Microsoft Unveils Windows 10 with New Smart Menu

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hannibal

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
Have anybody been thinking that
in Xbox one is same as 01 in binary 01
Windows 10 is same as 2 in binary 10
and Windows 11 will be the same as 3 in binary 11 ...

Conspiracy!
;-)

gallidorn

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Here's an idea Microsoft.... Stop trying to convert the desktop into a tablet! Instead of spending so many resources to ram your concept down our throats, make your operating system run more efficiently and more stable.

Since everything is going to the Cloud, it really doesn't matter if your interface looks the same on every device, as long as the way you access your data is the same.

George Mulligan

Estimable
Sep 20, 2014
When Windows 8 came out and world collectively puked, MS scrambled to put out the 8.1 patch, which was supposedly going to bring back the start menu. Of course that was the textbook version of a farce.

I believe the hype about Windows 10 and the bringing back of the start menu is just that- hype. Oh, woe, let's give the power back to the people. Bullllllsh****t. MS still wants to create it's own monopolistic market, so they will continue to try to force non-keyboard device OSs on desktops.

Windows 7 will be the mainstay for years to come By they way, remember the promise to kill Windows 7, so that the computing world would be compelled to "learn" Windows 8?? LOL Only because the fat millionaires in Redmond wanted the cash flow to continue did Windows 7 survive. And it will outlive Windows 10 I'll wager.

bignick18

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
How come it seems people mostly come on here to complain about the most nit picky items they can seem to think of. I personally loved not having the start menu with 8 due to learning it before insulting it. Guess what its pretty good in many ways better than the start menu people beg for. I look forward to the additions 10 brings to the table. Instead of complaining about an obscure thing like its a deal breaker....

George Mulligan

Estimable
Sep 20, 2014

Whether you like the start button gone or not is not the point. Nit picky? Do the names WordPerfect and Netscape mean anything to you? This isn't as much about nuance preferences on the screen. It's about Microsoft trying to wrap their corrupt fingers around the throat of innovation and creativity as they have many times in the past. If MS is successful in their efforts to monopolize other device OSs as they did with the desktop computer, the words Android, Jellybean, Google, and Play Store will become as obscure as those others. Along the way, many will just eat the candy, clap at the videos, and oh yes, attack others who point out the corruption.

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
I considered upgrading to Windows 8 and went so far as to buy the Windows 8 upgrade CD when it was released, but never installed it sticking with Windows 7 on my mega machine. I have a cheap laptop that came pre-installed with Windows 8. It annoys me enough that I have refrained from using the Win 8 upgrade CD on the mega machine, though Windows 10 looks like it was created with input from the outside. With Windows 10, MS seems to have adapted to getting back to what people want in an OS.

I will definitely be upgrading the mega machine to Windows 10 based on the new features and the return of the real desktop.

miha2

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
Windows 9 isn't out yet, and they're creating Windows 10? Even though it's a Technical Preview, a "pre-pre-alpha" it still doesn't change anything - first they have to release Windows 9 TO SEE HOW USERS WILL EVALUATE IT, and then, after several Service Packs, which would make it better, release Windows 10, which will be "ideal". I'm not saying they have to stop working, I'm just saying if the story with Vista and Windows 8 repeats, nobody's going to buy it, and then they'll have to work hard once again. For that, they'll have to hire more people, only to lay them off when it's done. So, instead of repeating the old story, I'm saying they have to let the customers say what they think of Windows 9, and then to start working on Windows 10, doing what customers would say.

P.S. Really, just trying out the new Contest.
P.P.S. If Microsoft releases Windows 10 in 6 months after Windows 9, who'd buy any of the two? People would think they're both bad, and so wait until they're fixed. Right..?

ubercake, Microsoft says minimum system requirements for Windows 7/8 is 1 GB of memory. I say it this way: if your computer has less than 4 GB of memory, it's going to annoy you so much you'll want to go to the lake and drown that computer. I have 2 GB (1.75 active) and sometimes I have to wait for it to think through, to understand what I want from it, and that I want it fast. It really annoys me, and I am thinking about destroying it, but I'm just testing it, how long it can survive under heavy(though I should say heaviest) load. Also, there is another good thing - virtual machine. If you have enough memory, try that.

crooked windows

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
So its windows ten and they are shifting the front door AGAIN so is the jump to 10 caused by Inflation ? ... lost the Plot (again) ? .... cant count or plain dumbarse white collar morons at the top but it does explain why there's no common sense direction. I love that old analogy of the comparison between MS and Ford
they are just ...

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

My cheap laptop has 4GB of RAM. Memory is not the issue. Speed is not the issue.

It's getting the message that the login service isn't running when trying to login to the Windows 8 machine, or that the printer every other device in your house can print to - including others' iPhones - is showing as offline when trying to print from your Windows 8 machine or that you have to go to the MS knowledge base and find out which log files to clear out to get your Windows 8 updates running again because they keep erroring out. Also, no consistent feedback while the OS is being updated is another strange thing with the OS; sometimes it let's you know it's completing an update, other times, you just wait a little longer until the black screen goes away on startup.

These are a few of those annoyances that crop up every so often (not consistently or a majority of the time). Logging on - fundamental function. Printing - fundamental function. OS Updates - fundamental function. MS has been doing OSs long enough that the fundamentals shouldn't be an issue. You know?

Status
Not open for further replies.