Microsoft Shutting Down Original Xbox Live

Status
Not open for further replies.

reasonablevoice

Distinguished
May 10, 2008
"This will provide the greatest benefit to our online community"
Yeah, I think you mean the greatest benefit to your bottom line. I don't know in which universe you consider losing online functionality of your games a benefit.

soundefx

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
I actually forgot that the original xbox had live. Now they will have more hardware for the 360 live infrastructure.

amabhy

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
[citation][nom]homerhellboy223[/nom]Money making scoundrels![/citation]

Eh, I dunno guys. It might be a good idea considering the only games that still have players are like the original Halo games. All the other rooms are usually empty now, save a lone room here or there.

Honestly those still on the original Xbox live are getting ripped off if they play games nobody else does, so in a way Microsoft is saving them money.

In addition, actually this will benefit the community in that 360 gamers, the majority, get more servers, better bandwidth, lower ping etc...

So actually I see this as a good thing.

duckmanx88

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
"And as we look down the road, we’ll continue to evolve the service with features and experiences that harness the full power of Xbox 360."

make it free? :)

babybeluga

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
[citation][nom]homerhellboy223[/nom]Money making scoundrels! And wtf, Counterstrike on xbox live? I think somebody is misinformed on Tom's Hardware.[/citation]

Counterstrike was pretty awesome on XBL actually, so, you're the one who needs to be informed. And seriously...money making scoundrels? If you're still playing XBL on the original Xbox, you're poor and shouldn't be paying $50/year for Xbox Live.

socrates047

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
"And as we look down the road, we’ll continue to DEVOLVE the service with features and Money-Makers that PITY the full power of Xbox 360"

fixed

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
WHAT?! No 2g iPhone support anymore?! WTF Steve Jobs! What? This isn't about that? Oh snap.. I guess APPLE isn't the only one to stop supporting old tech.. Damn. I hope this will shut up them Anti-Apple people. But doubt it. Hate IS blind after all.

But to post on topic.. I'm gonna miss Halo 2... :(

matt314

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
[citation][nom]Scuba Dave[/nom]WHAT?! No 2g iPhone support anymore?! WTF Steve Jobs! What? This isn't about that? Oh snap.. I guess APPLE isn't the only one to stop supporting old tech.. Damn. I hope this will shut up them Anti-Apple people. But doubt it. Hate IS blind after all. But to post on topic.. I'm gonna miss Halo 2...[/citation]

Ya its the same thing really, because the iphone 2G came out in 2001 as well, and there is a 200$ upgrade available...

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]screechy[/nom]If you start having halo withdraws, you can always use xbox cnnect. Which is like XBL but free[/citation]Stop making sense. Just stop it. Nobody here will take you seriously if you say anything except "OMGF TEY KILL HALO @22 ONLINE I WET PANTS BBQQ".

Montezuma

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
So, when will European Xbox(original) users receive their refund, like they did when the PS3 "fat" lost its "Other OS" function, from Amazon? Though I am a U.S. citizen, it would be hilarious to see that new article.

In all seriousness, this does seem like a bad move. When you purchase a piece of software, you expect to be able to use that software forever. Though it might not continue to function like newer software, it will still offer the same options it did when you first purchased it.

What worries me is when the Xbox 360 is on the chopping block. I own two of them(among many other systems) and I want to be able to use this device to its limits, until it fails outside of warranty or I decide to stow it. This is why being able to run your own server is the best option for any game.

I am not saying that Microsoft has to provide server space for rather old games, but the company needs to give the people who still play those games options for connecting whoever else is still playing.

pojih

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
Everyone complains about apple shutting down the 2g iphone.. xbox shutting down a service that started more than 6 years ago.

The PC people... have had to update numerous times since then.. if you want software to be = with hardware, then you have to give up your OLD hardware for NEW stuff.

You can't have your pie and eat it too (or so I'm told)

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
On the plus side, this means xbox prices will drop even more, I will be able to get them off ebay and whatnot for practically nothing. Let the shenanigans begin! I want to make that dual sided xbox spike club thing that Bill Gates had in that video.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]tipoo[/nom]On the plus side, this means xbox prices will drop even more, I will be able to get them off ebay and whatnot for practically nothing. Let the shenanigans begin! I want to make that dual sided xbox spike club thing that Bill Gates had in that video.[/citation]
A year ago one of my local shops sold original xbox's and gamecubes by the dozens for only $50 each. Even this one xbox that was modded beyond belief, only $50...

Status
Not open for further replies.