Microsoft Rejects Motorola Settlement; Xbox Closer to Doom

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

john_4

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
"Surprisingly, Activision and iPhone maker Apple are currently opposing a possible US market ban of the Xbox 360 Slim by the ITC."
Trust me, the super rich elites are usually one big happy family and will not let one of their own go down.

G

This patent shit must be revamped... seriously. It slows down innovation and makes companies waste money and time in justice instead of actually working on improving the technology. I understand it protects the original owner of the idea, but geez, if you want your project to be the reference... just do better than the others. You can't prevent the world from taking advantage of something just because you had the idea first and you fail to deliver. Oh well... I guess it is what the capitalism is about. Make more money and screw everyone else.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]it will be doomed f the next xbox turns out to have shoddy hardware like the 360 did[/citation]
i have bought 3 xboxes and had to deal with returning them 3 times, im currently on xbox number 7, i only had it for exclusive games, and honestly, microsoft isn't interested in those anymore, so this next one dies, i am waiting on emulators.

[citation][nom]ubercake[/nom]If they do ban the 360, there's no matter of choosing between the PS3 and the Wii. The PS3 will be handed all the sales. You either want next gen or you settle for kid games on the Wii. Most of the games you play on the Wii are now available on your smart phone.[/citation]

i wont call them kids games, but they are kid friendly games.
its either you get the good graphic system, or you get a system that is primarily a dumping ground for party games.

[citation][nom]drwho1[/nom]LOL people still calling PS3 "next gen" even though its been around for a long time now.(almost at the end of its life)[/citation]

they are called next gen till the next gen is announced.

[citation][nom]aqualipt[/nom]i used to like google, now they just revealed how fu*king greedy they were, i mean, if you want to make it to CEO or have a multi-billion companie you HAVE to be greedy, you cant care about anyone else but you, you MUST be the best of the best but you CAN NOT think you are the only one like that, you have to realise that there is competition and you have to eliminate it to succed BUT this lawsit is simply stupid, they are asking for WAAY TOO MUCH and that its not aceptable, i mean $4Billion a year only to pay the license fees? thats simply not aceptable, no wonder that no one have come up with a truly new product in years (they simply make the current products better) because there is no need! people come up with new thing when they want money, now all they have to do is think of an stupid idea, patent it and sue later....Fu*k the system[/citation]

this lawsuit has been going on sense before google acquired them... has google acquired them yet or is that still up in the air?

G

Microsoft does this to everyone else (Including Linux using companies and android phone companies) with no "fair" cause. They deserve it back.

I don't care what excuse Microsoft gives there patents are as useless as this "one" is claimed to be.

What goes around comes around. I hope Google gets all the money back Microsoft has wrongfully stolen from Android and Linux throughout the years.

That being said It's not nice to ban someones products from market. But sometimes that's the only way to get them to listen? It just seems immature.

kronos_cornelius

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
[citation][nom]aqualipt[/nom]i used to like google, now they just revealed how fu*king greedy they were, i mean, if you want to make it to CEO or have a multi-billion companie you HAVE to be greedy, you cant care about anyone else but you, you MUST be the best of the best but you CAN NOT think you are the only one like that, you have to realise that there is competition and you have to eliminate it to succed BUT this lawsit is simply stupid, they are asking for WAAY TOO MUCH and that its not aceptable, i mean $4Billion a year only to pay the license fees? thats simply not aceptable, no wonder that no one have come up with a truly new product in years (they simply make the current products better) because there is no need! people come up with new thing when they want money, now all they have to do is think of an stupid idea, patent it and sue later....Fu*k the system[/citation]

The best defense is a good offense. Microsoft has been harassing Android manufacturers for little simple, yet convenient code tricks. So, Google is just giving MS a taste of its own medicine.
Don't worry though, this will likely work itself into a cross-licensing agreement.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]john_4[/nom]It's the MS way. Lie, Copy, Steal and Monopolize. If that don't work then use thuggery, bribery (aka Office ISO standard) or what ever it takes to accomplish the objective. Sounds like the Marxist Kenyan liar we have Occupying the White House right now.[/citation]
Reminds me of a company that uses a Fruit in it's logo.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
For those who may have forgotten...
M$ demands and has been PAID by various Android companies for licensing fees... for every Android phone and tablet sold.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]Reminds me of a company that uses a Fruit in it's logo.[/citation]
Blackberry? Just kidding, I couldn't resist. Though I completely agree with your comment.

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
[citation][nom]AndrewMD[/nom]First of all, Microsoft owns the ActiveSync technology, this is something they designed back the with old PDA days against Palm. How is it that this became a Motorola patent?I would like to see more information about the patents in question since this article does not source any.[/citation]
MS has settled with all players about licencing ActiveSync except with Motorola. this article is poorly written. Motorola has offered settlement terms to pay MS 33 cent for every Android based device (because of ActiveSync) and that MS pay to them 2.25% of Xbox sale and 50 cent of Windows copies for Motorola's video and wireless technology used in them.

SkateZilla

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
Active Sync's Technical Architecture used by MS pre-date's Motorola's Patent Approval Date.

This is a case where someone noticed the technology being used by big companies was not patented, filed a quick patent.. then waited a bit and sued everyone that used the technology.

Law Suits over Patents has become crazy stupid, because there are small town no-name colleges and companies Filing general description Patents, with no working models or technical data, Then when someone else does all the work and developes the working model, they sue them for violating their patent.

Some college filed a Patent for "A Device that uses the user's body as a input device", with no technical data or working models... then sued Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft and won.

G

Not a big deal as far as I'm concerned. Hopefully all those 11 year old Xbox gamers head over to PS3 instead of ruining PC gaming.

spookyman

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]also cannot wrap my head around why Apples opinion is relevant in this situation.[/citation]

Because Microsoft bailed out Apple back in the late 90's. Without the infusion of cash. Apple would of disappeared.

Status
Not open for further replies.