Microsoft Officially Revealing Halo 4 This Month

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leaderWON

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
"Hear that Microsoft? Bring Halo 4 to Windows PC and make it cross-platform, pitting the console fanboys against the hardware junkies."

This is just dumb unless they implement a way to verify an even playing field. ie guaranteeing gamepad vs gamepad or kb/mouse vs kb/mouse. surely it can't be that difficult.

egmccann

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]Oh please, Microsoft. You've failed your Halo fans. Port Halo 3, ODST, Reach and Halo 4 to the PC, put the graphics up to Direct X 11 levels and give Halo the attention and graphical presentation it deserves, not on some 7 year old console that can't hold a candle to this years graphics cards.Not doing this is about as stupid (or worse) as releasing Windows Vista, as bad as it was.[/citation]

They failed the halo fans when they tried to use Halo 2 (and Shadowrun) to force people onto Vista... and someone hacked out the OS restriction code to show it worked just *fine* on XP.

Not interested in buying a console, period. Don't care what game's out on it. (And frankly, I want to see more Myth. And some more Mechwarrior on PC.)

anarkeygodslam

Distinguished
May 23, 2008
[citation][nom]leaderwon[/nom]"Hear that Microsoft? Bring Halo 4 to Windows PC and make it cross-platform, pitting the console fanboys against the hardware junkies."This is just dumb unless they implement a way to verify an even playing field. ie guaranteeing gamepad vs gamepad or kb/mouse vs kb/mouse. surely it can't be that difficult. [/citation]

I am sure you are being sarcastic. This presumption would be pointless...since the Xbox doesn't support M/KB. The idea you provide would be essentially pc vs pc or xbox vs xbox. :)

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
I'm excited about 343. Bungie controlled Reach for a year and never released a patch, despite the outcry about players not having any control over some controversial changes. 343's first move? Gather feedback and put out a patch to give people this control. How well will they preserve the Halo spirit with a new game? We'll see. MANY players feel Bungie lost touch with Reach anyway...

As far as the console vs PC debate goes, PC fanboys are blowing things way out of proportion. First of all, professional console gamers were not involved, at least not the way people make it out to be. They might have been professionals in the sense that they were consultants or testers, but I've found absolutely no information to suggest and "MLG Pros" were involved. Saying those players would lose to average PC players is obvious bull to anyone who's played a shooter. Having good aim helps, but there's a hell of a lot more you need to be good at to win.

If two players of the exact same skill (and equally good with their respective aiming format) were matched, then yes, the PC player would win. But that's pretty much never the case.

Think of the mentality and overall skill of an average console player compared to that of an average PC player. PC players tend to be more "hardcore." The average PC player is better than you average console player. Not because you use a different method of aiming, but simply because of the differing types of players the two platforms attract.

PC players would win more, but it's not because of a mouse. It's because the average PC player is better than the average console player.

Also, I just have to add that if your idea of auto-aim on a console comes from CoD, that's why you think it's so ridiculous. Compared to Halo and other console shooters, the CoD series has AA on steroids. It's to the point that it often interferes with aim instead of helping it.

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
If everyone would just stop buying those damn consoles, then maybe all games would be released in high quality on the pc... I know, just a pipe dream..

heezdeadjim

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
[citation][nom]egmccann[/nom]They failed the halo fans when they tried to use Halo 2 (and Shadowrun) to force people onto Vista... and someone hacked out the OS restriction code to show it worked just *fine* on XP. Not interested in buying a console, period. Don't care what game's out on it. (And frankly, I want to see more Myth. And some more Mechwarrior on PC.)[/citation]

I remember that. You *had* to upgrade to Vista in order to supposedly play Halo 2 since it "required" DX10 drivers. It didn't show much (any really) improvement over it's DX9 counterpart. Very few games showed up on both SucksBox and the PC (Gayers of Whores being another) or the "Windows Games" titles. I was disappointed when I heard that Alan Wake was only going to be for the Xbox (since nVidia was working on the 6800GT GPUs at the time), because I would have liked to see the lighting for that game on a PC.

Then brings us to the other side of the problem. A lot of PC exclusive games got butchered because of console variants. Unreal Championship 2 for Xbox (did we really need a "quicktime" button mash to do instant kills?) and the Farcry franchise got dumbed down thanks to the consoles (we won't even mention ol' Duke). And why are the console FPS's getting more acclaim than FPS's that have been around for PC (Yes, I'm glaring at you Halo...why do you think you're better than Half-Life 1&2?)

stonedatheist

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
People have got to stop making the argument that pirating is killing PC gaming. Pirating is affecting consoles as well.

The 360 has run its course and I'm done buying games for it and sick of ports from it. As long as they release it on the PC with decent graphics I'll probably get it. If I have to skip this release and wait for Halo 5 to be either developed for PC or ported from the next xbox, then so be it.

Flying-Q

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
[citation][nom]OhThatsWet[/nom]F**k PC. Halo is an Xbox franchise, Microsoft's main franchise.[/citation]

Halo was originally developed as a PC only game (including Mac at the time) that became ported to Xbox during development. Go look at the history. I remember being so disappointed when I read the first hint that it might be dual platform as I knew that it would die on PC. Lo, and behold - it did!

There are more windows based PCs in the world than XBoxes so it seems clear that PCs would be Microsoft's main franchise.

Q

G

"bring the franchise back to the PC if Microsoft insists on milking the Halo cow a little longer. Talk about sore nipples, though."

Yeah Because Halo is Totally Milking it when COD has 2x as many games out.

G

To all the PC gamers who are complaining about consoles and how game companies make more games for them than for you, well look at WHY.... PC's can come in a HUGE variety of specifications, Consoles don't. Xbox original games like the first HaloCE still work on the latest Xbox360 Thats a Ten Year old game still working but on the latest console. Now if you want games companies to do the same for PC's and MAC's then there needs to be some sort of technology streamlining, everyone following the same Processor Ram and Graphics cards combination so that Games manufacturers have an easier time making games for you and I who are PC Gamers. Stop bitching that consoles are killing the games industry, its all the variables components that can make up PC's which are killing the PC games industry, Until PC's and Macs conform to a more limited set of processor, Ram and Graphics card setup then the console market will continue to grow and the PC Market will continue to have bug ridden games, Games companies cannot test a PC Game on every know PC configuration because that is just impossible so you get a game released with bugs, Unlike Console games where they are designed to run on that console and tested on that console, Its simply easier to write games for a console or a few different consoles than an almost infinite number of PC Specifications machines. Stop bagging consoles and embrace them, they are not that far off becoming a combined machine anyways, Consoles that can perform just like PC's.

Status
Not open for further replies.