Microsoft: Xbox 360 Not Having Blu-ray is Good

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thejester420

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
These Xbox fanboys are all the same, everytime they try and compare PS3 to Xbox360, and they realize that the PS3 offers so much more value, ie; Blu-ray, Bluetooth, Wi-fi, included HDD which is cheaply upgradable, a system that doesn't fail.. They start bashing the features of the PS3

"we don't need blu-ray, I could get a stand alone player and have two machines drawing power in my house and have an extra remote lying around instead of having it all conveniently located in one device"

or

"HDD, who needs a HDD, 20gb is cheap and good enough, i enjoy not being able to install games on my console or having to constantly remove games and media to install new games and media"

ChumpBOX360, what a POS.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]sidran32[/nom]The 360 arcade sku is not useless.I bought it, as it was 50% of the PS3 cost, 2 years ago. I got a 20 GB HDD for free from my friend who upgraded his. ~I just recently (after 2 years!) bought a 120 GB HD which I use for game and video downloads. The memory card is a wonderful thing. I can bring it to my friend's house and plug it in,[/citation]

Comparing a HD-less system to a HD system is kinda useless - you say its 50%, but a FRIEND gave you his 20GB drive when he upgraded... so would you really have bought that 360 if that free HD wasn't there? Hmmm... Had you bought the HD, it would have cost you about $100. Since the release of the PS3, its price has mostly been $100 above the 360... once you added wireless and HD-DVD drive (back then), the price exceeded a PS3.

First you say, the HD isn't needed, you got a free 20GB.. ran out of space and then spent about $180 for the 120GB HD upgrade. Bwahahaha! You exceeded the purchase of a PS3... in which the owner can go anywhere and buy a 120GB drive for $40 and throw it in himself. But you need the MS upgrade kit to transfer the data as well. Hows the 500GB drive option for PS3 going? Memory card is a wonderful thing? You think MS invented the memory card? Sony uses USB sticks (thumb drives), $5 cards will work. $40~$50 for MS cards are a rip. The 60GB upgrade drive is still a $90 rip-off.

To the person that brought up backups... Microsoft knows what you purchased already.

Er... what about the data you copied to the console yourself and didn't buy from MS? MS is storing that? Much faster to copy the data from drive to drive than download it. Some people prefer to have actual backups, especially their own personal data.

If you lose your data due to a HD failure (which is unlikely, it is solid state), you can just redownload it for free.

LOL! What idiot told you the HDs in 360s were SSDs? Yeah, MS rapes its customers with its expensive HDD upgrades... but even today, a 120~128GB SSD goes for about $300~320. 64GB drives are about $180~200. And again, if your OWN data is on the drive, how is MS going to re-upload it for you?

So having a backup system is redundant.
And what about when MS takes down the xbox servers? The account is hacked? Your account is turned off, etc etc... then what?

On the XBox, I will not purchase any downloaded movies. However, you can stream all the content you like. With a basic cable Internet connection, that's more than enough speed. And you need zero hard drive space to stream with.

But streaming is useless if you've bought your movie, eh? And in some places, they are putting charges for data transfers... ouch. And as you've proven yourself... you BOUGHT the 120GB drive. Hmmm, guess that 512mb and 20GB drives were not enough after all, eh?

As of now, the 360 is NOW the more expensive console. Its sales last month were higher than PS3, but so many people have been buying them that the inventory is low, guess SONY was caught off guard. Yep, many wal-marts and retailers have NO PS3s to sell.

simplec1

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
Here are the raw numbers

PS3 XBOX 360

Console $299 $199
HDD 120 gig included 60 gig $99
1 Controller included included
Charger for controller
USB cable included $20
Wifi add-on included $89
Online access free $49 per year
1080 Hardware playback
Blu-Ray None

Total Cost $299 $456 + $49 per year
for XBL

For all the fanboys I have both systems and THE PS3 wins hands in terms of cost let's not factor in that i'm on my 3rd XBOX (RROD anyone?????) or game titles at the moment. Simple numbers show that PS3 is cheaper per year in the long run, lets not forget that PS3 has built in blue tooth and can use external devices, usb keyboard, memory cards etc and and last but not least it has a that if the game was made in in 1080 it plays it in 1080 unlike the xbox which DOES UP-SAMPLE to 1080 when in fact it the game is actually 720p.(there are some games that are 1080p but not many) One other thing, if your consoles are networked to your pc. Which mine are BTW, then playing HD footage on your xbox is a chore because the pc has to pre-render the footage and stream it, to play it. Don't believe me look at your task manager and watch you cpu spike with windows media player, the xbox will only play supported codecs. (wma,wmv,mp3,mpg and a few other) but the PS3 does the all of the decoding itself. Now granted there are some good games for the xbox but if FF XIII is any indication of the direction games are headed. Then games are going to start getting bigger and bigger... we'll see who has the last laugh in the store when I'm buying that new game for my PS3 and you have to by a bigger hdd plus the game....

drip50291

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
RETARDED! ppl need to stop being cheap. quality is the key. I'm not here to dispute PS3 or X360, but seriously this is like two knife companies where one make a plastic knife and the other makes a bowie and the plastic manufacturer is saying theirs is better bc its cheaper and more ppl are buying it. Well ppl are stupid and poor. just bc something sells more and is cheaper means nothing of greatness.

mycpumelted

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
I think that microsoft has lost a lot of sales w/o a bluray drive. Many non-gamers have bought the ps3 just for bluray. $100 isnt too significant to most people. and alot of gamers would like not to have multiple discs for games like Forza 3 and final fantasy 13.

mycpumelted

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
[citation][nom]thejester420[/nom]These Xbox fanboys are all the same, everytime they try and compare PS3 to Xbox360, and they realize that the PS3 offers so much more value, ie; Blu-ray, Bluetooth, Wi-fi, included HDD which is cheaply upgradable, a system that doesn't fail.. They start bashing the features of the PS3 "we don't need blu-ray, I could get a stand alone player and have two machines drawing power in my house and have an extra remote lying around instead of having it all conveniently located in one device" or "HDD, who needs a HDD, 20gb is cheap and good enough, i enjoy not being able to install games on my console or having to constantly remove games and media to install new games and media" ChumpBOX360, what a POS.[/citation]

agreed. i really enjoy my 360. but i think anyone who doesnt agree that the ps3 is a better system is an idiot. but when it comes down to it its best to by whatever system most of your friends have. That the only reason why i have a 360 is for system link lan parties and online game play with the majority of my friends.

my only complaint with the ps3 is the lack of backwards capabilty for ps2/psx games and thats not a big deal. Its just with backwards capabilty i would consider it the PERFECT current gen system.

basically ps3 and 360 are both great systems as long as your not gaming on a wii. LOL

theroguex

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
[citation][nom]nonstoprobot[/nom]My first 3rd gen was a 360, only because I got an elite for $150.[/citation]

3rd Gen? The 360 and PS3 belong to the 7th Generation of video game consoles... where did you get 3rd Gen?

theroguex

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
Oh, and sorry for the double-post.. Why are there so many arguments over this, anyway? Who cares which one is better? Buy both, like I did. I did it during the PS2/X-Box/Gamecube era, and I'll continue doing it for as long as they keep making systems.

danimal_the_animal

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006
360 cant do ALL 1080p movies....I ripped my entire collection to mp4 format and have them on my freenas box 5.4TB of goodness. some movies play fine while others.....its obvious the onboard video of the xbox360 cannot keep up during high motion videos. i would know since i have windows media center and 3 xbox360's tied into it...recorded shows are great on the 360's as extenders....just not ALL movies can play in 1080p smoothly.
my PS3 doesnt have this problem, but the PS3 SUCKS because it will not allow you to stream a movie if its over 4gb in size!!!!! but it will let you watch recorded shows from mythtv (yep i have one of those also) and from windows media center.

BOTH systems have their imperfections!

WHY CANT SONY lift the 4gb barrier on streaming video from my file server?

you know they did it on purpose!

unfortunatly the xbox360 is the only extender out there....and MS wont release a blueray player because as i have seen myself....it cannot play back all 1080p content smoothly...just wish they could admit that!

I'm curious on how the PS3 will work as a DVR!

danimal_the_animal

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006
360 cant do ALL 1080p movies....I ripped my entire collection to mp4 format and have them on my freenas box 5.4TB of goodness. some movies play fine while others.....its obvious the onboard video of the xbox360 cannot keep up during high motion videos. i would know since i have windows media center and 3 xbox360's tied into it...recorded shows are great on the 360's as extenders....just not ALL movies can play in 1080p smoothly.
my PS3 doesn't have this problem, but the PS3 SUCKS because it will not allow you to stream a movie if its over 4gb in size!!!!! but it will let you watch recorded shows from mythtv (yep i have one of those also) and from windows media center.

BOTH systems have their imperfections!

WHY CANT SONY lift the 4gb barrier on streaming video from my file server?

you know they did it on purpose!

unfortunately the xbox360 is the only extender out there....and MS wont release a blue-ray player because as i have seen myself....it cannot play back all 1080p content smoothly...just wish they could admit that!

I'm curious on how the PS3 will work as a DVR!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS