Microsoft Sued Over Windows Update

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrendanS

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
This is very regular for minor tech companies to be bought out and then using the aquired patents from the bought company to sue for breaches of patent.

This patent seems to broad to be upheld but if you file enough lawsuits eventually one pays off and thats all they need to continue to aquire old patents and file suits based on them.

Patents gone crazy... but now the system is in place it will be very hard to implement any change to it.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
Lately I almost feel bad for M$

Everyone and their dog are suing M$ now, I am surprised no one got them for the “start” button yet...

We, the consumer will be the big losers regardless of the outcomes of these lawsuits through higher costs and crippled software.

I think this particular case will be thrown out of court.

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
If my PC gets a virus becuase I can't update windows using windows update (if the isreal company that should be blown up by a suicie bomber wins), then i am suing that isreal company.

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
There has been download managers that used this method for a long time. I remember back in the dial up days, i was using a download manager to download the latest version of ATI multimedia center and the all in wonder drivers. Took a long time. That was in 1996-1997.

The method for downloading things in the background have been used for a long time. Most HTTP servers support resume, and some FTP servers do, the fact that it has been impemented in HTTP and FTP way back before 1999 tells you something.

G

Boy oh boy, if people keep suing Microsoft, they're going to become so good at defending that all lawsuits will eventually fail!!

timaahhh

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
[citation][nom]brendano257[/nom]If I was that company I would disown Windows Update....it's a disaster, no wonder they make restore points before updating. Windows update reset my pc overnight without consent, killed some downloads and that's just plain annoying.[/citation]
How do you not use a download manager on downloads that take an entire evening?

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]hurbt[/nom]Doubt this will go anywhere... at worst, MS will pay them off in a settlement.And if hellwig (above) works "in the aerospace industry," then I'm a fricken astronaut.[/citation]
I'm a professional software engineer. I've worked for Honeywell Aerospace on their military cargo aircraft FMS software. I worked for Rockwell Collins on their aircraft ethernet switch for the Airbus A380 program. I'm currently working for GE Aviation on their common computing platform for the Boeing 787 Dreamliner.

So, what shuttle missions have you flown on, jackass?

G

Speaking of updates, the lastest 3.0 update or defender K...15597. that wants to download turns off my wifi radio AND removes my network drive to my other document's folders on my desktop machine.

Before this and after IE8, I updated Dell's D630 Lat/Broadcom WIFI radio. I had to do a system restore. (what a nightmare but I got IE to work--the "note" section of IE8 add-on will not save. And sometimes the browser just sits and spins but the pointer shows all is okay. I do like the recover of the previous webpages from a browser shut down.

C'mon Microsoft, stop interrpupting my private life. Hum, that sounds like a nice law suit, doesn't infringe of my right to privacy, annoyance, nuisance--punitive damages on a quantitative level---isn't that word for lawsuits "to quantify?" :)

Just fix it--and stop screwing with my beer and classical crossover time.

zarxo

Status
Not open for further replies.