Microsoft Patent Hints 3D Projectors For Smartphones

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]sultansulan[/nom]Wp7 has failed.Even Samsung Bada Outsells wp7[/citation]
Not the point, WP7 is actually a really solid OS, but it was late to the market so it hasn't really picked up well..

Anybody that has used or owns a WP7 device will tell you that it's fantastic.
Actually.. WP7 probably has the highest percentage of happy device users. I haven't heard or seen any real bad feedback.

Anyway back on topic.. How are they going to fit this into a phone? It would have to be quite thick, I mean there's a Sony camera with a projector built into it's screen and the screen is 1/3 as thick as the camera because of it.

Not only that, but external sensory devices around the room to pick up touch would be inconvenient and expensive especially if companies or schools or businesses wanted to implement it into their presentation rooms or offices..

AznCracker

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Not the point, WP7 is actually a really solid OS, but it was late to the market so it hasn't really picked up well..Anybody that has used or owns a WP7 device will tell you that it's fantastic.Actually.. WP7 probably has the highest percentage of happy device users. I haven't heard or seen any real bad feedback. [/citation]
Completely agree. If you look up customer reviews on windows phones, they are almost all 5 stars. i might try it, but im also hooked on android so idk

RealJames

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
[citation][nom]errorcode99[/nom]wait, is this... an actual invention instead of some general crap? can't be... this is madness! call the president![/citation]

Japan has had this already...

gerchokas

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
Wonder how date can terrific coming roam may date over and over again, then gingle calls fung and bam never again i have a ponney booming y'all.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]SmileyTPB1[/nom]One step closer to "Help me Obi Wan Kenobi, you're our only hope."[/citation]
[citation][nom]830hobbes[/nom]Yeah, I was really expecting Tom's to use this picture: http://b4tea.com/wp-content/upload [...] logram.jpg[/citation]
And that music just played in my head...Luke's theme, i think it's called? God, the SW nostalgia...

G

No, the path is not laid out. This is Microsoft patent trolling at it's finest. I guarantee that they have not worked out the details, they're just pre-emptively patenting an idea that's not exactly new, just in case they manage to work out the remaining details later.

In the likely event Google could actually deliver a real product similar to this first, Microsoft will then extort money from handset manufacturers for "patent licensing". What makes it so messed up is that if I were as much of a douchebag as Microsoft, I could go around patenting half baked ideas like this, straight out of science fiction movies. Even though I possess no means or desire to build the first actual product based on this, I could then go around extorting money out of anybody and everybody who actually puts in the hard work to make it real.

G

@frealist - you need to widen your search filters. www.microsoft.com/surface/

G

jabberwocky: I assume you were trying to imply that Microsoft Surface is anything like this patent, which is wrong headed at best.

A giant dual quad core multitouch screen gadget is just like a 3d touch projector on a cellphone, and they both consume about 100 milliwatts under full load, so yes, Microsoft has already implemented this in a product years ago, which is why they are patenting it now.

alxianthelast

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
This is sad. There are laser pico projectors already why aren't they in phones? If it has two it could combine 2 images to create a 3D display on any adequate surface.

All MS needs to add to that soup is 'Kinect' as a HID, by adding an IR sensor and using a camera which most smartphones have anyway. Arguably a mic array to match the reference kinect hardware platform. At which point you aren't talking about a phone anymore, but something closer to a netbook ot supertablet. The 7-10 tabs could be fitted with projectors and a Kinect like HID.. I just don't see why (for an MS device) it would be a good idea.

The question is what for? What would you need an overkill device for?

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
[citation][nom]frealist[/nom]No, the path is not laid out. This is Microsoft patent trolling at it's finest. I guarantee that they have not worked out the details, they're just pre-emptively patenting an idea that's not exactly new, just in case they manage to work out the remaining details later.In the likely event Google could actually deliver a real product similar to this first, Microsoft will then extort money from handset manufacturers for "patent licensing". What makes it so messed up is that if I were as much of a douchebag as Microsoft, I could go around patenting half baked ideas like this, straight out of science fiction movies. Even though I possess no means or desire to build the first actual product based on this, I could then go around extorting money out of anybody and everybody who actually puts in the hard work to make it real.[/citation]

You post that crap and accuse MSFT of being a Troll? They've already shown a demo of most of this with Omnitouch.

Haters gonna hate, trolls gonna troll.

thepetey

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
Haters are gonna hate. Clearly Microsoft is innovating a ton of new products... just look at the amount of money they spend on R&D. Its all about the balance between using your newest technologies/practices and improving existing products whether your own or your competitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.