Mimo Photo Frame Will Print Your Pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
The fundamental problem with devices like this and digital picture frames is that they will get stolen from the workplace, which is where most people would employ such a device. Hell, I've had my cell phone charger stolen, and that's a $10 item. Digital picture frame/printer? I could start a pool as to how quickly it would go missing.

ssalim

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2007
It's useless. Convenience is not worth the cost and don't forget the maintenance required. Better use computer or external service instead.

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
jellico where in the hell do you work with that has a bunch of kleptomaniacs?

I do see a use for digital picture frames. I mean who wants to have hundreds of pictures lining the walls? Unless you like that look, i guess it's a personal preference.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
I agree with ssalim, although I'd like to have a full-sized frame (something like 24"x48") to display a life-like pieces of art. One day you have the Mona Lisa, the next you have the Sunflowers. Such a toy would be quite expensive though.

G

I never understood why anyone would want to pay $100+ for a picture frame (LCD) when for twice that money, (or even 175) one can buy a netbook that can not only watch pictures but do so much more.

A desk that's full of tools I daily use, has no place for photo frames, let alone with added printer that can only print small photo's.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]tester24[/nom]jellico where in the hell do you work with that has a bunch of kleptomaniacs?[/citation]
I'm do some systems analysis work for a large health care organization in Albuquerque, NM; so, I'm in cube-city. I don't believe it's my collegues, rather I suspect the cleaning or maintanence crews since they are contractors rather than direct employees of the company, and they are only ones around after the offices are vacated in the evening.

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Yep had the same thing happen at my last job well not to me at least. Someone left their mp3 player on their desk charging overnight (normally this would be fine) one of the maintenance contractors replacing the light bulbs took it... got to love security cameras. Funny thing was he was caught using it the next time he came in.

jerther

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
This can only lead to one final situation:

DRIED INK IN PRINT HEADS, PRINT UNIT DEAD

and now you're stuck with a bulky ordinary picture frame.

I hate these all-in-one solutions...

G

Looks like a dye-sub printer (like my canon cp-220), so it wouldn't have a print head to clog.

jerther

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
[citation][nom]hamsterdan[/nom]Looks like a dye-sub printer (like my canon cp-220), so it wouldn't have a print head to clog.[/citation]
Oh, you seem to be right

JohnnyLucky

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
One of my girlfriends received a digital photo frame as a gift from her daughter last Christmas. The novelty wore off very quickly. She already has a printer capable of printing photos.

jivdis1x

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
when the digital picture frame is no more than twice the cost of a standard one then I may consider one. It also need to be energy efficient as a wall clock.

crikey2

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
jellico: throw a webcam on the front plate and have the device do motion sensing video logging to an smb share over wi-fi. That'll catch the thievin' bstards!

G

No one mentioning that Mimo is a network feature pertaining to 802.11 transmission with multiple radios/receivers and that iMo is the name of the company manufacturing this device? Or the fact that the article header, article keywords, article overview, AND opening paragraph have the same error?

Status
Not open for further replies.