Millions of Home Routers Will Soon Be Hacked

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
So, in order to force car manufacturers to make the windows more secure would this guy stand on an overpass and throw bricks at cars?

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]asjflask[/nom]I'll trust a con artist to handle my bank account before I trust Obama with anything else in this world. He's jacked things up enough.[/citation]
Obama has done more than any other president in the history of the USA, but he hasn't done enough. Health care should be controlled by the government because unlike private insurance companies the government knows what's best for everyone. Back on topic, if you use a program like KeePass (100% free with no ads or registration required) to generate a complex password for your router you will be immune from this attack. If your password can't be determined by a brute force attack then your router can't be hacked by this attack.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]husker[/nom]So, in order to force car manufacturers to make the windows more secure would this guy stand on an overpass and throw bricks at cars?[/citation]
Yes.

eric_son

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
[citation][nom]amnotanoobie[/nom]Also wondering the same thing, would the mentioned routers still be vulnerable when running DD-WRT/Tomato/OpenWRT?[/citation]

I was contemplating on taking the DD-WRT plunge since my router's warranty has already expired. But then I saw my router model and f/w revision is on the safe list.

Hmm......

G

Love to see what happens when some punk tinkers with a businesses data and gets caught, Congratulations Craig Heffner you are now acting as an accomplice in a cyber crime. I could be way off but still, makes sense to me.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]Hmm... yeah, cause grandma and mom and dad and your aunt susan and brother-in-law phil all know what firmware is and what "update your firmware" means. Is this guy releasing the hack going to go into the millions of homes that currently use these routers and upgrade them? No? Even if Linksys and Netgear and everyone updates their products, the defective products will still exist in peoples homes. Is this researcher going to refund everyone the money they spent on insecure routers so they can buy new routers? No?Then I guess all this asshole has done is give script kiddies more tools to hack unsuspecting individuals. Way to go, like we need more dickheads in the world.[/citation]
+1000. Shoot the idiot.

joneb

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
How does this all affect a computer connected by wire to a cable modem only and therefore using no router and not wireless? Would a software firewall not protect? This is of major concern considering what criminals can get up to accessing and controlling a computer. I would really appreciate honest and hopefully friendly feedback.

georgeisdead

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
You cannot use the old argument "The ends justify the means". It's like that episode of criminal minds where the guy engineered and planned to release a strain of anthrax just to draw attention to the nation's security holes. As a professional, I speak from experience when I tell you that the primary mandate of any scientist/engineer is to PROTECT THE PUBLIC. Releasing a tool that puts hundreds of thousands of people at risk of having their identity stolen or personal information stolen is reckless and in my opinion criminal.

G

It seems that Linux firmware loaded into a WRT546 and providing configuration only via SSH or (better yet) a separate RS-232 port elimates the problem.

It is all the fancy HTML configuration screens that the exploit uses.

Status
Not open for further replies.