News Microsoft Word just got a killer feature that puts Google Docs to shame

hhelmbold

Prominent
Jan 27, 2019
Google Docs has had this feature for a very long time actually. Tools>Voice Typing.
This is very true and Google Translate can transcribe in several languages... Google actually has several tools that can do this but you cannot expect someone who is using Google Docs just because it is free to actually write a sensible article? I mean.... it takes effort to do research on what you writing.

There are soooo many actual reasons to use Word over Google Docs but this is most definately not one of them. Rather write an article about using graphics in Google Docs as backgrounds or letterheads if you want to have a real reason

Aug 26, 2020
My understanding of this article is that the new feature to Word allows you to transcribe existing audio files, which is very useful to those that record voice notes on the go via their smartphones. Another possible use is to take an extracted audio stream from a video and then transcribe and edit it within Word (useful to quickly convert a video to an article). This is beyond simply a "voice typing" feature.

At a glance, I don't see a comprable "transcription" feature in Google Docs or as an add-on in the G-Suite marketplace.

Reactions: geolt3
Aug 26, 2020
This is very true and Google Translate can transcribe in several languages... Google actually has several tools that can do this but you cannot expect someone who is using Google Docs just because it is free to actually write a sensible article? I mean.... it takes effort to do research on what you writing.

There are soooo many actual reasons to use Word over Google Docs but this is most definately not one of them. Rather write an article about using graphics in Google Docs as backgrounds or letterheads if you want to have a real reason

Maybe you should provide examples instead of crapping on the author of the article, because there is no built in way to upload audio files to do this in Google Docs currently. Sure there are APIs and 3rd party services to support this, but it doesn't appear Google provides this in their own app.

Aug 26, 2020
I've been using Google Doc's to transcribe audio and video files for a while now. I just had to use a little ingenuity to get it done. It is correct that Doc's can not import and transcribe from an audio file directly...so, I just use a smart phone to play the audio/video file on a headset and then just place the speakers near the microphone of my computer that is running Google Doc's "Voice Typing". Yea, its a little effort and time but emphasis on "little". It's all about getting the job done economically with quality and if possible efficiently. I am also able to correct the transcribing as it types it out.

GeneralKarl

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009

Word is superior in creating graphics, backgrounds, and letterheads.