Microsoft Silverlight May Be Coming to Xbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhino13

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
For it to be the multimedia center wouldn't it ned Blu-Ray?

You know the thing Win 7 is so proud it can handle while OS X is still off in the dark ages somewhere.

I know another console that could handle that...

kewlx

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
hmm wherever I go now I have internet. computers rule all with its capabilities. Then you have the phone and mp3 player with limited internet and gaming and music capabilities, then the blueray console area with internet and music and movies also. everything is something else just depends where you are at the moment.

g-thor

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
One development tool to rule them all.
One development tool to find them.
One development tool to bring them all
And in the Internet bind them.

Rahbot

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2008
Can you say Free Playstation Network, Internet, Online gaming, well it does everything don't it. Xbox/ Mircosoft If we can charge for it lets do it. Thats why I still got my Playstation and not an Xbox360 well I got the PS3 first loved it and then got a XBox360 it was ok but sold it 1 week after getting it. Didnt like the fact no internet, nothing was free really. So i stuck with my PS3 and PC's sorry Xbox/Mircosoft.

jomofro39

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
[citation][nom]RahBoT[/nom]Can you say Free Playstation Network, Internet, Online gaming, well it does everything don't it. Xbox/ Mircosoft If we can charge for it lets do it. Thats why I still got my Playstation and not an Xbox360 well I got the PS3 first loved it and then got a XBox360 it was ok but sold it 1 week after getting it. Didnt like the fact no internet, nothing was free really. So i stuck with my PS3 and PC's sorry Xbox/Mircosoft.[/citation]
I think I see what you are trying to say. I am also pleased that I chose my PS3 over Xbox. If I bought them at the same time, played the same amount of online games, my Xbox would have cost me roughly 650 (400 + 50/yr * 5 yrs) and another 50 bucks this upcoming year, while my ps3 still only cost me the 400 to initially buy it. Just saying, the price is right. And blu-ray. And web browser for years. Multimedia machine.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
Hindsight is 20/20.

I bought mine on launch and at the time the format wars were going on so I opted for the 360 due to the cheaper price and the use of DVD.

If I could only go back.

Unless things change big time I doubt I will be buying Microsoft on the next gen.

ecnovaec

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
I know this is completely off-topic... but i have to vent. This site has become so add-laden and popup covered that it has become way beyond annoying and I find myself visting about 10% as often as I used to. PLUS, if you aren't logged in and try to post a comment, it gives precedence to new users signing up, not existing users to log in, very lame.

Also, silverlight sucks

wawa sxm

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
[citation][nom]RahBoT[/nom]Can you say Free Playstation Network, Internet, Online gaming, well it does everything don't it. Xbox/ Mircosoft If we can charge for it lets do it. Thats why I still got my Playstation and not an Xbox360 well I got the PS3 first loved it and then got a XBox360 it was ok but sold it 1 week after getting it. Didnt like the fact no internet, nothing was free really. So i stuck with my PS3 and PC's sorry Xbox/Mircosoft.[/citation]

If you bought a ps3 to surf the web something is wrong with you, ps3 online gaming is uncomparable to xbox live, it might be free but its no where near the level of xbox live, and late comers always have to offer an incentive to catch up, blu ray yeah if only not to have multiple disc of the same game but otherwise i rather the lower price and access times ....lets see if next gen will be free aswell....i bought my console to play games but thats just me

jomofro39

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
[citation][nom]wawa sxm[/nom]If you bought a ps3 to surf the web something is wrong with you, ps3 online gaming is uncomparable to xbox live, it might be free but its no where near the level of xbox live, and late comers always have to offer an incentive to catch up, blu ray yeah if only not to have multiple disc of the same game but otherwise i rather the lower price and access times ....lets see if next gen will be free aswell....i bought my console to play games but thats just me[/citation]

Got haterade?

blu-ray discs do also sometimes contain 1080p movies.

And nobody buys a console to surf the web, it is just one of the many features us with PS3s have had the OPTION to enjoy for years. Isn't this article about how finally you might be able to get a browser on a Xbox as well as it getting silverlight?

As for the online experiences, I have no idea if Xbox live is better because I have never owned one nor do I intend to pay for it. If you bought a console to do online gaming, something is wrong with you. PC ftw in that category.

gmarsack

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
Silverlight 4 does not require a web browser people! It's called "out of browser" experience and can be developed to live on the desktop. I can see this easily being ported to XBox. This would offer XBox developers another path to choose similar to the WP7 platform support XNA and Silverlight. I for one welcome it. Silverlight is a growing technology that has a great deal of potential, especially as it placed on more platforms.

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
This might influence me to get another 360 someday, but it's still tough to choose it over a PS3. Go to Pandora/Youtube during get togethers for convenient (and free) online entertainment. Free online gaming with dedicated server support on nearly all exclusives. Sure it's not as big as XBL but it does seem to have tighter quality control. Sony's exclusives just keep coming in a wide variety, all using custom game engines vs UE3 for nearly everything. Speaking of which Gears and whatever's next for Halo seem to be the only 360 exclusives left.

Then of course there's Blu-ray which is good for movies and games which will only be getting larger. As for the longer load time argument, the PS3 version of Oblivion loaded faster than the 360, and God of War 3 runs seamlessly from boot up to end credits without an HDD install, so both multi plat and exclusive developers are perfectly capable of finding solutions there. Then Valve chooses to implement Steam on PS3, because they consider it a more open platform than the 360. Kinda ironic how the PS3 is more like a PC than the 360, which Microsoft seems to apply more of an Apple-like philosophy to on the business side.

Simply put a PS3 is now $300, a 360 with an HDD is now $300, but you're still getting more for the money with a PS3.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
[citation][nom]g-thor[/nom]One development tool to rule them all.One development tool to find them.One development tool to bring them allAnd in the Internet bind them.[/citation]

Win.

appolospb

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
Why does the topic of multimedia on Xbox come up everytime. I have a Xbox and dont use it for any multimedia. The PS3 or XBOX is no competitor to a media centre PC with media browser installed and a large HDD full of films. Blu Ray is not the future, the future is media centres with HDD's containing the latest shows and movies to watch whenever its convinient and no hassle of disc changing etc etc

Status
Not open for further replies.