Microsoft Sues Datel Over Xbox 360 Controllers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Well, you have to admit, the 360 controller is pretty damned nice.
As far as controllers go, it's very smooth and natural feeling. The simple looking design is also quite attractive.
Would have been awesome if it used a bluetooth link like the PS3 controller however (or if the USB charging cable let you use it on a damned PC, as I prefer controllers for racing games).

If you're going to blatantly rip the design, at least make it somewhat better.

mikepaul

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
There's a $20 adapter to use a 360 controller on a PC. I got one then never used it.

I really like the 360's controller, but the D-Pad sucks. I push Up, sometimes Up is one of the directions that responds. Gave up trying to finish The Simpsons game due to that. Now that I have a 'spare' after replacing my console, I may try one of the fixes found on the Internet.

So, did Datel make a wireless one?...

aleccj1

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
I own the PS3 version of these. Pretty good, actually. Much more comfortable than the DualShock 3. Build quality is decent.

G

Actually I think it may just be because of the turbo function (In an fps it would turn a semi-automatic into a fully automatic) otherwise they would have gone for madcats too.

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
[citation][nom]Marco925[/nom]Meh, third party equipment breaks even more than the original equipment.[/citation]
Most of the non quality stuff does. However, there are some good 3rd party controllers that are quite good.

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
[citation][nom]anamaniac[/nom]Well, you have to admit, the 360 controller is pretty damned nice.As far as controllers go, it's very smooth and natural feeling. The simple looking design is also quite attractive.Would have been awesome if it used a bluetooth link like the PS3 controller however (or if the USB charging cable let you use it on a damned PC, as I prefer controllers for racing games).If you're going to blatantly rip the design, at least make it somewhat better.[/citation]

Exactly. Logitech had a magnificent Xbox360 version for the PC called ChillStream. I don't know if they had an agreement with Microsoft, but the strange thing is, they no longer manufacture it - at least it's not on their website listed as a product, only on the support pages. Which is a pitty, because I personally think this is better than the original.

I've owned it for almost two years and it's amazing. You don't even need additional drivers, whether it's XP, Vista or 7, the OS identifies it as a Xbox 360 controller for the PC (it's got the exact same layout), install the drivers automatically and you're ready to go.
And it's corded, which in my personal opinion ia a plus, since it has less lag than the Microsft wireless version (anyway, it's for the PC, you'll not be far away, unless you play on a Media Center with your TV).

Oh, and it has a 2-speed fan inside with air ducts to cool your hands during long runs. (You can switch if off of course). And it's not white, it's a very elegant grey (what was Microsoft thinking when they released a white controller for the PC when PC's are coming in Grey/Black color schemes, and so do the monitors ?)

Like I speculated, did Microsoft also sue Logitech for this clone ? It's strange it's no longer made... Here's the support page:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/441/292&hub=1&cl=us,en

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
[citation][nom]Marco925[/nom]Meh, third party equipment breaks even more than the original equipment.[/citation]

[citation][nom]Clintonio[/nom]These third party controllers never offer anything decent, and only sell because of people who need to save, or parents/grandparents who don't know the difference between the official and the knockoffs.[/citation]

You both mean "These CHEAP" third party controllers". Logitech and other brands make quite decent gaming equipment.

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
[citation][nom]shadow703793[/nom]Most of the non quality stuff does. However, there are some good 3rd party controllers that are quite good.[/citation]

Exactly!

guitarpeggio

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
[citation][nom]mikepaul[/nom]There's a $20 adapter to use a 360 controller on a PC. I got one then never used it.I really like the 360's controller, but the D-Pad sucks. I push Up, sometimes Up is one of the directions that responds. Gave up trying to finish The Simpsons game due to that. Now that I have a 'spare' after replacing my console, I may try one of the fixes found on the Internet.So, did Datel make a wireless one?...[/citation]

This one works well. I've done it to both of my controllers and it made them much more usable for fighting games.

http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Fix-the-d-pad-on-the-Xbox-360-control-pad-mor/

G

If the consoles were sold with 2 controllers there wouldn't be such a big problem. Also do you really think in asian countries not naming any like"coughChina" that it will have any effect?

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
[citation][nom]babybeluga[/nom]It's always fun to see the big companies suing for change![/citation]
I agree and shame on you MS you greedy scum-bag company.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
How ironic, M$ "knowingly" uses i4i's patent in hopes to "drive them out of the market" and now M$ sues because someone is infringing on one of theirs? I guess M$ wants to offset the ~$300 million owed to i4i by suing Datel...haha

sylvia648

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
MS needs to fuck off with their lawsuits. Based on reading the comments from the posts here I am sure no one will like me saying things in favor of Datel, but I'm here to say not only should Datel make controllers, but any company with the ability to do so should. Fuck MS and the way they get tight ass'd about their wireless controllers. If you think about it the argument for people that go against apple (I don't care for apple myself) is as we've seen in news reports anyone that tries to use their OS outside of the apple branded hardware gets shot down and I am sure a lot of PC fans have used that against Apple, but does anyone else see the MASSIVE amount of HYPOCRISY here? MS go fuck yourself, and to other big companies (that do similar shit) go fuck yourselves.

eccentric909

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
[citation][nom]Clintonio[/nom]These third party controllers never offer anything decent, and only sell because of people who need to save, or parents/grandparents who don't know the difference between the official and the knockoffs.[/citation]

While that is true 95% of the time, there are exceptions. For example in the last gen of consoles, Logitech made the best wireless controllers for both the XBox1 and PS2. I'm also looking forward to the Razer Onza controllers coming to the 360. They will most likely be quite high quality:
http://press.razerzone.com/content/view/408/101/

While the MS 360 controller is pretty damn nice, I'm hoping Razer is able to make an equal or better version, with a MUCH NEEDED revamped D-Pad. That is my #1 complaint about the 360's controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.