Microsoft Welcomes Gay, Lesbian Info on Xbox Live

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]a gay human being[/nom]Someone who is straight cannot really see or feel how it would be to be gay, just as a gay person could not really fully understand the feeling of being straight. It is simply because we are immersed in our own particular persuasion. Bisexuals may be the most blessed of all, for they seem to be blind of the concept of gender, and have the ability to appreciate and desire potentially anyone as a mate. Being gay is a trait just as natural as being blonde; it would be obvious if it were faked. People should grow up and accept that fact. It's sad that most of society represses such natural expressions of attraction, resulting in unnecessary fear, confusion, humiliation, violence, etc. After all, if the world is so over-populated then maybe fully embracing those who are gay would be a good thing! kudos to MS for bringing us one tiny step closer to the era when same-sex couples will raise no more eye-brows than mixed-race couples.Some people have questioned the need for these new personal descriptors. Why do we even allow identification as male or female? When you are playing a game, you really don't care about their gender or whether they are just a very talented monkey! But such details embellish the experience, and allows players to express their personality. Plus, as mentioned above, society will slowly get a grip on and be more comfortable with the truth that a significant portion of the population is not exactly the same as they are. And this world could use a lot less stress.[/citation]
I still have family members against mixed race marriage. Bunch of hicks and idiots. I think my coworker is too. =/

of the way

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
Ruff, you're going about it the wrong way. I am very religious, and so I too believe that homosexuality is wrong. But you can't just tell people they're sick. You're not helping anything, even though it sounds like you're genuinely trying to. If people don't believe the Bible, then they aren't going to care what you think at all. Don't treat them any differently than you treat anyone else. They don't believe the Bible, so start there, since that's the big issue. If they stopped being homosexual, they would be no closer to heaven without the Bible.

G

Why is it needed to express your sexual preference in a video game???? I find people who NEED labels everywhere have issues. I would ban anti gay and gay statements specifically because there IS NO NEED for labels good or bad in a video game that describe your love or hate for a specific sexuality.

ruffhouseutah

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Ravewulf, I wish you well, I truly do. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

I have references to science that refutes every single point that you've made and then some, but what good is that? Scientists disagree all the time, and then contradict themselves repeatedly as new evidence comes to light, or as political pressures and personal bias find their way into their "studies".

For example, if you read a study in the Journal of Sex that says the AVERAGE homosexual male has 755 partners over a lifetime, would that change ANYTHING about how you feel about the health and normalcy of male homosexuals? Nope. And if you showed me a study showing how homosexual couples can rear perfectly healthy children (a farse if there ever was one), would it prove anything to me? Nope. Children need a mommy and a daddy for an optimal upbringing. Children without mommies have issues, as do children without daddies. No scientific study needed to prove what is painfully obvious to me, but is ridiculous to you.

I firmly believe we were put on this earth to have free agency to make choices for ourselves. You've made yours, I've made mine. I think you are literally sick and deluding yourself that you're not, you think I am judgmental, hateful, and not minding my own business. (after all, what business is it of mine what two other consenting adults do behind closed doors, right? well, that's not as good a point as it seems on the surface, but we'll leave that one for another day).

Like I say, let's agree to disagree, and I wish you well, but I will never stop standing up for the traditional family that you (and MicroSoft) are undermining by condoning homosexuality as normal, regular, even healthy. It simply isn't, and deep inside, you already know that.

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
We need an Age filter on Xbox live, so I can stop getting my ass kicked by 13year olds that have no life and play video games since they were born.

I have xbox live headphones, and playing online with a bunch of kids is not fun use of headphones :(

I wish there was an 18+ section on xbox live.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]ruffhouseutah[/nom]RE: taybYou said "There's nothing wrong with being gay"...Wow. Really? There has never been something so obviously wrong in human history. (and that statement has nothing to do with hate, though I'm sure you'll trot that tired "homophobe" stuff anyways).Just because it's becoming more accepted in popular culture doesn't mean it's right, biologically or morally. People struggling with same-sex attraction need professional help, not codification, which is the worst thing to do for them.Next time you take a shower take a good long look in the mirror, then look at a diagram of the plumbing of the opposite sex and then you'll know.[/citation]
FYI for you, morality is not a binary 0 1 thing, morality is "A system of ideas of right and wrong conduct" (def from websters). Last I checked, systems very form one place to another, so while for you homosexuality might be morally wrong for someone else it is not. If you don't like homosexuals so much just leave them alone and don't deal with them, but telling them they are morally wrong and should seek professional help just makes it sound like you are the one that needs the pro help.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]caitlinj[/nom]"Yes, there is a lot wrong with being gay, and it so painfully and biologically obvious that I don't need to detail it for you."Oh no, you do.You made a claim, now back it up.I daresay you have no problem with hot lesbians, correct?[/citation]
I have no problems with 2 hot lesbians going at it, well I lied, I do have one problem, that I am not with them but that is a personal problem... Continue with the hot girl on girl action!

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
@ruffhouseutah

The one source you have listed so far (Journal of Sex, http://www.sexscience.org/) supports MY points, not yours.

"About Us" page: http://www.sexscience.org/about/index.php
List of resources and references on their site: http://www.sexscience.org/uploads/media/resource_list.pdf

One of the sites from the "Related Sites" page:
http://nsrc.sfsu.edu/issues/sexual-identity
Which states:
"Ellen and Elton may be in the news, metrosexuals and heteroflexibles might be in vogue, but lesbians, gay men, bisexual, queer, transgender, and intersex (LGBTQI) people are still fighting an uphill battle when it comes to the everyday rights assumed by others. Here at the NSRC, we believe that a sexually literate society demands a thorough inclusion of all sexualities, and that healthy sexuality is best supported by full sexual and legal protections for all people. Though transgender and intersex identities are different than sexual orientation, we are including them here to recognize the struggle they share for acceptance and civil rights."

totheshed

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]maigo[/nom]What about asexual?[/citation]

Asexual means "without sex". What does that have to do with a sexual orientation?

Status
Not open for further replies.