Microsoft Publishes Kinect For Windows SDK Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
I'm glad to see them go down this path. I've always said that the xbox thing was just a test bed for the technology and that it would someday be as common as the mouse on a PC. It may take a much smaller form when main stream on a PC, since it won't need to detect large "dance" movements, but instead be focused on more subtle gestures, primarily focused on the hands. Virtual keyboard anyone?

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
The only reason I bought a Kinect was to play with it on a PC... glad to hear that MS is finally supporting that use, the SDK should make it a bit easier to work with.

erinc

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
That last sentence doesn't make sense Douglas.

Surely it wouldn't be that much work to port XBox360 kinect games across to PC? I'd rather like that on my HTPC.

wcooper007

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
humm can we say Windows 8 Touch ui without the touch just the kinect aspect becuase i love the way the kinect works with netflix and other services its just awsome. so is the speech recognition.

G

@hixbot

and though i principally agree with you, i understand MS invested a substantial amount of money to get this product mainstream, they would like to recuperate some of that expense, it kind of sux if other people are profiting from MS investment without contributing anything back to MS, it could result in MS losing large amounts of cash on Kinect while others are making a tidy profit from it

Status
Not open for further replies.