Microsoft Patents DVR for Game Consoles

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
So who would Sony sue? Sue the patent office for giving patents on patents that already exist, or Microsoft for filing the patent?

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Strange, I have a DVR from Comcast for years. How come M$ can get a patent on a 'DVR' feature? If anything they would have to PAY royalties to whoever made the first 'DVR' to begin with.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Strange, I have a DVR from Comcast for years. How come M$ can get a patent on a 'DVR' feature? If anything they would have to PAY royalties to whoever made the first 'DVR' to begin with.[/citation]
The patent says DVR's in CONSOLE VIDEO GAME SYSTEMS!!!
Even the headline says "DVR of Game Consoles".

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
So basically you can take 2 separate inventions put them together and patent it? so who patented wifi on phones, wifi on TV, wifi on a game console, wifi on a computer, peanut butter and jelly, antenna integrated into a TV...etc? I think i'm gonna patent sharks with laser beams strapped on to it, so I can collect $$$ from Doctor Evil.

G

This is an example of how stupid the US Patent Office and some companies can be. Multiple programs writing and reading from disk simultaneously is nothing new. Perhaps, I should seek a patent to read dental files and record music at the same time? Just because they are different applications does not mean that I have created new technology. I support the patent office and protecting intellectual rights (whereas China and Google do not), but this is not new technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.