Microsoft Sued Over Red Ring of Death

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ravenware

Distinguished
May 17, 2005
least reliable gaming console in this decade

That is saying a lot as it will have to square off against the the Playstation 2. I had one the first units manufactured; it scratched my discs, refused to play some pristine DVDs and eventually the drive jammed. Opened it up fixed the drive but snapped some needle thin wires conectiong my fan to the mainboard. Ended up tossing the first; bought a revision model in '07 and the laser began failing after 6 months until it refused to play anything. Eventually fixed it. This why I am not so quick to drop 400 - 600 on a new system.

G

nelson_nel, I love you explosive, over the top response to the use of the word 'Apparently'. Way to keep your cool!
blackened144, I don't know if it is reasonable to disqualify 'a lot of these failures' because you have stupid friends.
Lastly, I don't know the extend of MS's negligence but you have to understand that it was a race to the retail stores. The money is not in the hardware itself, it's in the annual fee, the software, and the accessories, period. If MS put out faulty equipment and it was purchased then a HUGE portion of those people are already going to have accessories, games, membership, et al. They WILL wait for a replacement or to get it fixed. At this point they are tied to XBox, their not going anywhere and MS has won one more buyer, present and future. The average consumer puts out just over 1450.00 in game console, games, accessories and online expense in a five year period. So you tell me, would it have been cheaper to let the ps3 come out first and loose those, what was it about 7 million, consoles sold? (7 million times $1450.00[approx ]) minus the TRUE cost of fixing the equipment...were it not for these potential losses in legal costs, it would have been (and probably still is) the best financial move. So don't jump of the idea of putting out faulty equipment is laughably outrageous. It's been done before and it will be done again.

G

I'd like to put a theory out there.

I personally think that Microsoft released faulty 360s intentionally, to ward off piracy.

Think about it.Microsoft is no strangeer to piracy. They know how often it happens better then anyone. Now, pirating 360 games is possible, but it involves opening the console, and voiding your warranty. If you knew that the console had a high failure rate, you'd certainly htink twice about voiding your warranty.

Might be a bit paranoid, but its not outlandish either.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
Microsoft isn't the sole party to blame here. You have people that do not take care of the console in terms of proper ventilation and then you have nVidia to blame.

The majority of the problems around the red ring come from GPU issues. All of the GPUs are made by nVidia.

Microsoft should have stayed with the ATI solution...

sezyboy

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2006
what people seem to not get is that if a person has to return the product more than 1 time in 3 years, that product is garbage.

If this were a car company, bye bye car company.

nukemaster

Distinguished
[citation][nom]ravenware[/nom]hat is saying a lot as it will have to square off against the the Playstation 2. I had one the first units manufactured; it scratched my discs, refused to play some pristine DVDs and eventually the drive jammed. Opened it up fixed the drive but snapped some needle thin wires conectiong my fan to the mainboard. Ended up tossing the first; bought a revision model in '07 and the laser began failing after 6 months until it refused to play anything. Eventually fixed it. This why I am not so quick to drop 400 - 600 on a new system.[/citation]
Yeah, There was ALLOT of defective PS2's. that said, it was before the sue for everyone mentality and Sony did not even admit or warranty those ones.

giovanni86

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
360 is the best console that ever came out, best EVER. If it died today i'd go buy another one, but even if it did die i have warranty with best buy and a 3 year warranty with Microsoft.

G

Well that does it!!!! I am selling the xbox 360 tomorrow… Stupid xbox 360!!!!

G

This is very simple to understand. Let's pretend this is a fridge and not a game console. There are millions of them out there, they have a high failure rate, but the company replaces it within a few weeks each time it dies. People want their money back instead because it is a defective product, but the fridge company says no. The fridge company is in the wrong. IMHO. Give them their money back for the fridge and any food they lost (i.e. games published by Microsoft).

Simple. Only in fanboy land is it acceptable to ship such a product... I had assumed that they MUST have resolved the problem when I bought mine... no such luck - it died within a few months. Luckily, I DID get my money back from the retailer. Got a store credit rather - which I bought the PS3 with. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.