Microsoft to Offer New Win7 Users Win8 Pro Upgrade at $15

Status
Not open for further replies.

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Frankly, I don't think they should be too concerned about hardware sales dropping... I for one am going to try to replace my laptop before that bomb drops...

Nice to know I'll have the upgrade option if it turns out to be better than I expect though.

gmarsack

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
I think M$ should offer the discount to all Windows 7 owners because it will take a massive discount for me to even think about buying Windows 8. I paid $300 for my copy of Windows 7 (well worth it), but after trying Windows 8 for all of an hour, I would probably not pay more than $15 if they offered it. ugg...

Windows Me 8

xerroz

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
[citation][nom]gmarsack[/nom]I think M$ should offer the discount to all Windows 7 owners because it will take a massive discount for me to even think about buying Windows 8. I paid $300 for my copy of Windows 7 (well worth it), but after trying Windows 8 for all of an hour, I would probably not pay more than $15 if they offered it. ugg... Windows Me 8[/citation]
after trying Windows 8 for all of an hour
There's your problem. That's not even enough time to get fully adjusted, let alone learn how to use it effectively

datawrecker

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]cozalp[/nom]I wouldn't pay even $1 until they make an option to disable metro ui and use the start menu[/citation]

That is an option....

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]xerroz[/nom]There's your problem. That's not even enough time to get fully adjusted, let alone learn how to use it effectively[/citation]
That is the point, though. Everyone who runs some previous M$ windows version does not necessarily have the time to "figure it out." IF M$ really wants a winner with this, the transition for their user base needs to be seamless and easy to make. Otherwise, it is likely to be a long, long time before 8 is widely accepted. The business world, where time always comes at a premium, is not likely to invest in 8 after just having transitioned to 7 even if the business world had the time to give their computer users to learn 8. Without the business world on board, 8 will be another vista or Me.

And this is a completely useless gesture for M$ to make in limiting this to people who purchase laptops. While this may be a deal for people who run laptops, it is consistent with where M$ wants to take the computer user world. Personally, I think M$ is in for another wake-up call with 8 - like it or not.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]datawrecker[/nom]That is an option....[/citation]
In your preview version, yes. However, M$ has announced that the release version will not have that option.

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
[citation][nom]gmarsack[/nom]I think M$ should offer the discount to all Windows 7 owners because it will take a massive discount for me to even think about buying Windows 8. I paid $300 for my copy of Windows 7 (well worth it), but after trying Windows 8 for all of an hour, I would probably not pay more than $15 if they offered it. ugg... Windows Me 8[/citation]

Me 2 I paid $300 for ultimate, these guys better give me some sort of nice discount.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]Socialdisorder[/nom]Didn't Windows 7 just come out......hahaWhat are we Call of Duty Windows now!?![/citation]

Windows 7 is like 4 or 5 years old... It came out in 2007 or 2008, I don't remember which.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]Windows 7 is like 4 or 5 years old... It came out in 2007 or 2008, I don't remember which.[/citation]

2009, my bad. Still it's not new.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
I never paid $300 for an OS.
I paid around $120-125 for Windows 7 *similar for XP* ... OEM of course, why pay for a box that
I have to throw away?

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010

I spent less than $300 on a 3 pack of windows 7 ... there's your first problem, second is in one hour you won't get the whole user experience I added windows 8 onto my laptop and had to spend a few days on it but I now genuinly like it more than wondows 7 and will be updrading to it as soon as they release a family pack of it for all my machines, i'll buy a single copy for my main pc as soon as it comes out the rest will have to wait i hope they do the oem fmaily pack again with windows 8 though, otherwise my htpc's might not all get updates

Status
Not open for further replies.