSes failed to become mainstream, MacOS is a good example, so is Linux BTW. Several hurdles have to be taken, IMHO being late in the game is the hardest one, not only because the app market will remain behind (MS should have remembered just why the PC became popular) but also simply because of branding : Iphone and Android are the clear winners in the mainstream market and they are both excellent, which makes them very hard to beat.

And tablet aren't gonna help : iOS users have by now invested in apps that they use on both their Iphone and Ipads, they won't easily switch, unless the app makers guarantee that apps can be reused.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Rahmifa : AmigaOS was a great OS that failed, mostly from internal business issues within the company (they were morons). That OS from the 80s totally destroyed MacOS and MS-DOS~Win1~3.x (okay, I know... Windows 1~3 are NOT Operating Systems). But the management and marketing from the company was completely unprofessional. It would take MS & Apple about 10~13 years to catchup.

[citation][nom]xerroz[/nom]I really like some of their phones and especially the OS, it's very slick. Too bad I'm stuck with a 2 year contract so I can't switch[/citation]
I don't know what you have.... but *IF* you have an Android phone, go the Market and do a search for "Launcher 7" (theres both free and $2 versions). Download it... customize the tiles.

I've LOVE running Launcher 7 on my Android. First time I've ever actually enjoyed using my Android phone. Never liked the tiny buttons of Android (Which is also very iOS in style) and never quite remembered which screen had which Apps... I made my NORMAL Android home screen as clean as possible of clutter... its nothing compared to WP7 or Launcher 7.

Android needs to divert from iOS style... maybe go to a 3x4 grid with tile like functions... or come up with something even more original.

ronindaosohei

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
I think the lack of success up till this point has made sense:

- Less hardware available (there just aren't a lot of state of the art WP7 phones)
- Less apps (the main reason I haven't moved over is I'm waiting for the app support to increase)
- Less marketing (partially because of less devices)
- Inferior platform (let's face it as nice as it was, at release it wasn't as good as the competitors, hopefully with Mango that will change)

Hopefully over the next 12-18 months there will be a substantial shift: there are now a lot more apps and it's growing fast, looks like companies like Nokia will release high end hardware, Mango is now competitive with the other OS. Time will tell, funny for Microsoft to be the underdog with people rooting for them.

ronindaosohei

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]Typical of Toms Hardware to compare oranges and bananas!First the OS share clearly includes everything from Phones to Pads (look at Apple "OS share" at 26.6-percent but they "only" have 8.9-percent of the phones and since they are the only producer of their phones it proves the os part is from all kind of devices). MS produces only a phoone os today so does their market share really decreases in that sector or is it gaining momentum? Its like saying Brand A single product lost market share of their product but only when we combine Brand B's several products. Its clear the "journalist" dont like brand A.Toms Hardware seem to be on a steady decline, hardware reviews are great but the news section leaves more to be desired for each day that passes![/citation]

You need to read more carefully. It's 26.6% of the smart phone market, but 8.9% of the overall market. If we count all iOS devices there are many, many more because of iPod.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]ronindaosohei[/nom]Time will tell, funny for Microsoft to be the underdog with people rooting for them.[/citation]

Im still not a fan of Apple or MS.... but if a product is good, might as well give them credit where credit is due. WP7 is quite good. Windows Mobile of the past... ugh.

equ7

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
MS is aparently recruiting software development engineers for WP8 already. The above comments are correct, MS wont give up, just as Vista became Windows 7, they will rebrand and try again, they have the money. MS has spent a LOT of $$ on WP7 and it has failed to do any better than WM6.5

equ7

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
MS is aparently recruiting software development engineers for WP8 already. The above comments are correct, MS wont give up, just as Vista became Windows 7, they will rebrand and try again, they have the money. MS has spent a LOT of $$ on WP7 and it has failed to do any better than WM6.5

Status
Not open for further replies.