Microsoft: Natal Does Work in Small Living Rooms

Status
Not open for further replies.

hennnry

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
If you are too close to the camera, then just like the picture showed, the camera can only capture a small part of your body (like the hands).

So if a game (such as a fighting game) that tries to capture your whole body movement, then you do need a rather big space. Taller people needs to stand further than smaller people too.

blue shift

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
I think what they're trying to say is... "You don't actually need 4 meters of space to play, but anything else that moves within 4 meters in front of the device is going to be perceived as a player." At least, that's what I hope they're saying.

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
As cool and technologically advanced as Natal and PS3 Move are, I can't help but think that these are just going to be gimmicky sideline items that don't really move product out the door.

At the end of the day I usually just want to sit down on the couch and pick up a controller to start playing. Exaggerated motions for the sake of "high tech" game control seems very inefficient when the old tried and true controller method is more precise and easier to work with.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Jane McEntegart[/nom]So the Irish, British, Japanese, college kids in dorm rooms and folks living in apartments will be able to play. What a relief![/citation]

What evidence is there that we British (and Irish, for that matter) have smaller living spaces than Americans? *confused*

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
[citation][nom]Silverblue[/nom]What evidence is there that we British (and Irish, for that matter) have smaller living spaces than Americans? *confused*[/citation]
Read the for rent or for sale adds in US cities of all sizes and UK cities, do the metric and British Pound conversions and you'll how little your money gets you real estate wise in the UK or Japan or wherever else.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]climber[/nom]Read the for rent or for sale adds in US cities of all sizes and UK cities, do the metric and British Pound conversions and you'll how little your money gets you real estate wise in the UK or Japan or wherever else.[/citation]

Perhaps, but everyone in my family (myself included) plus all my friends live somewhere easily big enough to take advantage of Natal. We don't all live in shoeboxes. :)

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
I seriously cant wait for this thing. Cause if they even show any demos etc in this coming E3 on Natal ill be even more hyped and i know ill have to have this piece of hardware. I mean even if it wouldnt last in time till the next Natal is out there like already mentioned from MS themselves, i'll have to experience some new kind of stuff with this thing just for the f*** of it even :)

Ofc that's just me. Eitherway from the sounds of it so far it will be cheaper for a whole 4 users than Move-pack(basic part of the Move+cam etc) for half user on my PS3. So Natal will be my first purchase for sure. If i couldn't wait for somethign as simple as Move i wouldnt wait for that on my PS3 and id have already a Wii which costs almost as much as Move here in Greece lol

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
[citation][nom]Silverblue[/nom]Perhaps, but everyone in my family (myself included) plus all my friends live somewhere easily big enough to take advantage of Natal. We don't all live in shoeboxes.[/citation]

The flip side to this is that I'm a US citizen, don't live in a city, and yet have myself, my son, and my wife crammed into a duplex. Of course, it could be because ALL properties near where I work are rip-offs.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
I've never lived anywhere particularly affluent or expensive, so space is much cheaper as a result.

Anyway... I don't even own a 360, PS3 or Wii, so I'm unlikely to encounter any issues with using motion controllers. ;)

guitarpeggio

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
[citation][nom]Silverblue[/nom]What evidence is there that we British (and Irish, for that matter) have smaller living spaces than Americans? *confused*[/citation]

Read the previous article on this topic and that comment will make more sense.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007

It was something we were discussing in yesterday's article. Typically, houses in North America are a lot roomier. From my own experience (have lived in Ireland, the UK, and Canada and spent time in the US also), living rooms in the US are just plain bigger.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
One of the guys in our office pointed out that most homes in Asia don't have that kind of space in their living rooms and though I can't speak for all of Europe, most British and Irish living rooms don't have the space to snugly fit a BMW 3-series (nearly 15 feet long) in front of the telly. In fact, a lot of people living in apartments would be in the same boat.

To be honest, it's all relative. You could have a big room, yet have a hefty sofa right in the way.

I occasionally play games at a friend's house; they use an HD projector, and the room's layout should make using Natal effortless assuming they wanted to. Plenty of room for four player Wii madness.

Status
Not open for further replies.