Oct 9, 2021
OS X El Capitan
Version 10.11.6
MacBook Pro (13- inc h, Mid 2012)
Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core iS
Memory 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Startup Disk 500GB Macintosh SSD
Graphics Inte l HO Graphics 4000 1536 MB

Seems to be getting cranky and I wonder if the OS needs updating. Apple says it can update to Catalina (last one on the MacBook Pro list) : https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210222

A couple of concerns: 1) I have InDesign 2015 and several 2017 Adobe apps installed. Would the update make them unusable? 2) I've found other updates have deleted some functions. I'm concerned that Catalina might shut off the onboard CD drive, which I still use.

Buying a new laptop is not an option right now. My needs are simple. Most involve the internet. I'm getting more and more messages to update my browsers but the machine won't accept the updates.

If you reply, pls assume you are talking to someone who knows very little about the subject.

Many thanks for your help, PW

Solution
A couple of concerns: 1) I have InDesign 2015 and several 2017 Adobe apps installed. Would the update make them unusable? 2) I've found other updates have deleted some functions. I'm concerned that Catalina might shut off the onboard CD drive, which I still use.

macOS Catalina does not support 32-bit apps.

More Info Here

I don't know if InDesign 2015 or other 2017 Adobe apps are 32-bit, but if they are you may want to hold off.

You could also try upgrading to just High Sierra.

Download Links Here

Scroll down to the "Use Safari To Download macOS On Your Mac" section near the bottom. Click the "macOS High Sierra 10.13" link. It will prompt you to open the App Store and upgrade that way. Mojave...

CParsons

Estimable
Staff member
Dec 4, 2019

I see no reason as to why any of those things would stop working. The apps still have support much later than that, and Catalina still supports the CD drive.

Oct 24, 2021

macOS Catalina does not support 32-bit apps.

More Info Here

I don't know if InDesign 2015 or other 2017 Adobe apps are 32-bit, but if they are you may want to hold off.

You could also try upgrading to just High Sierra.

Download Links Here

Scroll down to the "Use Safari To Download macOS On Your Mac" section near the bottom. Click the "macOS High Sierra 10.13" link. It will prompt you to open the App Store and upgrade that way. Mojave should be fine too, but I'd see if HS works first.

Last edited:
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.