Microsoft Releases New SkyDrive Features

Status
Not open for further replies.

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
"In principle, any time your files are uploaded to a cloud storage company, you are compromising your security and privacy. Unless otherwise stated, you must assume that your files are accessible by employees of the company, no matter what encryption is being used. However, whatever the legal stipulations, the reasonable position is that companies cannot be seen to be voluntarily enforcing such content terms as it would create a chilling effect on usage. That is – if they can detect (what they regard as) objectionable content, what else are they recording about your private files?"

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/features/item/15334_Do_you_know_SkyDrives_terms_of.php
http://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyclay/2012/07/19/is-microsoft-spying-on-skydrive-users/

godfather666

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
They should add a syncing feature, where I can sync files on two local computers.

Sort of like what Mesh does now (it's being discontinued in February).

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
[citation][nom]godfather666[/nom]They should add a syncing feature, where I can sync files on two local computers.Sort of like what Mesh does now (it's being discontinued in February).[/citation]
The skydrive app (desktop version) allows you to select which files you want on that computer. It makes a separate skydrive folder under your user account.

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
[citation][nom]godfather666[/nom]They should add a syncing feature, where I can sync files on two local computers.Sort of like what Mesh does now (it's being discontinued in February).[/citation]
The skydrive application creates a folder under your user account and allows you to select which folders you want synced on your computer.

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
It already does this.
Install the local Skydrive client onto your computer, then go to Windows Explorer, right click on "Documents", select 'Location' then move the folder to skydrive on multiple machines. I have been doing this for over a year on my work computer, netbook, and 2 home PCs and there has only once been a conflict where it could not figure out what revision of a file I wanted to keep.
When you change something on one computer, it will change it on the other machines very quickly the next time you log in. Just do not use the same file on multiple computers concurrently, otherwise you will have some issues.

Very handy.

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
[citation][nom]kellybean[/nom]No Thanks, MS Cloud = Free rign to the FEDS compliments of MS who is in their back pocket.[/citation]
and so what are you hiding on your computer :p

wydileie

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]zugzug_64[/nom]I didn't think MS was a search engine giant...Google yes, MS no.[/citation]

MS powers Bing and Yahoo and has over 12% market share. While this may not seem like a lot compared to Google's 80%+, when you consider the amount of searches done across most of the world in any given day, 12% of those is still a lot.

headscratcher

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
[citation][nom]thecolorblue[/nom]all your personal files for microsoft employees to look at if desired and for automated datamining... no thanks[/citation]
Everyone complaining like this.... do you use gmail, chrome, android, etc?

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom]and so what are you hiding on your computer[/citation]
Hitler could only have dreamed of "the cloud"... it would have been a wet one indeed.
ini hitler's time, people would have been "hiding" family photos with any visible dipctions of jewish culture.

What will the next oppressive regime target, and do you think you can predict what innocuous and arbitrary subject matter will be used against you or your children or your children's children to destroy their life?

try thinking with that brain of yours and shame on you for defending "cloud" anything

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
[citation][nom]headscratcher[/nom]Everyone complaining like this.... do you use gmail, chrome, android, etc?[/citation]
the soultion to these problems is rit around the corner with the "freedom box"... look it up

try youtube

Status
Not open for further replies.