Microsoft's Decision To Kill The Courier Tablet Explained

Status
Not open for further replies.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
So... instead of MAKING an app, they kill the whole device? :heink: On the other hand, I appreciate Gates blocking another crappy device from entering the market. I wish all tablets would disappear.

waethorn

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Anybody that says this would be an "iPad-killer" just doesn't get it. It isn't. It's a digital scrapbook. Think of it as a hardware version of OneNote - on steroids (and possibly acid too). It was NOT meant to be a consumer device.

Flamango

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
MR. ROSS. You're an idiot. As an artist and a designer I'd KILL for this level of functionality and fluidity. DAMN YOU and your stupid concepts of what needs to be "right" for an electronic device. The world doesn't need idiots like you talking down content creation devices just because they can't check email! This is meant to replace a real life notebook, you know the one with pages? Can a piece of paper check email? No. Do I really want the medium for my creative outlet to be reminding of my ties and obligations to the real world? No. Bill Gates is an idiot. Nobody in the electronics world has the heart to gives us artists the one thing that we'd really love and appreciate without burdening it with "connectivity" and "special offers". It's so stupid. I'm sorry you aren't in agreement with me, maybe if you were our electronic devices would actually be cool and functional and specialized. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
I'm glad this didn't come out. It would've been another Zune to Apple's iPod. Why use advanced technology to replicate the functionality of ancient technology?

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
...don't they already have tablet computers for drawing on? And what was this guy expecting people to do if they needed computer functionality on the road - carry around this thing AND a laptop?

Plus I'm sure with two screens and decent hardware for handling the interface and displays, it would not have come cheap. So you'd pay through the nose for something that can't even do what a netbook can do, even though it should surely have the necessary power under the hood.

G

i don't get it, how hard it would be to develop an email client for a company like Microsoft ? This is just the stupid reason to cancel the tablet. There would definitely be something else but not this.

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Luckily, RIM decided to make a tablet that required it be tethered to a blackberry for things such as email, just to show mr. Gates how right he was.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]Flamango[/nom]MR. ROSS. You're an idiot. As an artist and a designer I'd KILL for this level of functionality and fluidity. ....without burdening it with "connectivity" and "special offers". It's so stupid. I'm sorry you aren't in agreement with me, maybe if you were our electronic devices would actually be cool and functional and specialized. Stupid, stupid, stupid.[/citation]

Er...i see your point, though i wish you wouldn't have been so strong in your approach.

[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]I'm glad this didn't come out. It would've been another Zune to Apple's iPod. Why use advanced technology to replicate the functionality of ancient technology?[/citation]
To save trees, save space, lessen your load, etc. Also, think about it, we use touchscreen buttons instead of regular 40 year old (in concept) buttons. Isn't that a replication of ancient tech?
======

This was a really good concept. They should have simply added the mail client. This could have been a great product. Maybe not for the general consumer, but, suitably priced, it would have been great for many professionals and especially students. I know a lot of people buying tablets and e-readers to avoid carrying books to college. This could have been great. And there's so much potential. It doesn't have to do a million things, could simply take notes and offer some communication ability (BBM-style cross-platform messenger along with mail to wi-fi/2G/3G data networks, video conferencing could have been dropped) and music (again, video playback could be 720p at the most). This would make a good e-reader too. Games could have been skipped entirely. This would also integrate nicely with Windows.

Sometimes i wish microsoft took risks that apple takes. Releasing this with the iPad would have split the market into two groups, content creation+mild consumption vs mostly consumption. Why do truly useful things rarely make it to production?

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Strangely enough they'll end up selling a modified version of Windows 8 for tablets. Why was it an issue when this was being discussed?

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Read through the full article...it's very interesting! Now i just feel really disappointed that it didn't make it through to production. It had two 7-inch screens! And text could have been written on one blank screen, while the word processor/mail client/text box/whatever registered the words and displayed the outcome (and the rest of the app) on the other.

If i were given a choice between a free ipad and a $500-$600 Courier, i'd pick the Courier any day. I hope they (someone, anyone) make a device like this in the future.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom] Why use advanced technology to replicate the functionality of ancient technology?[/citation]

If they didnt apple wouldnt exist.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Thunderfox[/nom]...don't they already have tablet computers for drawing on? And what was this guy expecting people to do if they needed computer functionality on the road - carry around this thing AND a laptop? Plus I'm sure with two screens and decent hardware for handling the interface and displays, it would not have come cheap. So you'd pay through the nose for something that can't even do what a netbook can do, even though it should surely have the necessary power under the hood.[/citation]

the tablets i am thinking of, with a screen are well over 1000$ for anything decent, and i believe 2500 for a 1080p

[citation][nom]mstrmind[/nom]i don't get it, how hard it would be to develop an email client for a company like Microsoft ? This is just the stupid reason to cancel the tablet. There would definitely be something else but not this.[/citation]

if he didnt want an email client, you have to imagine what else he didnt put into it, that would have taken serious money to fix...

i think the point was a it would cost this much to fix, but we would be looking at about x proffit, not worth the effort, scrap the project and try to re purpose anything we got from it.

G

The topic of email nailed it, Microsoft did something right on the thinking when RIM tripped. It would be no more than a niche product that appealed to 10% of the population and only 5% would consider getting it.

Apple had the experience of Newton line to get it right on the iLine.

G

I so wanted one of these. The concept videos were amazing. For me it was the most interesting product Microsoft has ever started and I was really disappointed when it got scrapped.

G

"Apparently, it was the lack of any kind of built-in email app that made Bill's mind up. If true, this reveals an amazing lack of vision on Allard's part."

Well, I think this reveals an amazing lack of vision on Bill Gates's part. He could have Allard include an e-mail interface, and give the project a "Go". Then, gaining on experience and listening to the Courier community, they could have shaped it accordingly.

It's strange that BG killed such a project, while he has given the green light to projects you could feel would die off. Then again, 640K of RAM should be enough for everyone...

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
Stupid concept really.

While you're focusing on one screen (reading, drawing, whatever), the other screen slowly drains the battery away.

Think about it. Let's say you're reading a book. You read one page for 45 seconds or a minute, then for the other page about the same. You're basically wasting half the battery time when you're not looking at the other page. If it was colour e-Ink it may have stood a chance, because it uses much less power than an LCD once the macro molecules used for ink are in position.

Status
Not open for further replies.