Microsoft Suing BitTorrent Tracker for $43M

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dargon_supreme

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
This way Microsoft is going to kill itself. Everybody knows that Microsoft´s Windows and Office solutions dominates the market because of the home user piracy. By fighting against piracy Microsoft is openning the doors for free software, like Linux distributions or OpenOffice. I´m against piracy, but I think Microsoft is going to loose market, because there are a lot of people in the world that can not and will not pay for Microsoft software.

Lewis57

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009
I can't act all high and mighty, i've torrented, a fair bit too. I understand the need to earn moeny to keep producing what they're producing, but the only products i have legally bought are ones that i get student discounts for. Win7 for £30 was great, and if every software manufacture did nice student deals like that, i'd have a fully legal computer. However, the lack of job, and need of product for my course means i have to resort to torrenting. What makes me feel better is that even my college has pirated software (To be fair, the principle is a jerk and the IT course is seriously underfunded.)

lowguppy

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
Microsoft is suing them for infringing the copyright of their product that was infringing someone else's copyright? Seems fair...

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]kobbra[/nom]...and as always is not about the money, it's about the principle(sic)[/citation]

That is why I pirate EVERY single MS product I use.

annymmo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
[citation][nom]anamaniac[/nom]I work my ass off. I barely managed to pay rent this month. I ripped office 2003 and 2007.I also legally own 4 copies of XP and two copies of Win7.I think I've paid enough.I will support whichever companies I choose to.I believe I can see the point of this scenario, btu I still believe Microsoft should back down.However, they have the muscle and power that they could easily do a lot worse. This is just a slight flex of their muscle to remind people. How about Win7 having over 1% market share before its official public release date? You can't tell me that most of them have MSDN or partnership licenses etc. Microsoft let people have Win7.[/citation]

You fool, you could have saved that money by going OpenOffice.org and supporting them.
Instead of a bad company that does very questionable things/tactics to get a hand on the market.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]dargon_supreme[/nom]This way Microsoft is going to kill itself. Everybody knows that Microsoft´s Windows and Office solutions dominates the market because of the home user piracy. By fighting against piracy Microsoft is openning the doors for free software, like Linux distributions or OpenOffice. I´m against piracy, but I think Microsoft is going to loose market, because there are a lot of people in the world that can not and will not pay for Microsoft software.[/citation]
Only reason I have a legit copy of Windows 7 is because they sold it to college students for $30 bucks...lol

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
When M$ stops raping people and copying GNU licensed software and patent trolling software "ideas" and trying to dip its balls into every electronic market known to man...will I respect them. Some of you might even cry that it's just business...I say business with negative ethics...

blackbeastofaaaaagh

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009

I'd sure like to know what you do for a living...
let me guess.. nothing?

I put as much work into coding all day at a games company that any brick layer would, or customer service rep, ect.

its hippies like you that put me off open source in general!
(on that note, why don't you get open office if you care so much?)

scientists spend there entire lives making some breakthroughs that radically change the world for the better, are you saying their work is worthless?
Actually most of the great scientists charged NOTHING for their IDEA. Their gift to create was it's own reward. Of course, too many people who are obsessed with income and financial competition and simply can not feel any joy in creating. Of course they were often (though not always) materially compensated by, for example, being allowed to work in research institutes, private/govt grants, having the joy of being a college teacher, etc.

Your statement seems to indicate a person who's self worth is dependent on their job.

Status
Not open for further replies.