Microsoft Releases New Security Essentials Beta

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
[citation][nom]stm1185[/nom]I thought MS giving away free software with Windows was illegal use of a monopoly to control the markets. [/citation]

That was because IE came preinstalled. This doesn't

G

LOL
Hey Mom my Swiss Cheese OS has something to stop viruses
Oops ohh well I got another virus.

pjmelect

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
I also used to use AVG 9 but I got feed up with the dead tabs in Internet explorer 8 and the clashes with Zone Alarm. What’s worse it no longer seems to be a very effective anti-virus program nowadays. I switched over to using the Microsoft anti-virus program several months ago and so far I have been impressed by it. It doesn’t slow your system down like Norton or MacAfee being light weight yet seemingly effective. It has a few features that I would liked changed a little bit it is still only a beta. I also use the Malwarebytes anti-virus program on other people’s computers which is very good at actually removing a virus if you become infected.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
i don't like paying for protection, but i have been forced to use norton and Ca's antivirus for years, was going to switch to NOD32, until i heard about MS finally putting something out to deal with their software gaps. i mean if this was a car or a house, and it starts leaking in the rain despite my windows and rooftop, that's very bad and in those situations with cars and houses, the builder and manufacturers get sued out the wazzoo for 2- 1000 times the cost they sold it for. software vendors should never have been sheilded from being sued for selling bad/buggy software.
i understand the problems with securing every program, but still if software is used in everything from controlling how your car stops to generating power with nuclear fission...do you really want to be put in harms way with out atleast some semblance of protection?
btw been using ms security esentials for the last 6 months, previous to 2010 i was using avg for a year. i must say security essentials is less taxing and a tad quicker, but there's less action controls, but a far superior detection compared to avg, it even goes after my no-cd/dvd patches and online activation hacks i have had since 123 dvd x-copy went the way of the dodo bird. found a way to put it on a friends tweaked media center edition machine and it goes after all the tweaks the guy did, which sucks, cuz he has a legal key right on the machine for it, he just doesn't want all the pre programmed general load junk with the normal disc install and have to edit or disable stuff after every hard disc wipe he does on a 6 month basis.
i like the fact microsoft is finally trying to correct their gigantic mistake tho i give them props for good effort finally after all these years of waiting!

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
I still think Avast! is a good antivirus as well, but definitely concur that AVG has gone downhill in a hurry. Currently using the original MS Security Essentials. I'm almost afraid to use the new one because the old one works so well.

G

Funny that someone mentions Eset. I used to swear by them, but after scanning my system with MSSE and Malwarebytes, I was shocked by the amount of crap Eset missed.

MSSE works great so far. As long as it stays effective and lightweight, I have no need to use anything else.

chazzmatt

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
I used to swear by ESET also, but they have gone downhill in the past year. I use MSE + Malwarebytes. They work very well together.

Status
Not open for further replies.