Microsoft Shutting Down Original Xbox Live

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

miloo

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
[citation][nom]duckmanx88[/nom]"And as we look down the road, we’ll continue to evolve the service with features and experiences that harness the full power of Xbox 360."make it free?[/citation]

may be cheaper ? 5 dollars a year ?

berserker29

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
"To reach our aspiration, we need to make changes to the service that are incompatible with our original Xbox v1 games."

This line is absolute BS. You never have to REMOVE WORKING pieces from software to add in new bits. This is like creating a game, and then telling people that "In order to offer a DX11 version of our game, we had no choice but to send out a patch that disables the DX9 version that everyone was already using."

Software functions don't do anything unless they are called - THAT'S THE POINT. If Microshaft wants to remove the original Xbox's online function in attempt to push 360 adoption, that's their business, but yesterday Halo 2 worked on Xbox live Gold (360) accounts.

codefuapprentice

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
I used to play a few games on XBL on my Xbox, but since i bought my 360, i went over to 360 games online, however..i rarely use live for multiplayer now, and am silver level, not because i'm "cheap" but mainly because i wouldn't use it enough to justify paying for it.
Although i do feel bad for those who still played those live enabled games on the 1st system.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
U know... activision blizzard was faced with a similar problem when updating battle.net to support new games. Oddly enough they found it better to relabel the existing system to classic.battle.net and simply keep it running. Thanks to blizzard, people who bought Diablo in early '97 can still play it online if they so wish.
Suppose microsoft doesn't have the knowhow to keep the games running they're earning money on selling.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]I guess a lot of Halo 2 players will be pouring into Halo 2 for PC?[/citation]

My understanding is that it uses XBL as well.

digitalprospecter

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Amazing how the spin doctors can make taking something away from you sound good! Nice way to force people, perfectly happy with things as they are, to upgrade.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
lol @ someone not knowing that CS is on Xbox 1. We aren't talking about cs:s not being on xbox360.

Well I dunno why they'd need to shut it down. I would guess a lot of people still play halo2. Maybe they should just keep halo2 active and cut the rest. Although there were games that were more fun than halo2 on xbox live and worked on the 360. But those games, what was one called Crimson Skies or something like that, not very many people play. I went in Crimson Skies a few times on different days and it was always the same handful of people playing. And they get rude if you don't have the free map pack lol.

x7thBurn

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
Berserker29...apparently you don't know anything about coding. You can add and add and add sure, but there IS a such thing as different lines of code conflicting with each other. The guys making the service aren't idiots. If they say that they can't move on with their ideas to enhance the service because the new code conflicts with the old code then they can't.

berserker29

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
[citation][nom]x7thBurn[/nom]Berserker29...apparently you don't know anything about coding. You can add and add and add sure, but there IS a such thing as different lines of code conflicting with each other. The guys making the service aren't idiots. If they say that they can't move on with their ideas to enhance the service because the new code conflicts with the old code then they can't.[/citation]

I never said it could be done with everything exactly as is, but they are saying that the function itself is incompatible with future improvements, so either: (A) It's BS or (B) They build all of their functions - old and new - straight into the main body of the code, instead of calling them as needed - which WOULD make them idiots.

x7thBurn

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
Microsoft isn't changing the entire structure of Xbox Live though. They are just modifying it so of course they are going to just be adding straight into what they have already. Since when is anybody in the world going to rework an entire set of code just for a few lines that are just going to build upon what is already there?

None of this matters anyways. People need to move on. If the people complaining about the Xbox getting cut off then they've got more important things to worry about that aren't related to how they are going to game online.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]excalibur1814[/nom]@Scuba DaveSUcked to be G4 owners when Leopard hit.[/citation]

...What does that have to do with me? Or this topic in general? I have an i7 Win7 rig lol.. >.>

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
[citation][nom]pojih[/nom]if you want software to be = with hardware, then you have to give up your OLD hardware for NEW stuff.[/citation]

Ya, but all we want is to play Halo 2 online.

Status
Not open for further replies.