Microsoft Reveals Xbox TV Providers; Holiday Release

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I miss the old Netflix . . . too many corporations trying to get too much money out of us.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
[citation][nom]burnley14[/nom]What's this going to cost?[/citation]

My first thought too :)

What's the price? If they can somehow bump the live membership cost up and include this, that would be sweet. Say you pay $70 for the year or something. If it's a monthly fee (which it probably will be) they are going to have a VERY tough time getting people to move from Netflix or other services.

MoonMe2

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
It seems that ISP's knew this kind of service is coming. Bandwidth caps will be overflowing.
(sorry, no option to edit my post)?

G

I just got an HD HomeRun Prime to use the Xbox as my cable box. $3.50/month to rent a cablecard, and now I simply hook a wireless xbox up to the network and have my cable anywhere. However, $200 for the device. This feature M$ announced will likely still require a cable subscription, it just eliminates your current cable box, or it adds a cable box in the case where your 360 is attached in say, the kids' room. They now get these digital channels etc instead of just what is plugged into the TV's tuner.

godmode

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
their signing in all of those "content providers" but i have a feeling its going to cost a lot since there's the total lack of pricing info.

itchyisvegeta

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
I will be greatly interested in this, as long as it doesn't require an existing cable service provider.

Problem is, with all these internet TV apps coming out, these limited high speed data plans may become a problem.

G

Won't the FCC / CRTC (Canada) step in to regulate this content, as they do with cable providers?

CKKwan

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
I bet when Sony comes out with this service, they will make it available world wide within 1 month.

MS, US != the entire wolrd. I don't get any zune service until today. :(

MoonMe2

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
[citation][nom]itchyisvegeta[/nom]I will be greatly interested in this, as long as it doesn't require an existing cable service provider.Problem is, with all these internet TV apps coming out, these limited high speed data plans may become a problem.[/citation]
Couldn't agree with you more.

G

Unfortunately, they've now announced that it's only with existing cable service providers... too bad. They almost had a good idea. Unfortunately, I will never go back to pay-tv as long as the prices are so ridiculous to watch the 10 or so channels I enjoy. Long live icefilms/streaming/torrents... my movie/tv collection has never been bigger :)

Status
Not open for further replies.