Millions of Home Routers Will Soon Be Hacked

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

intelliclint

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
Smoothwall is a good idea, I use Clear OS formerly known as Clark Connect. Both offer way more then any home router. I do have a home router but it just an AP now because it is cheaper then an AP. I do like the Linux solution as I can have a proxy, antivirus, intrusion detection, PPTP or SSL VPN endpoint, web server, NAS, DLNA server, and even more rolled into one. Then VPN has been great for road warrior access to files and remote desktops that I would never trust a simple router or hosting site to perform.

A lot of people I know have these routers I recommend having one over directly hooking a PC to any broadband connection, even if you aren't sharing the connection. I will have to check my friends and family to make sure they have changed their passwords.

extremepcs

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
[citation][nom]teknic111[/nom]@extremepcs...your wpa2 + radius + complex password will not protect you from this kind of attack![/citation]

How do you figure? I know it's not a wireless exploit - I have a complex password. Besides, I use Smoothwall anyway!

G

Lol, Sandmanwn has the answer. I Baffle'm with real looking BS. Its easy to mess up good data and copy it. And I also do all the right things too. It takes time to find the real diamonds in a pile of fakes, thus an easier target becomes more attractive. Or they make off quick with BS data!EX: Lilly Munster 1313 Mockingbird Lane...

asjflask

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
I'll trust a con artist to handle my bank account before I trust Obama with anything else in this world. He's jacked things up enough.

zachary k

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
if he wanted this to be more impressive, he will make a virus, that infects millions of routers, and FIXES security holes. would it be evil, or good?

subgum

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]zachary k[/nom]if he wanted this to be more impressive, he will make a virus, that infects millions of routers, and FIXES security holes. would it be evil, or good?[/citation]
I like it!

G

My password is "12345," not "admin." Hackproof!

Between this utility and the consumer WIFI data that Google has been mining for the last 5 years you could really have some fun.....

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]dameon_bananaman[/nom]luckily i changed my password to Password2 so he will never be able to get in lol[/citation]

Dude, the only thing worse than broadcasting your password to the world, is broadcasting my password to the world...now I have to go home and change it...not cool.

G

What a douchebag. It still takes an idiot to have this happen to them.

smile9999

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
well mine is not on the list but its a linksys so I am not sure I am out of the water yet, good technique to get things done although very aggressive

Status
Not open for further replies.