Microsoft: There's No Need for a New Xbox Yet

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sceen311

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
While pc's have greater capability then a console their much higher cost is a big turn off for a lot of people. And a lot of people don't enjoy sitting in front of a monitor for a couple hours and would rather be sitting in front of a 50" tv on the comfort of their couch, which is of course possible with a pc but a lot more work.

And what's easier then poping a disc into a console turning it on, and playing the game with'n 5 minutes? What pc game do bring home and do that with?

I still say, sony is going to come through in the end of this generation for the simple fact it has better processing power then the xbox and will be running 3d. Xbox will turn into a party machine and that's it with natal and sluggish hardware. All I'm saying is if done right, would you rather play COD in 2d on a xbox or be immersed in 3d on a ps3?

cloakster

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2007
[citation][nom]sceen311[/nom] All I'm saying is if done right, would you rather play COD in 2d on a xbox or be immersed in 3d on a ps3?[/citation]

Much rather be playing in 2D....all the extra immersing experience that the Wii brought is what killed it for me and that's why i have my PC and 360. There's a reason why a mouse and keyboard will always be the best for FPS gaming, because its so simple and works so well.

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
2015 is too long for me. I think the current experience created by the 360 is an awesome one. The software and online capabilities just work, and make everything much more enjoyable. BUT, the software cannot keep my attention at least for another 5 years. With announcements like that (though not official), I may just be building a new core i5 system this summer :)

I am not an avid pc gamer, but I think if there was a time for pc gaming to try and make a strong comeback, it's definitely now while current consoles REALLY start to age.

just my two cents

anonymousdude

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
[citation][nom]Chewbert[/nom]Well, it's good to be a PC gamer.. though I'm sure Natal will have some fun things, motion sensing in my experience is often played out by gimmicky games. What will really breathe new life into system is if developers peak out visuals and are forced to work on game-play and innovative ideas.[/citation]

I am waiting for the day that happens because graphics only go so far for a game. For me personally graphics add to the experience of the game while the actual game-play is what really sells a game for me.

[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]How many times have you upgraded hardware to play your games? How many times do die hard PC gamers in general upgrade their hardware to play the latest games? How many times have you upgraded your console's hardware to play the latest games?[/citation]

That's the beauty of the console for PC gaming. Developers have to work with the lowest common denominator, which in this case are consoles. As long as your graphics card is faster than the consoles then you will be able to play said game. This is also assuming that the rest of your parts are adequate. Also look at the prices of a decent graphics card nowadays. A graphics card that can play games on max settings at the 720p of consoles costs less than $100. A graphics card that can run games at 1080p at max settings can be had for roughly $200. A sub $100 graphics card, a $100 quad core CPU, a sub $100 board, $50 worth of memory a PSU, case, and drives which you can reuse. A PC of that caliber could run circles around any current gen consoles and would run well far into the future. You wouldn't need to upgrade anything for a while if you are okay with playing at a lower resolution or at a lower setting.

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]sceen311[/nom]While pc's have greater capability then a console their much higher cost is a big turn off for a lot of people. And a lot of people don't enjoy sitting in front of a monitor for a couple hours and would rather be sitting in front of a 50" tv on the comfort of their couch, which is of course possible with a pc but a lot more work. And what's easier then poping a disc into a console turning it on, and playing the game with'n 5 minutes? What pc game do bring home and do that with?I still say, sony is going to come through in the end of this generation for the simple fact it has better processing power then the xbox and will be running 3d. Xbox will turn into a party machine and that's it with natal and sluggish hardware. All I'm saying is if done right, would you rather play COD in 2d on a xbox or be immersed in 3d on a ps3?[/citation]

Well I don't know about that one. I do know which console currently holds the higher population of COD players, but that is irrelevant (somewhat) to what you are talking about.

At this point I really can't wrap my brain around playing games in 3d. For some reason I get the feeling I would get headaches and need to take a break every 30 minutes. BUT like you said if it's done correctly and its comfortable and it works, then maybe so. But then I'm still left with the conflict that IMO the online experience is better with the 360 (for now).

To tell you the truth I would rather see Sony beat Microsoft with better games rather than gimmicks. When I look at the two consoles, I look at the quality of games as well as the online experience. I could really care less about blu-ray, Netflix, Facebook. Just deliver the gaming goods.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
[citation][nom]hakesterman[/nom]PC's will never be supirior to consoles,never have and never will. Most people like just putting in a game and playing and not haveing to configure the entire pc each time they get a game. Also they don't want tobe bothered with Hard drive pauses and window crashes.[/citation]

I take it you haven't used a PS3 yet then? Let me see, PS3 seems to enjoy a 10-15min install for each new game I insert into the system now, not to mention the horrific loading times...

As far as I'm concerned the PS3 lost its advantage as a console when it started forcing game installs.

I'll admit the 360 and Wii still have that advantage over PC, but honestly thats the only advantage you get from a console and it seems to be one which is drifting off into oblivion.

blacksins

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
looks like there will be no directX "14" support for xbox360 players lol.. thank god im a PC gamer!! and btw serious gamers don't play with motion sensors things, my DeathAdder mouse is the best sensor for me :)

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I'm not sold on Natal but I think the 360 has another 1-2 more years of life left in it. By 2012 I'll be looking for another console and ready to move onto the next gen, but I'll admit that while the 360 isn't pushing the graphical power it's pumping out some great games.

One thing you can count on MS for is that they won't pull a Sony and keep the 360 alive while the 720 or whatever they call it is being pushed out. One of Sony's biggest problems this gen is the PS2 and people not wanting to make the leap to the next gen, but Sony made it worse by pushing out cheap versions of it while trying to make the PS3 the console of choice. You can't effectively support two consoles and expect to keep your market share.

bhaberle

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
"hakesterman - PC's will never be supirior to consoles,never have and never will. Most people like just putting in a game and playing and not haveing to configure the entire pc each time they get a game. Also they don't want to
be bothered with Hard drive pauses and window crashes. "

Hakesterman... who let you in house? Get out!

wdmso

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
Microsoft Sony want to Make money all they need to do is add a keyboard and mouse! and they'll pull over all the middle aged men like myself from the Mech 3 & Fighter Ace days who cant or don't want to relearn the Game Pad and own big screen tvs but still gaming on a PC.
they are missing a huge market

princeofdreams

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
This is really negative both for the console market, and the PC market. Games are developed across systems now, and the priority is always to develop for the xbox360, then the PS3 and finally the PC, if the consoles don't progress then PC gaming wont progress either.

This means less investment from companies like Nvidia and AMD/ATi in developing new graphic hardware, they wont develop unless there will be significant sales, and nothing coming out in the gaming side is pushing current cards, hence no need to upgrade your machine, hence no new development.

And to those of you who state that Console gaming is easier and cheaper really do need to wake up, console gaming is far more expensive over the lifetime of a console, each console game released is on average $20 more expensive the the PC equivalent, so if you buy 1 game per month, over the period you have your console (currently 5 years with a 360) 12 x $20 ==$240 per year, over 5 years that is $1,200 the is the extra a single gamer who only buys 1 game per month pays extra for his gaming privilege, i could build and unpgrade my pc lots with that money, then add the cost of your console, your HDTV your annual subscription just to play online, the console is NOT good value for money, but hey you guys be happy believing the hype MS & Sony feed you

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
[citation][nom]invlem[/nom]I take it you haven't used a PS3 yet then? Let me see, PS3 seems to enjoy a 10-15min install for each new game I insert into the system now, not to mention the horrific loading times...As far as I'm concerned the PS3 lost its advantage as a console when it started forcing game installs. I'll admit the 360 and Wii still have that advantage over PC, but honestly thats the only advantage you get from a console and it seems to be one which is drifting off into oblivion.[/citation]

If I were you I'd drop in a new hard drive, lets say a SSD into your PS3, I use a 500GB 7200RPM WD drive in my PS3 and it's not too bad. The one area that can't be upgraded for speed is the blu-ray player, it probably reads at 2x, and considering there's 6x or better readers out there, that might help along with a faster hard drive.

waxdart

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]frozenlead[/nom]You're joking, right? You do realize a console is a watered-down PC, right? You don't usually have to configure anything with a PC game - if it's so complicated, how is it so popular?[/citation]

Its doesn't have to be a water-down PC. They could make one that is a very specialized bit of kit that would blow the PC out of the water for at least 6 months :)

As the ps3 is so hard to code for; the longer life gives the devs more chance to get the most out of it. So there is more life in it yet.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
[citation][nom]festerovic[/nom]This is what I read:"We have lost $4 billion on this xbox thing. If we make another console, we lose the market share we have right now, and the only thing making money (software licenses) will dry up. So, we will continue to ride the current dominance into the future, and hopefully then we will make some money."[/citation]
I love how any comment with comon sense is thumb downed. I gave you one up for thie. MS as usual lets copy Wii like we copy everything else.

The xbox 360 is a great console and the software / games support is good.

From a hardware prespective it was a disaster when it entered the market.

The CPU and GPU both overheat, as does the external PSU - from a thermal perspective they just didn't do their homework ... insufficient airflow, poor heatsinks, poor choice of thermal paste.

It was clearly rushed to market and the executives paid the price by not listening to the hardware engineering team.

That said, MS honoured their warranty claims (ours died the 3RROD once) and promptly sent us a replacement.

The replacement has been fine ... we get up to 40 degree days here in Summer ... a worthy test for any electronic device ... and 4 teenage boys.

On that basis I'll keep supporting the product as it is a good one - the controllers are sturdy, the game support excellent, and the box seems to cope with the stress metered out by the kids.

I also have a Wi, PS2, XBOX, PS1, and 9 gaming PC's ... the 360 pwns the above.

I don't have a PS3 so I can't comment regarding them ... but the kids love the 360.

I don't see any competition in the near future ... at least 12 months.

Beyond that who knows?

We may have cybernetic implants by then ...

G

True, these consoles are only 4 generations of gfx hardware and 2 versions of DirectX out of date. No need to upgrade for years!

Shame PC game engines tend to be such console oriented junk, or the 500% performance advantage of a modern PC would be a lot more evident and might encourage a bit of progress.

crbriand

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
I think bridging the two platforms, PC and Console, is a great idea. Imagine having your regular generic cd/dvd drive on your pc, and then below it having your PS3/XBOX playable dvd drive. Pop in the game and the drive uses PC components to power the game at whatever settings your pc can pump out...everyone knows as a comment stated earlier that consoles are watered down pc's. I would buy both a PS3 and XBOX 360 if they could be integrated into my PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.