Microsoft Throws $300 Million Behind Barnes & Noble's Nook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoregie

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
Seems to me microsoft is trying to put windows 8 on everything to take over magority of the market much like they've done with PC market... there just throwing money at companys saying put our OS on it.. and everyone will follow... not that that's a bad thing could become quite good with LOTS of tweeking

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
Seems like a smart move. They'll (try to) be on equal grounds with Amazon/Android and Apple/iOS. I wish Windows 8 for tablets and WP8 really take so we can finally have some decent competition.

G

Damn and I own a Nook Color and like it. Now I'll have to move over to Kindle.

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
The Kindle Fire and Nook Tablet are really nice machines, especially for $199-$249. However, anyone who is smart would spend the extra cash for the Samsung 7" for $250, which is much faster, has ICS, and you can do Kindle and Nook.

Jdorty

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
[citation][nom]kawininjazx[/nom]The Kindle Fire and Nook Tablet are really nice machines, especially for $199-$249. However, anyone who is smart would spend the extra cash for the Samsung 7" for $250, which is much faster, has ICS, and you can do Kindle and Nook.[/citation]

Many people aren't looking at Nooks or Kindles for tablets, however. Kindles offer a great price point for a straight up E-BOOK reader, at $80.

My laptop is portable. It has more storage, is faster, and can do more than any tablet for a price in between a Kindle Fire and a iPad. My Kindle is cheap, and smaller/lighter than tablets for reading on the go or in bed.

Point being for many, many people your point is moot. Why get one device that can 'do it all', when you can get two devices that are much better at both, for a much better cost for what you're getting.

phamhlam

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
[citation][nom]Jdorty[/nom]Many people aren't looking at Nooks or Kindles for tablets, however. Kindles offer a great price point for a straight up E-BOOK reader, at $80.My laptop is portable. It has more storage, is faster, and can do more than any tablet for a price in between a Kindle Fire and a iPad. My Kindle is cheap, and smaller/lighter than tablets for reading on the go or in bed.Point being for many, many people your point is moot. Why get one device that can 'do it all', when you can get two devices that are much better at both, for a much better cost for what you're getting.[/citation]

Is your laptop faster than my tablet witha i5 CPU and a SSD?

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Microsoft and the Nook are both failures. Microsoft can't compete without monopoly leverage, and they don't have it here. Nook has simply lost the battle to Kindle. Windows 8 has already lost the battle to iOS and Android. Failure + Failure is not a good recipe for success.

Status
Not open for further replies.